Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Heated grips Q.  (Read 3034 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Heated grips Q.
« on: December 17, 2017, 01:04:34 PM »

My grips have just stopped working on my 07 Ultra

Would anyone know if there is a fix or something that I should check as to why they stopped working?
Once they stop working do they need replacing?

Mine has the setting nob 1 to 6 on the end of left grip.

I've been running them on setting 4 and they've been working fine as of two days ago.
Appreciate any input.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Heated grips Q.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 02:35:01 PM »

Longlast - If they are like the pairs I have had pre-09 they didn't seem to last very long.   Post 09 we have put them on both the SESG 11 and SERG 13 and the newer ones have lasted a long time.   On the 04's we put them on and seem to only get a 1 year out of them.   Some have gone to a standard grip set with heat demons or the like below them.   I would try the ones from the 2011 Ultra what I put on the SESG and they actually get TOOO hot and have lasted.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 02:36:25 PM »

It might be as simple as a blown fuse but you've probably checked that already.  If you have the service manual supplement for your bike it most likely has some troubleshooting steps for the heated grips. 

I know a while back lots of folks were reporting failure of the heated grips but whatever the root cause of that was may have been remedied as the later model H-Ds don't seem to have as much problem.

If you can't get them working you could do what I did on my '07 when it was a year or so old - install Heat Demons:  https://heatdemon.com/collections/motorcycle-grip-heaters/products/motorcycle-grip-heater-kit-for-harley-with-four-level-controller?variant=4522691779

They worked great on my bike.  I choose them during the handlebar swap when for whatever reason the tech could not get the left grip off without damaging it and causing the heat to not work.  The Heat Demons were cheaper and they worked great for me.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 04:49:34 PM »

Longlast - If they are like the pairs I have had pre-09 they didn't seem to last very long.   Post 09 we have put them on both the SESG 11 and SERG 13 and the newer ones have lasted a long time.   On the 04's we put them on and seem to only get a 1 year out of them.   Some have gone to a standard grip set with heat demons or the like below them.   I would try the ones from the 2011 Ultra what I put on the SESG and they actually get TOOO hot and have lasted.

Cheers matey, I'll look into that suggestion. I guess I can't complain they've been working for 10yrs now I guess they've had a good run more than most.

It might be as simple as a blown fuse but you've probably checked that already.  If you have the service manual supplement for your bike it most likely has some troubleshooting steps for the heated grips. 

I know a while back lots of folks were reporting failure of the heated grips but whatever the root cause of that was may have been remedied as the later model H-Ds don't seem to have as much problem.

If you can't get them working you could do what I did on my '07 when it was a year or so old - install Heat Demons:  https://heatdemon.com/collections/motorcycle-grip-heaters/products/motorcycle-grip-heater-kit-for-harley-with-four-level-controller?variant=4522691779

They worked great on my bike.  I choose them during the handlebar swap when for whatever reason the tech could not get the left grip off without damaging it and causing the heat to not work.  The Heat Demons were cheaper and they worked great for me.

Thanks for that,. And the Heat Demons link. I downloaded the info. If I can't get them working I may go that route.
No, I haven't dug into any checking as yet and yes I do have a supplement 1200 page manual but I haven't had the time at the moment to dig into it on the blind.
I'll check for the fuse tomorrow and go from there. If it's good I'll dive into the manual
Cheers, I'll post how I make out.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 05:09:15 PM »

Cheers matey, I'll look into that suggestion. I guess I can't complain they've been working for 10yrs now I guess they've had a good run more than most.

Thanks for that,. And the Heat Demons link. I downloaded the info. If I can't get them working I may go that route.
No, I haven't dug into any checking as yet and yes I do have a supplement 1200 page manual but I haven't had the time at the moment to dig into it on the blind.
I'll check for the fuse tomorrow and go from there. If it's good I'll dive into the manual
Cheers, I'll post how I make out.
Good luck.  I'm researching heated grips now for my 2018 Tri-Glide and most likely will go with the Heat Demons for the reasons mentioned.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 11:56:28 AM »

Today I checked the fuses located on the lift side. They were all good, I saw one marked accessories I'm assuming that the heat grips would be on that system, or not?
Would there be a fuse tucked away some were for the grips?

Would anyone know what it is that fails with the grips?
Is there a repair that can be carried out?

I'm asking because I'll always have a go to repair something before dismissing it and going straight for replacing things if there's a chance it can be repaired.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 01:48:55 PM »

Longlast I had 2 sets of heated grips fail on my 2007 SEUltra.  My understanding at the time was the switch failed and was not repairable. Possibly was due to water in the housing, never confirmed that.   Not sure on your fuse question, think there is a fuse for the grips.   

On replacement would use either the newer heated grips from HD or Heat Demons.  Failure rates on the newer HD grips have been a lot lower. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 03:57:32 PM »

Ditto on the Heat Demons.  My wife's work amazingly well for the past 5 years - a lot hotter than my stock H-D set on my bike.

I have had my H-D grips replaced under warranty 3 times and my final warranty just ran out last week.  If they go again I will be putting Heat Demons on and most likely never have to worry again about them failing me.

Plus with Heat Demons you can use any grips you wish.

Good luck with it.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 04:23:57 PM »

I've never installed any of the HD branded grips.  Their reputation is (or at least used to be) so poor I was unwilling to even try them.  Have installed maybe a dozen sets of the Heat Demons.  No issues with them at all.  Just another's observation.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 05:21:06 PM »

Well I'm not one on shying away from suggestions of experience. I know I'm pushing the envelope on think to save them but I just can't help myself  :-\
They've had a 10yr run I'll have a stab at the switch, if no joy I'll go for the Heat Demons.
I've been doing some research on them and they do appear to be the best way to go and they have a 5 yr failure warranty.
Thanks for the input :2vrolijk_21:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 09:16:37 PM »

I forgot to ask,...do I have to change the existing grips I have to install Heat Demons?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 09:36:30 PM »

I forgot to ask,...do I have to change the existing grips I have to install Heat Demons?

The Heat Demons are a thin element that slides inside the existing bars rather than the existing grips.  This allows you to use any grips you want with them.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 02:47:12 AM »

The Heat Demons are a thin element that slides inside the existing bars rather than the existing grips.  This allows you to use any grips you want with them.

Thank you Sir  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 08:54:55 AM »

Also pop the end cap off the RH grip you may have a loose connection I did. If the connection came loose the grips will not function at all either sides. Good luck
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 10:51:10 AM »

Also pop the end cap off the RH grip you may have a loose connection I did. If the connection came loose the grips will not function at all either sides. Good luck

I will check into that  :2vrolijk_21:  Thanks.

I pulled the LH grip today but couldn't get it fully off to do a Volt check the wires got tight in the bars I didn't want to pull to hard I don't know how much slack there is at the other end. I'll try the LH there may be more slack on the wires to check for any power.  If not it looks like it'll have to wait until I can get the time to pull the bat wing off and do some checking in the front.

Off to London day after tomorrow for 3 days.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.