Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crankwork ?  (Read 2087 times)

LMR

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

Crankwork ?
« on: December 06, 2017, 09:14:36 AM »

My bike is a 16 flhtkse with a 110 motor. Is there a rule of thumb as to when the crankshaft should be welded or beefed up in some way ? The reason I ask is I see quite a few people putting cams , big bores and ported heads to their bike. I personally would like to have the heads massaged and up the compression . The ultimate goal is to add a sidecar, so there is extra weight. What say the masses?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Crankwork ?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 03:08:57 PM »

When you get into performance work the crank becomes a bigger concern if its not already one.   In the old days .003 was the tolerance it was moved to .013 in the 07 bikes.   Most bikes are seeing around the .007 now from the factory.   So if your doing any real mods to the engine I would suggest it.   In some cases its cheaper to just buy better than try and correct and weld whats there.   I have done all 3 of the choices (weld/balanced stock crank with better rods, buy S&S, buy S&S and weld it, buy Jim's and have them weld it, buy jims have them weld it then have Darkhorse fix it and reweld it, and buy 3pr crank) in the last go around(s) opted to go to P3R a rebuild able crank in 2 bikes.  If it chits the bed I ship it off and just pay to rebuild it vs. buy again and then also get it re-welded etc the costs add up although you hope never to have to worry about after you pay for it.   Is it cheap nope, but I felt you get what you pay for.   I just had a rod stretch in an S&S motor (S&S crank) don't believe it was the crank that was at fault to start it, just the end result do to a Timken spinning.  No matter the cause I still needed another crank.  With the 3PR I put in the Carrillo Rods and balance setup I wanted, as well as the ability for the Cryogenics which I opted for on the last motor.  Next time I do a crank it will be 3PR but will probably opt for the Ultima Rod for the street and save a few hundred bucks to boot. 

Good luck with this.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

LMR

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 12:29:55 PM »

Seeing how nobody else had input, I am wondering if it has more to do with riding style than horsepower.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 02:28:15 PM »

Talk to whoever is going to do the motor work for you.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 02:52:57 PM »

Seeing how nobody else had input, I am wondering if it has more to do with riding style than horsepower.

In many cases it has more to do with "the luck of the draw".  We hear of fewer scissored cranks these days than we did in 2007 - 2010, but they still happen.  As long as Harley uses a multi-piece press fit design, some will fail.  The trick is in predicting which ones will be the ones to fail.

Even if you decide to leave the crank alone, I'd still recommend checking the pinion shaft runout when you have the cam chest opened up.  The average late model Twin Cam comes from the factory with more runout than what used to be the wear limit on the older Twin Cams.  That isn't good for oil pump life/reliability.

JMHO - Jerry
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 09:13:01 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 04:19:25 PM »

Get a s&s flywheel,,no need toweld it,it wont move.

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.