Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New rotors and wheel install kit required to swap Agitator rims?  (Read 2864 times)

qranberry

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE Street Glide

I am considering swapping out the stock chrome/contrast Aggressor rims on my black 17 SGSE for the full-chrome version of the same wheel - the local dealer has included new brake rotors and wheel install kits as part of the quote, as per the parts/accessories catalogue.
I understand where these would be required if you were upgrading from a non-CVO model that isn't equipped with the Aggressor wheels, but my bike already has the same-sized Aggressor wheels, just a different finish.

I also asked for a quote on the chrome Agitator wheels, as I really like that look - again there are rotors and wheel install kits included in the quote. This might make sense if the Aggressor / Agitator rotors are not interchangeable, but the added cost would certainly affect my decision on which chrome rim to use.

Has anyone else here attempted or completed the same rim swap, and if so can you provide some background?

Thanks.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
Re: New rotors and wheel install kit required to swap Agitator rims?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 03:42:32 PM »

I put a set of black ones on a 2015 Street Glide Special, The wheel install kit was the wheel bearings and the collar that goes between the bearings, so you do need those, as far as the rotors, if your changing out from a CVO, I believe you should be able to use your old rotors, there are the same as what they want to sell to you. I did get them for the SGS, the only reason I could see was the new ones where chrome and better looking then the stock ones, but I pretty sure I could have kept the stock rotors. 
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 04:34:32 PM »

If you just change from one finish to the other with the same style and size wheel, you obviously do not need to change the rotors and the other parts (but you might want to consider changing the bearings if you have many miles on the stock ones since they haven't been terribly reliable).  It sounds like the person giving you the quotes is just going with what the catalog says without considering the fact that you already have the same wheels on the bike except for the finish.  If they want to actually figure out exactly what you need, they can compare the stock part numbers for your bike with the part numbers from a bike running the other style wheels.  You can also do that yourself with the online parts lists.  Here's one that is the most up-to-date I've seen, note in the parts list that all the parts are the same except for the wheels, where you have two choices of chrome or black.  Find a bike that comes with the other wheel you're interested in and compare that list to the one for your bike:

https://shop.outpostalaska.com/oempartfinder.htm#/Harley-Davidson%C2%AE/FLHXSE_1PXF_CVO_STREET_GLIDE_(2017)/WHEEL,_FRONT/1PXF//2017/FLHXSE_1PXF_CVO_STREET_GLIDE_(2017)//WHEEL,_FRONT

Jerry

Btw, I looked up a 2012 SESG that came with chrome Agitator wheels and as I thought the bearings and spacers are the same as those listed for your bike.  The brake rotors on the other hand carry different part numbers, probably due to cosmetic differences but I'm not 100% certain on that.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 04:47:48 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 07:12:11 PM »

jerry, the brake rotors are different for the agitators and the aggressors.  the agitators have 7 spokes, while the aggressors have 5.  so not just cosmetic, they won't even mount up since the 'spokes' have the rotor mounts in them.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 08:29:40 AM »

jerry, the brake rotors are different for the agitators and the aggressors.  the agitators have 7 spokes, while the aggressors have 5.  so not just cosmetic, they won't even mount up since the 'spokes' have the rotor mounts in them.

:2vrolijk_21:   Thanks for the heads up. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

qranberry

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 09:36:33 AM »

Thanks for all the help guys - much appreciated!

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

qranberry

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 08:40:01 AM »

Thanks for the tip Threephase. Unfortunately the exchange and shipping to Canada would probably put these out of reach. I appreciate all of the efforts though!

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 09:35:31 AM »

You re welcome. He might take less for them.  Been posted over a month you could ride down and have them put on here! Road trip!
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

qranberry

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 12:40:19 PM »

Looks like if I want the full chrome look I am going to have to bite the bullet and order new rims, but I am conflicted on which type to go with - Agitator vs. Aggressor. I prefer the overall look of the Agitator, but do I need to be concerned about having rims that were not available as stock as far as resale goes? Interested in hearing thoughts.

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 03:10:10 PM »

Did you check into having your wheels redone in chrome? As far as resale value I would not be concerned, it sucks stock and modified. ;D. If you go with new rims you could always keep your stockers if it made a difference to the new owner down the road.
T-MAN 117 kit

qranberry

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 04:32:44 PM »

Yes, I did look into it but having them chromed is almost as much money as new ones - and i can sell the take-offs to help offset the cost if I just buy a new/used set.
Thanks for the thought though.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 10:11:05 AM »

Not that it matters, but aren't the rotor bolts supposed to be a "one time" use bolt?

If so, you would still need to have a new bolt set if you swapped your old rotors to the new wheels.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 11:59:22 AM »

I changed the agitator wheels on my 2014 SERK from chrome to black ice. All I did was fit new bearings and rotor bolts. All the other parts were interchangeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.