Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: my one day review of the BMW K1600B  (Read 26998 times)

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
Re: my one day review of the BMW K1600B
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2018, 08:11:16 PM »

That's a step in the right direction, but I need to go forward as well.

Steve@fullsac.com

Your pegs forward? Or do you need to go forward because of the handlebars? The Helibars solve that problem. If you are trying to shift your feet forward then the only other solution I know of it is a running board replacement for the pegs or putting pegs on a crashbar.

Here is Ilium Works running board;
http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=26-200&pID=65

Here is a highway peg solution for Ilium Guard bar  - they make one for BMW guard bar too.
http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=19-500BL&pID=95

Good luck,
Simon

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2018, 09:09:24 PM »

Steve@fullsac.com

Yes, forward for me, too.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2018, 01:10:11 AM »

Steve@fullsac.com
I have until they get their first allocation before I have to pick the GA or just a B. I figure at least a month, maybe 2. Im counting on you Steve to either figure out a way to add a tour pak (or top case..) or a work around on the limiter. When I was out riding today I paid attention to how close I ever got to 100 and admittedly I was in the low 90's a couple of times when passing. I little part of me thinks knowing there is a limiter might not be bad but of course if I can get rid of it I would in a heartbeat.
I have faith in you Steve, not just for those things but all the mods I know you will be developing!!
Alan

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2018, 01:15:50 AM »

By the way, I hope no one is getting upset with us for posting about another brand here. Speaking for myself I will always have a Harley no matter what other bike I have and going to other forums just cant compare with ours!
With Steve now having one that he will be using for R & D, I am hoping we can "CVO" these babies...
Alan

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2018, 05:19:45 AM »

I have until they get their first allocation before I have to pick the GA or just a B. I figure at least a month, maybe 2. Im counting on you Steve to either figure out a way to add a tour pak (or top case..) or a work around on the limiter. When I was out riding today I paid attention to how close I ever got to 100 and admittedly I was in the low 90's a couple of times when passing. I little part of me thinks knowing there is a limiter might not be bad but of course if I can get rid of it I would in a heartbeat.
I have faith in you Steve, not just for those things but all the mods I know you will be developing!!

Alan

I'm not going to be much help with the speed limiter. Software and computer hacking is out of my very narrow window of abilities. I will make it sound good, I promise you that. Honestly, the 101 speed limiter really concerns me. It's a potential safety problem passing solo or with a group of bikes. You don't want to be the guy who stops accelerating mid pack when the group rolls it on to go around a semi. Especially if you have JC riding behind you! I believe mounting a Tour pack on a B model will be handled by the aftermarket long before the speed limiter is hacked on the GA.

Steve@fullsac.com
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 08:16:11 AM by Fullsac Performance »
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

mark

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2018, 08:41:53 AM »

Well after saying i really wasn't interested in the bike when JC first put it in my ear (he is such a bad influence..) to going out and testing it when I started this thread, I just gave my deposit today to order the dealers first 19 they get. Since they are obviously made in Germany the lag time between dealer ordering and delivery is a few months so they should be ordering fairly soon. I am hoping they will put the TFT screen they currently have on their GS model on the bagger (screen is awesome).
I went yesterday and rode it again for about an hour and though I am still a bit worried about the peg position, the performance of the bike is just really fun and insane!
I am counting on you Steve to come up with some mods for this bike so I am thrilled to hear you bought one and will be "doing your thing" here soon!
I do intend to put on the Remus exhaust system and either find a way to modify the stock seat for a drivers backrest or get a aftermarket. I will say I am totally excited about the bike now that I gave the dealer my 5K deposit and am committed!
Only thing I am going back and forth on is whether to get the GA with the trunk (they call it a top case) or regular bagger. I did tell them I wanted the GA but he told me I could change my mind up till they actually punch the order in as they pick either when they get the allocation to order. I love the convenience of having the trunk but like the look better without. Thoughts?
Th

The bike looks so much better without the trunk...as most bikes do.  I only need a trunk when taking a bike trip, so I'd go with the B, which avoids the problem with the speed limiter on the GA.  Surely, the aftermarket will come out with a trunk, or a mount could be fabricated for a BMW trunk.

