Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Shock disappointment/suggestions/Happy Again!!  (Read 5062 times)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Shock disappointment/suggestions/Happy Again!!
« on: March 22, 2018, 07:55:35 PM »

Installed a set of JRI 13" B shock on the bike in early 2014 and maybe I got my life out of them but didn't get what I expected. Maybe my expectations were to high or maybe not. With about 45,000 miles on them I noticed the polish rod seals on both shocks were beginning to leak and wife was starting to tell me how rough the ride had started to get. With riding season getting ready to start I figured great time to pull them off and send them back to JRI for a rebuild. Sent an email to JRI to find the correct process and get a price quote for rebuild only to find that they could no longer provide seals for these shocks, but it I would send them back they would send me their newest model for $500. I am thinking in my head that I dropped $800 plus on these when they were your lastest and greatest and you already can't service them? Not sure I want to make another $500 + shipping investment on top of the $800  I already spent for a shock that J&P sales for $565. Now all that said I will say these shocks worked very well over their life, handled and road very well.

I am now looking for a shock that handles well for me and rides well for the wife. Ohlins sounds the way to go for a long term product. For looking at their offerings I would say the 159's are what I am looking for, but I see folks here referencing a 3-2 and 3-3. The only place I can find those numbers are from Howard. Can any of you tell me what the difference is between the 3- series and the 159? Any personal experiences with the 159's good or bad?
Thanks
David
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:55:02 PM by Yellow09SERG »
Most great stores start with a bad decision

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: Shock disappointment/suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 08:41:14 PM »

I replaced my progressive 12 inch 440's that I've had since 2012, last year with the 13 inch 159's and right out the box there is a big improvement with the ride and handling I still need to do some minor tweaking to them but now I need to get the front end straightened out. I have had the progressive front cartridges since 2010 their better than the stock setup but still have some brake dive and I'm still running the original front tire, tread shows about 50% but the compound must be getting hard, the end of last year I felt as if I'm fighting the front end even at slow speed. I'll be going through the entire front end this spring and adding the Ohlins fork cartridges and new tire. You might want to call Pete at www.computrackboston.com He may have some seals laying around for your JRI's as he rebuilds what he sells and is JRI & Ohlins dealer. He's is also a vendor on this site and he'll set you up right what ever direction you go!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 09:30:38 PM »

The 159 is the 3 series. The -1,-2,-3 indicate length of the shock. Example is the 3-3 is the 13" version of the 3 series shocks.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 09:47:48 PM »

I replaced my progressive 12 inch 440's that I've had since 2012, last year with the 13 inch 159's and right out the box there is a big improvement with the ride and handling I still need to do some minor tweaking to them but now I need to get the front end straightened out. I have had the progressive front cartridges since 2010 their better than the stock setup but still have some brake dive and I'm still running the original front tire, tread shows about 50% but the compound must be getting hard, the end of last year I felt as if I'm fighting the front end even at slow speed. I'll be going through the entire front end this spring and adding the Ohlins fork cartridges and new tire. You might want to call Pete at www.computrackboston.com He may have some seals laying around for your JRI's as he rebuilds what he sells and is JRI & Ohlins dealer. He's is also a vendor on this site and he'll set you up right what ever direction you go!

Thank you BostonBoy. I'll give him a call and see if he were to have seals for the JRI's and if not I'll go from there

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 09:48:52 PM »

The 159 is the 3 series. The -1,-2,-3 indicate length of the shock. Example is the 3-3 is the 13" version of the 3 series shocks.

Thank you OBB for the explanation. That gives me a little better understanding

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 08:05:37 AM »

I am now looking for a shock that handles well for me and rides well for the wife. Ohlins sounds the way to go for a long term product. For looking at their offerings I would say the 159's are what I am looking for, but I see folks here referencing a 3-2 and 3-3. The only place I can find those numbers are from Howard. Can any of you tell me what the difference is between the 3- series and the 159? Any personal experiences with the 159's good or bad?
Thanks
David

I replaced my rear shocks late last year with the Ohlins 772 which is a black version of the 159 and the 3-3 from Howard. Since it was late last season I don't have a lot of miles on them, and made a big improvement in the ride, I also did the FKC102 cartridges in the front. I don't know anything about the other brands out there, but I think just about anything you get is going to be a big improvement over the stock parts.
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 08:37:45 AM »

Just so you know, Ohlin recommend a rebuild of their HD-159 shocks at 30K miles.  I did not notice detereration  on mine at 28K miles, but they Ohlin was in Daytona like every year last year.  And at their booth they rebuilt them.  Left them the socks, they put loaner shock on my bike, came back next day and got my shocks back on.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

2ROWDY

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 09:53:36 AM »

I ordered 2-2adj from Howard at Motorcycle Metal. Best money I've spent so far.
2005 FLHTCSE2, RINEHART TRUE DUALS, FUEL MOTO AC/DC AIR CLEANER, DYNOJET POWER VISION FROM FUEL MOTO.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 11:36:39 AM »

Just so you know, Ohlin recommend a rebuild of their HD-159 shocks at 30K miles.  I did not notice detereration  on mine at 28K miles, but they Ohlin was in Daytona like every year last year.  And at their booth they rebuilt them.  Left them the socks, they put loaner shock on my bike, came back next day and got my shocks back on.

