Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: my one day review of the BMW K1600B  (Read 26972 times)

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
Re: my one day review of the BMW K1600B
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2018, 04:43:26 PM »

I'm seriously eyeing one of these...post some feedback when you get it.

I plan on it! Hopefully I can post in this "other Topic" section about the Beemer with out ruffling any feathers. I think we will have more interest in the CVO forum about the "B" model BMW than in the actual 1600 BMW forum. I have spent some time over there checking things out and the crowd seemed somewhat divided on the new B model. I think more than a few of the purist disapprove of BMW catering to the "Bagger crowd". One GTL owner even commented,"if I ride the B model, do I have to dress up like a Pirate?" I was LMAO, but I think he was making a serious point that he was not a fan of the new marketing direction BMW is taking and the potential crowd it may draw. Relax Skippy, I'm sure none of the new B owners will show up at one of your social functions for tea and crumpets. lol..

Steve@fullsac.com
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 04:46:04 PM by Fullsac Performance »
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2018, 05:03:09 PM »

I'm seriously eyeing one of these...post some feedback when you get it.

I think there's more than a few of us seriously "eyeing" one of these. 
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mark

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2018, 08:04:05 PM »

I plan on it! Hopefully I can post in this "other Topic" section about the Beemer with out ruffling any feathers. I think we will have more interest in the CVO forum about the "B" model BMW than in the actual 1600 BMW forum. I have spent some time over there checking things out and the crowd seemed somewhat divided on the new B model. I think more than a few of the purist disapprove of BMW catering to the "Bagger crowd". One GTL owner even commented,"if I ride the B model, do I have to dress up like a Pirate?" I was LMAO, but I think he was making a serious point that he was not a fan of the new marketing direction BMW is taking and the potential crowd it may draw. Relax Skippy, I'm sure none of the new B owners will show up at one of your social functions for tea and crumpets. lol..

Steve@fullsac.com

This is probably how the old crusty knuckle and panhead guys felt in the late 80s/early 90s when the lawyers and dentists started buying Harleys.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2018, 08:32:47 PM »

This is probably how the old crusty knuckle and panhead guys felt in the late 80s/early 90s when the lawyers and dentists started buying Harleys.

The reliable EVO motor came out in 1984 and that's when all the white collar guys realized they don't have to work on them to own one.   :P

Now, those of us that were riding knuckles, pans and shovels are to damn old and broken up to work on em so we're damn happy that they're more reliable......although it seems like that pendulum is heading back the other way.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 08:36:03 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2018, 11:12:00 PM »

Well after saying i really wasn't interested in the bike when JC first put it in my ear (he is such a bad influence..) to going out and testing it when I started this thread, I just gave my deposit today to order the dealers first 19 they get. Since they are obviously made in Germany the lag time between dealer ordering and delivery is a few months so they should be ordering fairly soon. I am hoping they will put the TFT screen they currently have on their GS model on the bagger (screen is awesome).
I went yesterday and rode it again for about an hour and though I am still a bit worried about the peg position, the performance of the bike is just really fun and insane!
I am counting on you Steve to come up with some mods for this bike so I am thrilled to hear you bought one and will be "doing your thing" here soon!
I do intend to put on the Remus exhaust system and either find a way to modify the stock seat for a drivers backrest or get a aftermarket. I will say I am totally excited about the bike now that I gave the dealer my 5K deposit and am committed!
Only thing I am going back and forth on is whether to get the GA with the trunk (they call it a top case) or regular bagger. I did tell them I wanted the GA but he told me I could change my mind up till they actually punch the order in as they pick either when they get the allocation to order. I love the convenience of having the trunk but like the look better without. Thoughts?
Th
Alan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2018, 11:55:01 PM »

Alan when is the 2019 supposed to come out?

Corbin makes a seat with a backrest for the Bagger.  The seat is not the same for the B and the GA, even though it's the same drive train.

West Coast GTG   

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2018, 12:07:08 AM »

Alan when is the 2019 supposed to come out?

Corbin makes a seat with a backrest for the Bagger.  The seat is not the same for the B and the GA, even though it's the same drive train.
they think it will be Sept. You sent me that pic of the Corbin which looks awesome but I had a Corbin on my softail and I always struggled with comfort. I saw that Simon posted that he did a Russell Daylong seat on his K1600GT and I have always heard they are crazy comfortable but I am not sure about their looks. My softail was a 96 so I assume the Corbins have improved drastically?
I did not know they had different seats, do you know the difference?
Alan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2018, 12:12:11 AM »

they think it will be Sept. You sent me that pic of the Corbin which looks awesome but I had a Corbin on my softail and I always struggled with comfort. I saw that Simon posted that he did a Russell Daylong seat on his K1600GT and I have always heard they are crazy comfortable but I am not sure about their looks. My softail was a 96 so I assume the Corbins have improved drastically?
I did not know they had different seats, do you know the difference?

