Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Indian Hires BMW Designer  (Read 2790 times)

mark

Indian Hires BMW Designer
« on: March 09, 2018, 09:20:27 AM »

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
Re: Indian Hires BMW Designer
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 11:11:41 AM »

:o always wanted to know who was behind designing some of those (not all) ugly bikes. BMW could do a lot better and maybe it starts with him leaving. Never could understand why they made baggers with no floor boards, small tour packs, and very difficult to work on.
Could be positive if Indian baggers get a fixed fairing, wet motor, and a driveshaft...Honda would have some competition.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 11:23:53 AM »

:o always wanted to know who was behind designing some of those (not all) ugly bikes. BMW could do a lot better and maybe it starts with him leaving. Never could understand why they made baggers with no floor boards, small tour packs, and very difficult to work on.
Could be positive if Indian baggers get a fixed fairing, wet motor, and a driveshaft...Honda would have some competition.

The BMWs don't have floorboards because they aren't set up like riding lounge chairs.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 11:54:06 AM »

The BMWs don't have floorboards because they aren't set up like riding lounge chairs.

:huepfenlol2:     You beat me to it.

BMW's are a German product that places function over form.  Harley-Davidson is an American product that always places form over function.  Beemer riders are placed in the correct riding position for best control and handling, Harley riders are placed in the most comfy kicked-back position, even though it can be much less safe (feet stretched out up front and away from controls for instance) and less conducive to handling.  Barcalounger on two wheels comes to mind.

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 12:07:35 PM »

Maybe that's a direction that Indian is planning on a future model.  It would be a refreshing path considering all Harley does is put different bars/seats/fenders and call it "new"....

Barcalounger on two wheels comes to mind.

Jerry ;)

Saw this guy for years at Sturgis.  I have a few personal pictures of him but this isn't one of them....he has the correct ideee...

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 12:08:35 PM »

:huepfenlol2:     You beat me to it.

BMW's are a German product that places function over form.  Harley-Davidson is an American product that always places form over function.  Beemer riders are placed in the correct riding position for best control and handling, Harley riders are placed in the most comfy kicked-back position, even though it can be much less safe (feet stretched out up front and away from controls for instance) and less conducive to handling.  Barcalounger on two wheels comes to mind.

Jerry ;)
Come on Jerry, but you are right. Made me laugh!

BigLew

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 12:36:28 PM »

BMW’s 1600 B has floorboard “highway pegs”. Their style linked brake system does not necessitate the use of the rear brake so somewhat the best of both worlds for sportier or touring modes. The bags and styling are not my personal taste though.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 12:42:13 PM »

Is that yours Roger? ;D

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 12:51:17 PM »

FL's are for two up long range touring and should be riding lounge chairs. Sport touring to me is a compromise and not on my radar for a new bike, but that's just Terry and I...getting old. The new Wing defines most of it for me...fixed fairing, wet motor, floor boards, large TP, and comfort. My 00 SERG is as close to that as I'm willing to get from Harley and don't expect them to catch up in my lifetime.
Two up touring on any BMW wouldn't cut it for me, and I'm sure our wives would not be happy campers either.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 07:59:04 AM by grandpadoc »

ultrarider123

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 01:08:02 PM »

BMW’s 1600 B has floorboard “highway pegs”. Their style linked brake system does not necessitate the use of the rear brake so somewhat the best of both worlds for sportier or touring modes. The bags and styling are not my personal taste though.

It's not a bad looker but I agree on comment above.  However, that 160hp inline 6 goes a long way to alleviate some of the questionable styling cues.... ;D

mark

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 01:17:12 PM »

The BMW K1600B looks interesting and I’d consider buying one.  Lots of interesting features, many of which I’d like to see HD and IM go to.  Haven’t ridden one, but sat on one and the seating position with the floorboards was comfy.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 10:16:11 PM »

The BMW K1600B looks interesting and I’d consider buying one.  Lots of interesting features, many of which I’d like to see HD and IM go to.  Haven’t ridden one, but sat on one and the seating position with the floorboards was comfy.
A buddy has a new one. That Euro EPA standard has put a dampner on his fun. He says has pretty bad throttle lag and that isn't fun in the curvy hills in his neck of the woods.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 06:35:45 PM »

A buddy has a new one. That Euro EPA standard has put a dampner on his fun. He says has pretty bad throttle lag and that isn't fun in the curvy hills in his neck of the woods.
While some have complained about This, I sure haven't noticed any lag. Could be what your accustomed to? I went from a 14 Harley Limited to a BMW 18 K1600B or Bagger. Amazing difference. In addition to the power I like the features; Reverse, electronic adjustable suspension, different riding modes, real time tire pressure readout, power locks and ignition, clutchless shifting option, Bluetooth, linked ABS, traction control, heated seat and grips, power windshield, on and on. For under 25K. ..did I mention 160hp and 129lb of torque? Stock. Dry sump. 741lbs.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 10:52:48 PM »

FL's are for two up long range touring and should be riding lounge chairs. Sport touring to me is a compromise and not on my radar for a new bike, but that's just Terry and I...getting old. The new Wing defines most of it for me...fixed fairing, wet motor, floor boards, large TP, and comfort. My 00 SERG is as close to that as I'm willing to get from Harley and don't expect them to catch up in my lifetime.
Two up touring on any BMW wouldn't cut it for me, and I'm sure our wives would not be happy campers either.

So you know I am on both the K1600GT and the Road Glide Special. My setup on the BMW lets me run 1000mi in a day with ease. It's far, far more comfortable than my Road Glide. My spine is aligned with my feet and the riding position is unbelievable comfortable. Did I modify a few things to get there? Yes. I put a Russell Day-Long seat on the BMW and I put a lowering kit on the rider pegs so that my knees were in a more relaxed position. I have to think that my fellow HD riders make those kind of modifications and more to their bikes.

Are far as the throttle and the twisties. I have not experienced any issues in the twisties. It likely because the handling with the ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) make the curves a dream. I set the bike up as two-up suspension because of my size and it's smooth riding with great reflexes. I know alot of HD riders can work wonders on their Harley in the curves but it just me wonder what they'd be able to accomplish on the BMW.

Ride on. Both BMW and HD have their place in this world.

DH

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 12:33:40 AM »

Is that yours Roger? ;D
Ha, no Terry, I need to thin the herd as it is.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 11:40:54 AM »

While some have complained about This, I sure haven't noticed any lag. Could be what your accustomed to? I went from a 14 Harley Limited to a BMW 18 K1600B or Bagger. Amazing difference. In addition to the power I like the features; Reverse, electronic adjustable suspension, different riding modes, real time tire pressure readout, power locks and ignition, clutchless shifting option, Bluetooth, linked ABS, traction control, heated seat and grips, power windshield, on and on. For under 25K. ..did I mention 160hp and 129lb of torque? Stock. Dry sump. 741lbs.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

He's not complained about all the other stuff you mentioned, just the lag. Other than that, he loves the bike. He's had a few other BMW bikes and rode one to Alaska and back a few years ago. He's just not happy with the lag on his new 1600B. I hope I explained that a little better for you this time.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.