Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: U-Haul trailer and SERGU  (Read 8321 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: U-Haul trailer and SERGU
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 11:48:04 AM »

Well hell, not sure about the rest of you, but here in good old FL, U-Haul only rents MC trailers for "in town use" which means they don't rent for one-way trips. So, I'm left with renting a utility trailer from them and have to deal with securing the bike without the front tire chock. Thought about going to Harbor freight and buying a chock but they're almost more trouble than they're worth as they are flimsy. May just have to put tire tight against front wall of utility trailer and strap her in. Local U-Haul manager did say they redesign the utility trailers with the rings in six spots for just this application. Guess we will see!

The cheaper grey MC wheel chock from Harbor Freight is lousy, a piece of crap that bends, etc.  Have had good success with this one on several trailer trips of 1,000 miles or more, plus has been used to store the bike in the garage in the past several years.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-lb-capacity-motorcycle-standwheel-chock-61670.html
I used a couple of pieces of 1/2" plywood, one under the wheel & one on front of the rotating mechanism to make the wheel fit better.  It's sturdy & has given me good service.

Good luck, would use 6 straps to tie down with all forward pull and soft ties for each contact point on the bike. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Glenncarp

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 12:00:37 PM »

The cheaper grey MC wheel chock from Harbor Freight is lousy, a piece of crap that bends, etc.  Have had good success with this one on several trailer trips of 1,000 miles or more, plus has been used to store the bike in the garage in the past several years.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-lb-capacity-motorcycle-standwheel-chock-61670.html
I used a couple of pieces of 1/2" plywood, one under the wheel & one on front of the rotating mechanism to make the wheel fit better.  It's sturdy & has given me good service.

Good luck, would use 6 straps to tie down with all forward pull and soft ties for each contact point on the bike.

Yeah, I had bought the gray one from Harbor Freight a  few years ago and mounted to the motorcycle lift I purchased also from Harbor Freight. After about a year, open garage door and 2004 Road King was leaning over about to fall off stand. Grey chock was bent and twisted. Not garage proof, certainly not trailer proof. Going to see if local HF has one in link you sent. Thanks

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 12:08:11 PM »

Yeah, I had bought the gray one from Harbor Freight a  few years ago and mounted to the motorcycle lift I purchased also from Harbor Freight. After about a year, open garage door and 2004 Road King was leaning over about to fall off stand. Grey chock was bent and twisted. Not garage proof, certainly not trailer proof. Going to see if local HF has one in link you sent. Thanks

Welcome.  A couple of buddies were using the grey Harbor Freight chock, no problems.  After about a month mine bent.  Took it back to Harbor Freight, got money back, manager suggested the chock in the link.  Much better construction, left the bike in it in the garage unsupported, not strapped, for extended time periods when I was traveling too much for work to ride.  You may not need to add the plywood, mine worked ok without it but was smoother on/off with it.  Can use the 2 eyelets on the front as  tie down points, but always had it secured also by straps to the front of the trailer.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 12:20:38 PM »

I agree with JZ that U-Haul is absolutely the best motorcycle trailer for hauling 1 bike bar none!!

I wanted to find out where the old ones went so I could buy one.

Just so you are aware, U-Haul does not sell their trailers.  If you see a U-Haul trailer for sale, it was likely stolen or misappropriated at some point.  They build their own (or have them built under contract).  The only parts that wear out are the axles and those are easy to rebuild.  If/when it does reach the end of its time, they cut them up and scrap them.  I hauled my 2012 over 1,000mi from New England through Canada to the UP of Michigan on an extended trip one year.  The trailer was a beast, and that front notch/chock for the tire is a great thing!   
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

Glenncarp

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 12:32:15 PM »

Just so you are aware, U-Haul does not sell their trailers.  If you see a U-Haul trailer for sale, it was likely stolen or misappropriated at some point.  They build their own (or have them built under contract).  The only parts that wear out are the axles and those are easy to rebuild.  If/when it does reach the end of its time, they cut them up and scrap them.  I hauled my 2012 over 1,000mi from New England through Canada to the UP of Michigan on an extended trip one year.  The trailer was a beast, and that front notch/chock for the tire is a great thing!   

I wonder when U-Haul stopped renting the MC trailer for one-way trips? I spoke to corporate and they confirmed that their motorcycle trailers are only available for in town use, IE: round trip. I was originally guessing this was specific to the area I lived in but after talking to corporate U-Haul it appears that they no longer rent them for one-way trips. Disappointing because I thought that was the beauty of using U-Haul

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 02:18:04 PM »

The trailer was a beast, and that front notch/chock for the tire is a great thing!   
I'm thinking of getting a "notch" put on my 8' utility trailer so I can keep the gate/ramp installed with the bike in the trailer. I need about 5" to accommodate the chock and the pipes.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.