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2018, 10:01:33 AM »

A 101 limit on the B is stupid. My GT isn’t limited and will do 160 or so I’ve been told. I’ve had my big ass up to 138 out in the middle of the desert. IMHO you need to be able to use that great HP and TQ. Otherwise you might as well buy a Harley. :)  :huepfenjump3:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2018, 10:46:12 AM »

A 101 limit on the B is stupid. My GT isn’t limited and will do 160 or so I’ve been told. I’ve had my big ass up to 138 out in the middle of the desert. IMHO you need to be able to use that great HP and TQ. Otherwise you might as well buy a Harley. :)  :huepfenjump3:

Simon, the B doesn't have a speed limiter.  It's the GA that has the speed limiter.  The factory rep that I talked with in Daytona said that the due to the top box, the bike started becoming unstable at speeds above 101 mph in the wind tunnel.  I told him that most of us don't ride in a wind tunnel.  It would be interesting to see the real story on that....

By the way, looking at their forums and facebook groups, many GT owners crossing over.  One post talks about all the Harley owners that are crossing over (by their own admission) but was surprised at how many GT and GTL owners have crossed over.

Lastly, Steve was exaggerating in his comments above.  I'm a dainty rider.....   8)
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2018, 11:15:17 AM »

Simon, the B doesn't have a speed limiter.  It's the GA that has the speed limiter.  The factory rep that I talked with in Daytona said that the due to the top box, the bike started becoming unstable at speeds above 101 mph in the wind tunnel.  I told him that most of us don't ride in a wind tunnel.  It would be interesting to see the real story on that....

By the way, looking at their forums and facebook groups, many GT owners crossing over.  One post talks about all the Harley owners that are crossing over (by their own admission) but was surprised at how many GT and GTL owners have crossed over.

Lastly, Steve was exaggerating in his comments above.  I'm a dainty rider.....   8)

Actually the B model does have a speed limiter but its much higher. BMW has it listed at "over 125 MPH". I read somewhere else that it's 134 MPH. Plenty fast enough for passing. Shortly after I get mine I will let you know the real number.:2vrolijk_21:

Steve@fullsac.com
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2018, 11:40:33 AM »

You're as dainty as a sledgehammer :)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2018, 03:13:36 PM »

Actually the B model does have a speed limiter but its much higher. BMW has it listed at "over 125 MPH". I read somewhere else that it's 134 MPH. Plenty fast enough for passing. Shortly after I get mine I will let you know the real number.:2vrolijk_21:

Steve@fullsac.com

I stand to be corrected  :2vrolijk_21:

I read on the forum where one of those guys said he went 135 mph but we all know how that goes.....    :nixweiss:

West Coast GTG   

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2018, 06:16:50 AM »

What’s the difference between the 1600 GT and the 1600 B? Same with the 1600 GA vs the GTL? They look the same to me other than the bags looking better and the seat looks lower for the bsr (great improvement in my opinion) on the newer models. On my gtl the bags and trunk were removeable. I guess not on the new models?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:18:57 AM by Robmay »

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2018, 09:48:03 AM »

What’s the difference between the 1600 GT and the 1600 B? Same with the 1600 GA vs the GTL? They look the same to me other than the bags looking better and the seat looks lower for the bsr (great improvement in my opinion) on the newer models. On my gtl the bags and trunk were removeable. I guess not on the new models?

I'm no expert but unlike the GT and GTL where you have the option of a removable top case, the B does have a platform to take add a case. So they came up with the GA version of the "Bagger" so that you could buy a top case. I don't know if the GA top case is removable but it would make sense that it would rather than not.

DH

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2018, 10:52:03 AM »

Mostly styling differences.  The B does not have a top box however, a couple of guys have already came up with a design of their own.  The GA does not have a removable top box.  If you look at them from the rear, they are different so not interchangeable.  Not sure what the HP or TQ are on the GT or the GTL but......here's the specs on both of these models and this is before Steve George works his magic over there at Fullsac....

West Coast GTG   

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2018, 12:33:29 PM »

Mostly styling differences.  The B does not have a top box however, a couple of guys have already came up with a design of their own.  The GA does not have a removable top box.  If you look at them from the rear, they are different so not interchangeable.  Not sure what the HP or TQ are on the GT or the GTL but......here's the specs on both of these models and this is before Steve George works his magic over there at Fullsac....

HP and TQ are identical on GT and GTL. Same engine platform, in-line 6.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 21 queries.