Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Super tuner question  (Read 1839 times)

abuck

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

Super tuner question
« on: December 28, 2017, 10:46:57 AM »

In my 14 SGS build, I had to get the super tuner that was then pulled from the shelves and replaced.

Is there a way to “unmarry” the tuner from the ‘14 SGS and use it on an ‘18 cvo? I’m guessing they could, but would it be compatible with an ‘18?

Dealer has the sgs on hand with them, I still have the tuner.  From what I heard, the old style can do a lot more than the current SE tuners can. But if it can’t be used on a ‘18, I’m going to give it to them.

Only asking about the HD ones and not other brands.

Thanks guys

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Super tuner question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »

No, Once they are attached to a bike they cannot be reused on a different bike.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 04:56:14 PM »

I'm not aware of any program from H-D to sell additional licenses so you can use the SEPST on more than one bike, like TTS and PV offer.  The only way you could do what you want would be to find someone to illegally hack the VCI so it thinks it's never been used before.  I don't recommend that approach, and only mention it because I'm sure some other folks will tell you all about it.  We've had the discussion in other threads in the past, the gist of which was basically that some folks think it's OK to steal and some do not.  I'm with the "do not" group.

You'd be further ahead just buying one of the other brands.  If you have a real professional tuner lined up, as opposed to some guy in a Harley dealership, as him what device and system he recommends.  TTS has the most capable system out there as best I can tell.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 08:31:32 PM »

Another accurate post by Jerry!

98fxstc

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 FXDFSE
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 01:11:59 AM »

I'm not aware of any program from H-D to sell additional licenses so you can use the SEPST on more than one bike, like TTS and PV offer.  The only way you could do what you want would be to find someone to illegally hack the VCI so it thinks it's never been used before.  I don't recommend that approach, and only mention it because I'm sure some other folks will tell you all about it.  We've had the discussion in other threads in the past, the gist of which was basically that some folks think it's OK to steal and some do not.  I'm with the "do not" group.

You'd be further ahead just buying one of the other brands.  If you have a real professional tuner lined up, as opposed to some guy in a Harley dealership, as him what device and system he recommends.  TTS has the most capable system out there as best I can tell.

JMHO - Jerry

What a load of crap !
All sorts of modifications 'acceptable' from original to improve MoCo design and circumvent EPA requirements but not this ?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 08:47:31 AM »

What a load of crap !
All sorts of modifications 'acceptable' from original to improve MoCo design and circumvent EPA requirements but not this ?

Once again, you either don't understand the issue or you just choose to be argumentative.  The problem isn't modifying his bike, he can modify whatever he wants as long as he takes responsibility for repairs when Harley voids his warranty.  The illegal part (stealing if you like) involves hacking the VCI to be able to use it on additional bikes.  The SEPST was sold with one license for use on one ECM only.  He has already used it on one ECM.  It's no different than buying one DVD of a movie and then illegally selling copies to all your buddies and other folks out of the trunk of your car in the mall parking lot.  Piracy is illegal, no matter how much some people try to justify it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 09:06:38 AM »

Once again, you either don't understand the issue or you just choose to be argumentative.  The problem isn't modifying his bike, he can modify whatever he wants as long as he takes responsibility for repairs when Harley voids his warranty.  The illegal part (stealing if you like) involves hacking the VCI to be able to use it on additional bikes.  The SEPST was sold with one license for use on one ECM only.  He has already used it on one ECM.  It's no different than buying one DVD of a movie and then illegally selling copies to all your buddies and other folks out of the trunk of your car in the mall parking lot.  Piracy is illegal, no matter how much some people try to justify it.

Jerry

Harrumph....

98fxstc

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 FXDFSE
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 06:01:22 PM »

Jerry
SHOW ME

The MoCo believe the tuner can only be used on one bike
(actually it is one ecm as you say)
it is a disclaimer , not a legal threat
The owner has paid for it once
You are saying it is stealing to 'tweak' it and continue to use it

Drop your pants and grab your ankles for the MoCo, you are easy meat for them.

98fxstc

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 FXDFSE
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 06:50:18 PM »

as an addendum, and in respect of the OP
The vci should be given to the Dealer with the bike.
I don't agree with withholding the vci of a 'married' bike and disadvantaging the new owner.
this is a nightmare with TTS

but different kettle of fish if the ecm in your bike dies
and you have the capability to modify the vci (already paid for) to work with the replacement ecm
Go for it

Not at all comparable to selling pirate dvd's out of the car boot

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 08:47:13 AM »

Straight answer to your question

Q: can they be "re programmed" to work on another bike ?
A: YES ! check eBay for the mob who do it , they operate out of Poland I do believe

You send them your current tuner and they "fix" it to work on your new bike.
It does work as stated , and I have seen it in Australia MANY times

Moral side to the story ? Well the MOCO have been told to "cease and desist" with the Supertuner pro in the US for months now anyways so "so what" ??
No illegitimi carborundum

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 01:45:57 PM »

The vci should be given to the Dealer with the bike.

I agree, and I wouldn't just give it up.  The salesmen is going to bring up the tuner as a selling point.  I would push for a discount on a new tuner.  Most HD dealers are also set up with Kury or biker choice or drag or something that they can sell you an aftermarket tuner.  Just don't have them install it.  Or at least get a gift card or something.

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.