Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: LED Headlight  (Read 4510 times)

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
LED Headlight
« on: December 09, 2017, 04:55:40 PM »

I have a 2010 CVO ULTRA CLASSIC with the stock headlight. I hardly ever ride at night, so I have never been concerned about changing the headlight. UNTIL NOW. A truck pulled in front of one of my neighbors in plain daylight last week. He t-boned the truck at 60 mph. The guy said he never saw him, and that he only saw the brighter car lights behind him. After a "toy run" last weekend, i noticed how dim many of the bikes in that run were. A Honda Goldwing behind me was actually yellowish. The bikes with the newer LED's are 5 times as bright as those without. anyone got any suggestions? I want to change headlight as well as passing lights. I also want a light that keeps low beam on when changing to high beam.  The day Maker? Halo Maker? Vision X? or ???  From what I read on line the Vision X is the one to get. It is pricey for the headlight, passing lights and harness to keep low beams on when changing to high beam is around $700.00    If thats's what it takes---so be it. Just want to be sure I am covering all bases before purchasing. By the way, my neighbor received a broken pelvis, broken collar bone, a shattered thumb, torn knee tendons and road rash, and will be in hospital for 30 days minimum.  Thanks for your input

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: LED Headlight
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 05:18:50 PM »

I think many headlamps keep the low beam on when turning on high beams.   :nixweiss:

What you might be thinking of: HD makes a harness (about $30, probably) for non-CANBUS bikes that lets the passing lamps stay on when the high beam is on; IIRC, the dealer can program CANBUS bikes to keep passing lamps on with high beams.

When I replaced the halogens in my '11 SERGU, I went with the HD Daymakers.  They were very bright.  Sadly, I've heard the newer Daymakers aren't as bright...but that might have changed.  Of course, they have the Harley tax on them, so you can definitely get a better price.  If you decide to go with Daymakers, they are available through the 20% off dealers.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 05:20:35 PM by Para Bellum »
If you want peace, prepare for war.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 05:27:29 PM »

My bike and most that I ride with are either on low beam or high beam, and only one bulb works at a time. There are Two separate bulbs in mine----a high and a low. Don't know what you have. Vision X sells a harness/adapter part number 9895475 that keeps low beam on when switching to high beam, unlike my stock light.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 11:23:46 PM »

go with JW speaker. They made the daymaker.

These are on revzilla's site, not sure the specifics of your bike but that is what the search filter came up with.

https://www.revzilla.com/parts/2010-harley-davidson-flhtcuse5-ultra-classic-electra-glide-cvose#page=1&sort=featured&limit=96&facets%5B%5D=4652&price=&is_new=false&is_sale=false&is_made_in_usa=false&is_holiday=false&has_video=false&price_min=0&price_max=1725

here is the jw speaker site
http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/applications/motorcycle/

Pricey yes, but what is it worth to have a lesser chance of being t-boned?

Many of the models feature what they call "dual burn" where the high and low stay on. Even the 5.75 inch model on my breakout does that. Nice to have high and low on at the same time.

Even considering upgrading mine to the new "adaptive" model.
JW speaker is top notch. Sure you can get knock offs made who knows where, but when it comes to keepin my a$$ seen and the rode illuminated, these folks get my business
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 11:35:18 PM by CHH_Badkarma »

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 09:09:53 AM »

I have a 2010 CVO ULTRA CLASSIC with the stock headlight. I hardly ever ride at night, so I have never been concerned about changing the headlight. UNTIL NOW. A truck pulled in front of one of my neighbors in plain daylight last week. He t-boned the truck at 60 mph. The guy said he never saw him, and that he only saw the brighter car lights behind him. After a "toy run" last weekend, i noticed how dim many of the bikes in that run were. A Honda Goldwing behind me was actually yellowish. The bikes with the newer LED's are 5 times as bright as those without. anyone got any suggestions? I want to change headlight as well as passing lights. I also want a light that keeps low beam on when changing to high beam.  The day Maker? Halo Maker? Vision X? or ???  From what I read on line the Vision X is the one to get. It is pricey for the headlight, passing lights and harness to keep low beams on when changing to high beam is around $700.00    If thats's what it takes---so be it. Just want to be sure I am covering all bases before purchasing. By the way, my neighbor received a broken pelvis, broken collar bone, a shattered thumb, torn knee tendons and road rash, and will be in hospital for 30 days minimum.  Thanks for your input
several thing I have observed, many do not ride with high beams on in the day or night.
I personally ride with both my high beam and passing lights on at all times unless I feel it might blind a driver.  Harley's new led are set WAY TO LOW FROM THE FACTORY!  I have seen almost every newer bike during the day you can not see the headlight beam at all if you are more than about 20 yards from them.  60 feet is not enough time to stop a crash. I still run the standard halogen head light and passing lights but I can tell you I look like a freight train coming during the day with my high beams on.  If you don't you will run a much higher chance of being hit.  I do not get people flashing their light at me except at night when I have my high beams on.  EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A FRIEND OF ABOUT THE SAME WEIGHT RIDE THIER BIKE TOWARDS THEM AND ADJUST THIER LIGHTS SO THAT THE CAN BE SEE FROM 60-100 yards during the day!!!  Harley has to set them according to DOT specs.  I am not going to let some dimwit at DOT dictate my SAFTEY.  I have changed the wiring so my passing lights stay on with or without the. High beam.

Just my rant, but I can tell you this, if they don't see you they will hit you!