I do.  They're making one that's not out yet but it's for taller guys and it will move you up and back just a bit to make the pegs a more comfortable fit.   http://www.corbin.com/bmw/bmwk16bhdte.shtml

And then when you get that seat you're going to need the bars back and up just a bit to be more comfortable.....

https://www.helibars.com/products/HeliBars%C2%AE-Tour-Performance%E2%84%A2-handlebar-risers-for-BMW-K1600B-Bagger/648.html
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 12:15:53 AM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2018, 01:33:08 AM »

I do.  They're making one that's not out yet but it's for taller guys and it will move you up and back just a bit to make the pegs a more comfortable fit.   http://www.corbin.com/bmw/bmwk16bhdte.shtml

And then when you get that seat you're going to need the bars back and up just a bit to be more comfortable.....

https://www.helibars.com/products/HeliBars%C2%AE-Tour-Performance%E2%84%A2-handlebar-risers-for-BMW-K1600B-Bagger/648.html
Thats great, thanks!
Alan

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2018, 10:16:29 AM »

Well after saying i really wasn't interested in the bike when JC first put it in my ear (he is such a bad influence..) to going out and testing it when I started this thread, I just gave my deposit today to order the dealers first 19 they get. Since they are obviously made in Germany the lag time between dealer ordering and delivery is a few months so they should be ordering fairly soon. I am hoping they will put the TFT screen they currently have on their GS model on the bagger (screen is awesome).
I went yesterday and rode it again for about an hour and though I am still a bit worried about the peg position, the performance of the bike is just really fun and insane!
I am counting on you Steve to come up with some mods for this bike so I am thrilled to hear you bought one and will be "doing your thing" here soon!
I do intend to put on the Remus exhaust system and either find a way to modify the stock seat for a drivers backrest or get a aftermarket. I will say I am totally excited about the bike now that I gave the dealer my 5K deposit and am committed!
Only thing I am going back and forth on is whether to get the GA with the trunk (they call it a top case) or regular bagger. I did tell them I wanted the GA but he told me I could change my mind up till they actually punch the order in as they pick either when they get the allocation to order. I love the convenience of having the trunk but like the look better without. Thoughts?
Th

Pulling the trigger! I like it. You may want to hold off on that Remus, Lol.. I was all over the GA model until I found out it's limited to 101 MPH. That's not safe for passing, IMHO. Don't know if it's possible, but I'm going to look at using the Harley quick attach mounts on the back of the B. How cool would it be to use our Harley backrest, Tourpack ect on the B?

Steve@fullsac.com

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2018, 11:27:26 AM »

Pulling the trigger! I like it. You may want to hold off on that Remus, Lol.. I was all over the GA model until I found out it's limited to 101 MPH. That's not safe for passing, IMHO. Don't know if it's possible, but I'm going to look at using the Harley quick attach mounts on the back of the B. How cool would it be to use our Harley backrest, Tourpack ect on the B?

Steve@fullsac.com

I was thinking that you may possibly be the first one to find a go around on that 101 mph limiter.  It's the same drive train so I'm thinking the speed limiter has to be done electronically.  I heard rumor while I was at the dealership in Daytona Beach that the GM (or owner or somebody there) is a speed rat and is already trying to work on a go around of that speed limiter on the GA.  I don't think it will be long and I totally agree with you Steve.....that limiter could get somebody into a lot of trouble in a passing situation....that was my first thought also.

Talking to the factory reps there in Daytona, they said that the speed limiter is a result of tests in the wind tunnel with the GA.  I suggested that they should have left the speed limit alone and instead, made that top box (tour pack) quick release.....that they'd sell a lot more of them for both the fact it doesn't have a limiter and for the fact that the top box is quick release. 

For the long haul rides, I'd like the GA but for running around the Black Hills here, I'd like the B.  On the fb page, there's a guy in Australia that's already designed and had made a back rest that could easily support a fiberglass top box.  He said it's made out of ss.  Not sure why he went that route but could be made for a lot less.....   https://www.facebook.com/groups/1402765506477886/

West Coast GTG   

mark

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2018, 02:05:08 PM »

I told the guy at Daytona BMW the same thing.  They should have made the trunk a quick release and put a slit in the seat for a rider's backrest.  I thought Germans were the practical Europeans...

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2018, 05:45:46 PM »

Three of us road them at Dayton bmw this year and liked them other than the sitting and foot position as everyone has stated. Looking forward to Steve’s upgrades. 

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2018, 07:31:55 PM »

Here's your peg lowering solution. This is a solid product and they offer one for a 2018 K 1600B.

https://www.suburban-machinery.com/K1600GTL.html

DH

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2018, 07:51:03 PM »

Here's your peg lowering solution. This is a solid product and they offer one for a 2018 K 1600B.

https://www.suburban-machinery.com/K1600GTL.html

DH

That's a step in the right direction, but I need to go forward as well.

Steve@fullsac.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.