Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Common Oil Viscosity Data  (Read 5789 times)

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: Common Oil Viscosity Data
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 12:32:13 PM »

I wouldn't use that gear oil in the transfer. GL5 rated gear lines should not be used where yellow metal may be present. The extreme pressure additives in GL5 eat the brass parts. Stick with a GL4 manual transmission oil or a motor oil.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

there are also additives in the oil that prevent them from eating yellow metal.  and since our trans are not 'extreme pressure', it will take for longer than the recommended 20k interval change to break down those additives.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

J.D.

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 01:06:19 PM »

Royal Purple Max-Gear is GL5 rated but "yellow metal safe" is explicitly stated.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 01:14:34 PM »

Didn't think the transmissions had yellow metal in them :nixweiss: such as syncro gears

It does state that it's safe where there is yellow metal,..

This is a GL-4 and GL-5 Specification synthetic gear oil meaning it is safe for use where yellow metals are present. It contains a buffered sulphur EP additive which helps protect yellow metals found in some gear boxes.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:25:13 PM by longlast »

lpennock

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 01:24:29 PM »

The problem with GL5 rated oils is the Extreme Pressure additives.  They bond with the metal to form a sacrificial layer. That wears off rather than the metal wearing. With yellow metal the additive forms a layer harder than the base metal so it takes the base metal with it. Manual transmissions require straight GL4. Motor oil actually meets GL4 specs which is why HD recommended motor oil until they decided to market a transmission oil. I wouldn't risk using a GL4/5 or GL5 oil when there are plenty GL4 manual transmission oils available.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 01:32:40 PM »

The problem with GL5 rated oils is the Extreme Pressure additives.  They bond with the metal to form a sacrificial layer. That wears off rather than the metal wearing. With yellow metal the additive forms a layer harder than the base metal so it takes the base metal with it. Manual transmissions require straight GL4. Motor oil actually meets GL4 specs which is why HD recommended motor oil until they decided to market a transmission oil. I wouldn't risk using a GL4/5 or GL5 oil when there are plenty GL4 manual transmission oils available.

Point noted  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:35:53 PM by longlast »

J.D.

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 01:44:00 PM »

I haven't had any issues in the 5-speed gear boxes with GL5 gear oils and haven't identified any wetted brass components.  No experience with the newer 6-speeds.

J.D.

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 03:59:25 PM »

I don't know but why risk it?

I'd suggest researching and confirming the materials of construction before disqualifying a whole group of excellent and readily available lubricants as a viable option.  Many guys are using GL5 gear oils in these transmissions.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 04:42:25 PM »

Here's a pdf for the files,......6 speed transmission,.. don't believe there's any yellow metal

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12uHfkRV3H5LXkvHMoO-jZYejFff7BHlh/view?usp=drivesdk
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 04:46:56 PM by longlast »

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 04:47:54 PM »

I like redline in Trans, B&M trick shift in primary and Redline or moble 1 in engine.  A plus to this is color.  B&M blue, Trans fluid pink, and engine oil brown.

I don't know if this is the best oil set up in the world, but I haven't had any oil related problems.

J.D.

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 06:21:18 PM »

I've read that others are running the B&M in the primary.  How's the clutch feel on this stuff?

It's hard to find any reliable viscosity data on it but seems at least some claim it's simply Type F dyed blue.

Edit: close to Type F with maybe more friction modifiers:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/bmm-trick_shift.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiFo4CS6t3YAhVN6VMKHbgWBs4QFjACegQIEBAB&usg=AOvVaw2sV68cazKATL7vWNR-Xp2g
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:23:13 PM by 2002FXDWG3 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 06:45:36 PM »

I've read that others are running the B&M in the primary.  How's the clutch feel on this stuff?

It's hard to find any reliable viscosity data on it but seems at least some claim it's simply Type F dyed blue.

Based solely on a recommendation from an engineer at Barnett when installing one of their Scorpion clutches I use the old B&M Trick Shift.  No issues with it positively or negatively.  Just works.  Plus I like having different colored fluids in each hole.  Makes it easier to find a leak  :drink: .

J.D.

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 06:48:05 PM »

The dyes are nice, I agree.  Mfg recommendation is good stuff, take advantage of their R&D.  Any difference between the Barnett friction materials and OE?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 08:40:34 AM »

Modern motor oils and gear lubes are pretty good and pretty consistent across brands, so all the "what's the best oil for my car/bike/etc" threads aren't doing much but providing entertainment for those who like to read them.  Here's a much better question to ask about motor oils and gear lubes; who has had a confirmed mechanical failure caused by the lubricant and what was the product involved?  It would be a very short thread btw.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

J.D.

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 09:12:08 AM »

That's true to a certain extent.  I always say even the cheapest clean oil is better than the best oil if not changed frequently enough.  And I have seen a fair amount of issues, mainly in the automotive world (but also on Harleys), directly correlated to lack of fluid maintenance.

But then again isn't the point of a forum to discuss these types of things and post your opinions and experiences?  I've already learned a few new details here and came away with some new ideas.

Not all oil threads need to be lowbrow brawls LOL.  If not for forums, there is alot of good information that wouldn't be "common knowledge".

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 09:57:47 AM »

Based solely on a recommendation from an engineer at Barnett when installing one of their Scorpion clutches I use the old B&M Trick Shift.  No issues with it positively or negatively.  Just works.  Plus I like having different colored fluids in each hole.  Makes it easier to find a leak  :drink: .

B&M was recommended to me by Energy One Cutches.  They are the manufacture of many clutch's in this industry.  I haven't had any problems.  I use it in stock clutch's, Barnett, Bandit, Primo, BDL...... 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.