Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: LED Headlight  (Read 4551 times)

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
Re: LED Headlight
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 08:49:28 PM »

Copy that... Thanks Twolanerider....

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 10:20:36 AM »

I had been running the stock '09 SERG dual headlights with a low beam modulator I installed.  When following Harry in ES he had a hard time seeing me even with the modulator.

I went to eBay and purchased a headlight LED package for SERG.  I paid $169.95 for it and it came with a new black bezel with all of the mounting hardware.  It also included a brace to add to the fairing to help hold the added weight.  I'm VERY happy with it and it's SO bright.  I bought the highest wattage I could find.  There were several with the same high beam wattage, but the low beam of others was considerably lower.

They have "Daymaker" clones that also include auxiliary lights where needed.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=mf-distribution&item=232307008609&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xharley+headlight.TRS0&_nkw=harley+headlight&_sacat=0

They were great to deal with and have a huge selection.

At under $100 for a 7" LED, that's not a bad deal.

Just thought I'd throw out other options.  I believe that Twolanerider installed a set in his RG as well.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 02:45:07 PM »

I believe that Twolanerider installed a set in his RG as well.

...and it's been a great light in my old Road Glide as well Dan.  Nearly plug and play install (only alteration being the stiffener bracket) and it throws great light down the road.  It's the second base safety feature on the bike (after a cautious rider).

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 12:45:55 AM »

Not sure on make, but a friend who is a heavy duty mechanic told, me, they use the same lights on the semi tractors without the HD logo, for much cheaper price.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 11:07:03 AM »

Lot of heavy price tags for lights out there.

I went with Cree led light bulb for Harley Davidson low cost and great lighting, plug and play working great.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 11:14:30 AM by longlast »

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 12:04:07 PM »

My mechanic told me about these recently. I think they turn like the new vehicles, adaptive technology.

https://www.carid.com/jw-speaker/motorcycle-powersports-headlights/

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 12:35:33 PM »

My mechanic told me about these recently. I think they turn like the new vehicles, adaptive technology.

https://www.carid.com/jw-speaker/motorcycle-powersports-headlights/

Yup, JW speaker has been referenced several times. Seems some folks choke at the price though.
I dont know, after paying 30-40k for a bike, I'm ok with it. Getting the knock off brands to me is like spending 3-4k for a rifle and putting a 300 dollar scope on it....
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:54:11 PM by CHH_Badkarma »

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2017, 11:19:37 PM »

After a lot of research, I went with the Vsion X.  Testing by several different sources showed it to be brighter and throw a better pattern than the Day lighter. Vision X also gives a lifetime warranty. This som bitch is one bad ass, bright light. It also has an LED halo around the lense, and I bought their harness that keeps low beam on when switching to high beam. About $430 but my safety is worth the money spent. I will be upgrading the passing lights with their matching upgrade set,  And also their front and rear LED turn signal kit. I am extremely happy with headlight.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:22:31 PM by 2harleys »

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 11:59:01 PM »

Right on. Glad you kept us updated. More light down range is always a good thing. 👍

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2017, 08:51:28 AM »

"Oh crap, here comes that grouchy old fart to rain on the parade again."  There, I said it for you so no one else needs to do so.

I just ask that people who choose to jack up the light output of their vehicles to the equivalent of military grade landing lights or more take the time to properly aim those lights (including those lower fork or caliper mounted things).  When the people approaching you from the front are turning away and shielding their eyes with their hand, that is not a good thing for them or for you.  Blinding the guy driving toward you is a good way to find out how crashworthy you and your bike are when confronting a car or truck head on.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2017, 11:15:01 AM »

I don’t think putting a proper light on a Harley so you can see and be seen should be concidered as a bad thing as you insinuate.  The headlight I just installed is now equivalent to what mother Harley is now installing on their new bikes.  And yes “dad”, I took the time to properly adjust that new light so as not to blind you when we pass. Hell, I even took time to properly adjust my stock light so people wouldn’t have a “yellowish” colored light in their eyes.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2017, 02:15:13 PM »

I don’t think putting a proper light on a Harley so you can see and be seen should be concidered as a bad thing as you insinuate.  The headlight I just installed is now equivalent to what mother Harley is now installing on their new bikes.  And yes “dad”, I took the time to properly adjust that new light so as not to blind you when we pass. Hell, I even took time to properly adjust my stock light so people wouldn’t have a “yellowish” colored light in their eyes.

Good for you "son", I'm happy to see at least one person takes the time to adjust their lights properly.  Well done.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2017, 06:14:44 PM »

I don’t think putting a proper light on a Harley so you can see and be seen should be concidered as a bad thing as you insinuate.
I don't think he was saying it's a bad thing, just that it's easy for newly-installed lights to be in the wrong position, and it was a good reminder that we get the dirty end of the stick when a cage plows into us.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2017, 08:36:17 PM »

First thing I do when I get a new bike is adjust the head light.  My last five harleys have come with the lights adjusted way low.  I mark the wall at the correct hight and back the bike up the correct distance.  I get help because to do it right you have to be seated on the bike.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2017, 08:37:28 PM »

Just so the “old fart” can sleep better tonight, I just got back from a night “test ride” with the new Vision X headlight installed. Also replaced running lights with LED bulbs. I followed my wife in her car, running thru all lighting modes. We then did a head on passing on a dark road several times. . Also followed her at different distances. Wife says lights are bright but not.blinding— until putting high beam on. I think we are good to go. My neighbor and best riding buddy just ordered one for his Ultra Limited. So that will be two of us with properly adjusted military grade landing lights.  LOL
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.