Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2005 SEEG Compensator  (Read 2001 times)

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
2005 SEEG Compensator
« on: November 21, 2017, 10:29:10 AM »

Still trying to figure this one out.  Was riding Sunday on the Interstate and felt a slight hesitation at about 80.  Started to hear a "ticking" noise which was quite loud when I got off the exit.  Sounded down low (primary area) but no other symptoms.  Bike ran fine, shifted fine, just a very noticeable rattle.  Got it home and started looking.  Drained Primary fluid which was dirty but no metal.  Pulled the primary chain inspection cover and found excessive play in the primary chain.  Had the primary off about 2K miles ago to replace a shift shaft seal and bike has been running fine since.

Need to do some digging to see why the primary chain is so loose.  My question is about the compensator.  Is there a way to inspect it without taking it apart/off the bike?  Still not sure that this is the issue as in believe the 2005 compensators are the "good" ones.  Bike has about 56K on it and regularly maintained.  Never had an issue with a primary chain loosening up for
no reason but I'll be pulling the primary cover for a complete inspection.  Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Chris 
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 2005 SEEG Compensator
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 01:14:33 PM »

Still trying to figure this one out.  Was riding Sunday on the Interstate and felt a slight hesitation at about 80.  Started to hear a "ticking" noise which was quite loud when I got off the exit.  Sounded down low (primary area) but no other symptoms.  Bike ran fine, shifted fine, just a very noticeable rattle.  Got it home and started looking.  Drained Primary fluid which was dirty but no metal.  Pulled the primary chain inspection cover and found excessive play in the primary chain.  Had the primary off about 2K miles ago to replace a shift shaft seal and bike has been running fine since.

Need to do some digging to see why the primary chain is so loose.  My question is about the compensator.  Is there a way to inspect it without taking it apart/off the bike?  Still not sure that this is the issue as in believe the 2005 compensators are the "good" ones.  Bike has about 56K on it and regularly maintained.  Never had an issue with a primary chain loosening up for
no reason but I'll be pulling the primary cover for a complete inspection.  Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Chris

Those compensators were "the good ones" so far as parts reliability is concerned.  They did have an issue with simply coming loose though.  Make sure the comp nut is properly torqued using the "new" torque procedure that was released when the bikes were about a year old.  I'm not where I can look it up at home right now but if memory is good the torque is pull to 90 ft pds than another 45 degrees.

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 01:25:39 PM »

It was reassembled properly - followed the new procedure.  Quite a PITA cleaning all the old Loctite out and prepping the threads.  I'll check it once the cover is off.  The noise never changed - accelerating, decelerating.  I'm pretty sure it's the slack in the chain, just need to find out why.

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 01:32:07 PM »

are you sure the shoe just did not come loose

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 02:22:29 PM »

When you open it up, see if any play on the Clutch side ~ could be the Clutch Hub Splines??
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 03:53:48 PM »

When you open it up, see if any play on the Clutch side ~ could be the Clutch Hub Splines??

Hope not.  That gets expensive and it's a dangerous failure.  So if it's even a thought definitely something he should check. 

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 06:40:59 PM »

Hope not.  That gets expensive and it's a dangerous failure.  So if it's even a thought definitely something he should check.

Yea, I'd be taking a good look to determine why all of a sudden a new noise and a loose Chain :nervous: :nervous:

Last year, when upgrading the  :cherry: Charging System to Cycle Electric 3 phase, noticed the Splines fragmenting in the Clutch Hub at 64k miles, no symptoms/signs/noises/chain tight,,, Clutch working fine...

'Found new Clutch Assembly online for $400...

The good side,,, there was no additional damage or labor :coolblue:

The Really Good side,,, 'Caught it before it became catastrophic :o 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:45:51 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 07:05:39 PM »

Replace the nylon locknut holding the shoe assembly to the toothed adjuster mount.  These often loosen and allow the shoe to drop.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 09:39:25 PM »

The Really Good side,,, 'Caught it before it became catastrophic :o

I wasn't that lucky on the Road King I had before the Red bike.  Was riding a lot more then than recently so that bike had a few miles.  Was coming down an on ramp on to I80 out west and got on it to get in front of a semi.  First a weird whirring noise then a sick thrashing noise.  No doubt I should have noticed something prior to it turning loose but it never game me enough of a clue.  That was an ugly fix a long way from home.  But, not to get too far off topic, the compensator nut was tight!  :pineapple:

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 07:32:38 PM »

Anytime I have a primary cover off a bike that has the single bolt pivot style chain tensioner I always convert the set up to the earlier style with an outboard plate. That boxes in the pad, and won't let it ride down toward the outside of the primary cover from putting strain on the single pivot bolt.
John

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 01:01:01 PM »

Update.  Prior to pulling the primary I thought I would check a couple "easier" things as noises on these motors can come from anywhere.  Pulled the pushrod covers and at TDC the rear exhaust pushrod will freely move up and down off of the lifter.  Adjustment nut is tight and same (close) number of threads showing as the others.  The rattle sounds very familiar!

Did not get a chance to pull the lifter to check it but it appears to be collapsed or stuck.  2005 SEEG 103".  Motor is stock except for Zippers 575 gear drive cams.  Called Eric at AMS to get a set of the SE lifters (should have done this years ago) and it will be a few weeks until he gets some more in.  Will pull the lifter later but all fluids look good no metal shavings noted and the pushrod is straight.

Still need to track down the "loose" primary chain but after measuring, it is only slightly out of spec.  Adjuster looks good (it is tight) and everything else I can see looks OK.  Hopefully the lifter is my only problem and hopefully it is minor.

Chris

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.