I figured they would fall right in there somewhere for a rebuild. Don't want everyone to take me wrong on the OP, JRI required a rebuild at 30,000 also and that didn't happen. Maybe thats the reason for the leakage, or maybe not but either way, I will own that one, I made that choice.

It is nice to know though that Ohlin provides that type of customer service and support. That just makes the decision easier for me that they are the way to go

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 01:26:20 PM »

I figured they would fall right in there somewhere for a rebuild. Don't want everyone to take me wrong on the OP, JRI required a rebuild at 30,000 also and that didn't happen. Maybe thats the reason for the leakage, or maybe not but either way, I will own that one, I made that choice.

It is nice to know though that Ohlin provides that type of customer service and support. That just makes the decision easier for me that they are the way to go

Another option you may want to consider is Fox Racing Shox.

I ended up getting these here:

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Fox_Racing_Shox_Preload_Rebound_Adjustable_Fox_Sho_p/897-27006.htm

I’ve used Ohlins and Fox on bikes for years. First Fox shocks I got as far back as 1978. I had Ohlins on my last Street Glide and they were fine. I had a similar experience as you had with the JRI. One of mine started leaking before I had 20k miles on them. This time I decided to try Fox on them. I only have about a thousand miles on them at this point, but completely satisfied. They are also rebuildable and Fox has been around awhile, so not worried about it.

Either way both shocks are good choices. I bought the fox shocks with the standard spring. I only weigh 200lbs bare-assed and my wife has her own bike. Almost always ride solo. The pre-load adjuster is essentially in the center of the adjustable range, so good to go there as well. Same for the rebound adjustment. The shocks were listed at $720 on the site, and I got %10 off that with free shipping.

Cheers!

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 12:49:08 AM »

I replaced my rear shocks late last year with the Ohlins 772 which is a black version of the 159 and the 3-3 from Howard. Since it was late last season I don't have a lot of miles on them, and made a big improvement in the ride, I also did the FKC102 cartridges in the front. I don't know anything about the other brands out there, but I think just about anything you get is going to be a big improvement over the stock parts.

Thank you for the comparison.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 12:52:59 AM »

Another option you may want to consider is Fox Racing Shox.

I ended up getting these here:

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Fox_Racing_Shox_Preload_Rebound_Adjustable_Fox_Sho_p/897-27006.htm

I’ve used Ohlins and Fox on bikes for years. First Fox shocks I got as far back as 1978. I had Ohlins on my last Street Glide and they were fine. I had a similar experience as you had with the JRI. One of mine started leaking before I had 20k miles on them. This time I decided to try Fox on them. I only have about a thousand miles on them at this point, but completely satisfied. They are also rebuildable and Fox has been around awhile, so not worried about it.

Either way both shocks are good choices. I bought the fox shocks with the standard spring. I only weigh 200lbs bare-assed and my wife has her own bike. Almost always ride solo. The pre-load adjuster is essentially in the center of the adjustable range, so good to go there as well. Same for the rebound adjustment. The shocks were listed at $720 on the site, and I got %10 off that with free shipping.

Cheers!

Thank you for the options. The Fox are probably a very good shock but honestly I will probably stick with Ohlins.

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 10:10:37 AM »

Thank you for the options. The Fox are probably a very good shock but honestly I will probably stick with Ohlins.
Understood. Reading my last post back I can see it was a little confusing. My last Ohlins shocks on my older street glide started leaking prior to 20k miles. Anyway, they worked fine prior to that. I just wanted you to know Ohlins can leak as well as the JRI's you had. This time I figured I would give the Fox shocks a chance. Besides they are made in the USA!

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 11:10:55 AM »

Understood. Reading my last post back I can see it was a little confusing. My last Ohlins shocks on my older street glide started leaking prior to 20k miles. Anyway, they worked fine prior to that. I just wanted you to know Ohlins can leak as well as the JRI's you had. This time I figured I would give the Fox shocks a chance. Besides they are made in the USA!

Honestly the leak its what bothers me, no matter what brand your talking about there will be random failures, just the lack of repair parts for a 4 year old product is what bothers me. Seems Ohlin parts are long term available

J.D.

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 11:11:11 AM »

The CVO Dynas have rear shocks made by Fox and are incredible.  Fox has been making dirt bike shocks for serms like forever.  I contacted Fox customer service for some general info on the Dyna shocks and they were great to deal with.  Emailed schematic files, answered technical questions, and offered a full factory rebuild service for a reasonable price.  Haven't tried the touring shocks but would recommend the company, generally speaking.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 21 queries.