V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 11:09:28 AM »

several thing I have observed, many do not ride with high beams on in the day or night.
I personally ride with both my high beam and passing lights on at all times unless I feel it might blind a driver.  Harley's new led are set WAY TO LOW FROM THE FACTORY!  I have seen almost every newer bike during the day you can not see the headlight beam at all if you are more than about 20 yards from them.  60 feet is not enough time to stop a crash. I still run the standard halogen head light and passing lights but I can tell you I look like a freight train coming during the day with my high beams on.  If you don't you will run a much higher chance of being hit.  I do not get people flashing their light at me except at night when I have my high beams on.  EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A FRIEND OF ABOUT THE SAME WEIGHT RIDE THIER BIKE TOWARDS THEM AND ADJUST THIER LIGHTS SO THAT THE CAN BE SEE FROM 60-100 yards during the day!!!  Harley has to set them according to DOT specs.  I am not going to let some dimwit at DOT dictate my SAFTEY.  I have changed the wiring so my passing lights stay on with or without the. High beam.

Just my rant, but I can tell you this, if they don't see you they will hit you!

Actually, the low from the factory thing isn't because Harley sets them to DOT specs.  Harley has never in my experience properly adjusted headlights at the factory.  The first thing anyone should do when they take delivery of a new bike is check the headlight aim and then set the aim to specs.  Basically the spec is to set the high beam to project straight ahead and level, and when that is done the low beam will automatically be slightly below level.  In other words, with the bike on a level surface and about 25 feet from a flat vertical surface, have someone of your size sit on the bike and hold it level side-to-side while you measure the height of the center of the headlight from the ground.  Mark that same dimension on the flat vertical surface and draw a horizontal line.  Turn on the high beam(s) and the hot spot should be centered on that horizontal line you drew.  It's much easier than it sounds.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 02:56:19 PM »

Where did this information come from? I see nothing on the JW web page to indicate this and they sure retail nothing that looks like the HD Daymaker? See quotes like this on here occassionaly :ie: they make harleys batteries, or they make harleys seats. I would just like to know where the information about the headlight came from so I can verify it prior to a friend purchasing one.
thanks

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 04:55:02 PM »

was told that buy the local dealer oddly enough. One of those "don't tell anyone else moments"

If you want to know for yourself, call them

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 07:34:37 PM »

Well I do appreciate your response but I am sure person at dealer was like you, he heard it from someone and then on & on & on. Will just stick with the HD Daymaker in this instance I find it a better product than the available aftermarket ones.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 08:30:02 PM »

I've spoken with a rep at JW Speaker and asked during that conversation if they were OE for the HD lights.  Without any special note or comment he said yes.  More telling that what any one person says, however, is what Mother Harley has not said.

As zealously as Harley protects its brand, copyrights and trademarks that someone else is marketing the same light with the same name and doing so without a cease and desist from Mother Harley says all I need to know.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 06:23:48 PM »

Where did this information come from? I see nothing on the JW web page to indicate this and they sure retail nothing that looks like the HD Daymaker? See quotes like this on here occassionaly :ie: they make harleys batteries, or they make harleys seats. I would just like to know where the information about the headlight came from so I can verify it prior to a friend purchasing one.
thanks

:-\
I've been there and done that.  Lets be perfectly clear.................The (Daymakeer) that you can purchase at your nearest HD Dealer is IN FACT,  manufactored by JW Speaker.  I bought one a few years ago and installed it on my '09 Ultra Classic SE.  Since then,  I bought a 2014 SG Special..............as part of the trade deal,  I had them swap out the stock headlight on the new SG with my older SE Ultra 2009.  So,  I left the dealership with a new 2014 Harley and in the headlite pod, was my own JW Speaker headlight which................let me say again.  Is the maker of that type headlight that your friendly HD Dealer has on the shelf. >:(

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 06:50:07 PM »

Let me put my 2 cents on this lite thing.  After my other half bought a new 16' 48 last year & being a long time rider who understands the importance of being seen.  (She being a new rider)  We immediately purchased the 5" daymaker, but stumbled on the custom dynamics white on / yellow blink kit for $90 to replace the yellow on all the time blinker lites.  Let me say Wow & l'm not easily impressed.  It looks like the second coming of Jesus when she comes down the street or blinding from behind.  When I purchased my 17' CVO SG which has the 7" daymaker I added those CD lights in place of my yellow on led turns. (different plug) I swear they are brighter & more intense than the daymaker, but combined we are the brightest I've seen riding around.  Also her 5" seems brighter than my 7" but then I have a tinted housing.  This set up really stands out especially during the day.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:52:49 PM by RivRaptor »
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 07:52:21 PM »

You get a better warranty if you buy from JW  speaker. They make the day maker for hd. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 07:21:14 PM »

I installed the Phase 7 lights from Kuryakyn. Got all 3 lights. Best $650 I ever spent, compared to $950 from H/D.
OK I give....I have seen this on other topics. What the hell does CANBUS mean?????

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 08:01:55 PM »

What the hell does CANBUS mean?????

Controlled or Controller Area Network BUS.  It's a multiplex message based protocol.  A way to make one wire do more than one thing with the duty of the moment being dependent on what signal is sent over that wire.  It's a cool (but potentially complicated) way to use less wire in a harness than when each wire only does one task.  It's a data networking system for your vehicle.  It's a way to put 5 gallons of instructions in 3 gallons of wire.  It's a way to fit more inside your handlebars than would otherwise fit.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 22 queries.