Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Primo Belt Drive  (Read 1240 times)

HotRodFXR3

• NV

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3
    • CVO2: 2005 Fatboy Screamin Eagle
    • CVO3: 2018 Ultra Limited
Primo Belt Drive
« on: February 13, 2018, 08:29:53 PM »

Hey everyone!

So, I have a FXR3 that’s been completely customized. I have a S&S 113, and Baker 6 speed trans. There is also a primo belt drive and it’s also been converted to a chain final drive. I’m having issues with the primo belt drive. I’ve popped about 3 belts. The primo is in the original primary housing, and I’ve ground the areas inside the housing that I thought the belt might be rubbing and causing issues. Does anyone have experience with these primo drives? Are they known for being problems? Any help is greatly appreciated!! Ride safe!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Primo Belt Drive
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 08:49:42 PM »

Had one years ago and did not have any problems. Have you checked the sprocket alignment?

lpennock

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 09:07:50 PM »

Had a 14mm years ago behind a 86" shovel. I would peal the teeth about once a year hammering second. Can't imagine it holding up to your motor.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

HotRodFXR3

• NV

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 03:42:30 PM »

I should check the alignment, that's a good idea.  I'm thinking about maybe changing it.  Any suggestions?  The motor is a S&S 113 with 600 cam.  I have a thunderheader on it too.  Should I go back to stock?  Thanks for all the help.

Sprintkid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 07:08:35 PM »

Make sure you don't have any fluid leak onto the belt. It compromises them really quick. Examine old belt closely for any indication of how it started to come apart. They are generally fairly bulletproof unless compromised. Rocks, misalignment. Did they fail during a shift. Most tear from the side if basket rollers are loose and rear pulley cocks when clutch is pulled and then when released it straightens back out and tears. Just thoughts to check.

HotRodFXR3

• NV

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 03:54:53 PM »

Thanks Sprint.  I'm gonna try and check all these things next week when I get some time.  I need to trust this bike.  I've been looking at going back to a chain primary.  I have a chain final drive, so I hope that doesn't conflict.  Thoughts on a better chain drive?

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.