Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Mid Frame Deflectors  (Read 8427 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Mid Frame Deflectors
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 08:42:07 AM »

I'm not going to dispute how well they work, but to me they look like they would direct the air downward and right onto the BSR's feet.  That's why I've not installed a pair.

But if the conscious is that they DO work, I may pick up a pair next week at the HD shop in Rogers next week while in ES.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 05:46:41 PM »

I'm not going to dispute how well they work, but to me they look like they would direct the air downward and right onto the BSR's feet.  That's why I've not installed a pair.

But if the conscious is that they DO work, I may pick up a pair next week at the HD shop in Rogers next week while in ES.

I should have a pair here next week. Ordered from Boardtracker last night along with wheel bearing. I am betting that the wife will let me know her thoughts very quickly
Most great stores start with a bad decision

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 06:01:36 PM »

I remember when we got the 09 SERG, the fellow I had painting them for me was behind and it took him about a month. The bike was brand new and we were riding it alot, wife complained constantly about her boot being so hot she just couldn't stand it at times. She quit complaining when I reinstalled them and I think they without a doubt help my thighs. IMHO.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 06:15:29 PM »

seen some on amazon .... cheep, and you can get them in chrome, gloss black or mat finish. was thinking about changing mine to the gloss black
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 06:51:15 PM »

I remember when we got the 09 SERG, the fellow I had painting them for me was behind and it took him about a month. The bike was brand new and we were riding it alot, wife complained constantly about her boot being so hot she just couldn't stand it at times. She quit complaining when I reinstalled them and I think they without a doubt help my thighs. IMHO.
The wifes comfort is the main goal here. The more comfortable she is the better life is..... now if I could remember that when not on the bike...

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2018, 04:23:49 PM »

Is there ant special prep to paint the plastic on these deflectors?   ???

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 07:29:43 PM »

Ok, you guys talked me into it. I had removed the deflectors on the last two ultras I’ve bought so I
Took some touch up paint I have and painted a piece of paper, knowing this much CVO ruby red paint is impossible to get and a painter would charge ridiculous money, I went searching the auto parts stores and found a color match so close I can’t tell the difference after spraying H-D clear coat on them. The paint has slightly smaller metallic but you have to get 6” from it to notice.
I’m going to wet sand them and polish them out but had to show them.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 09:58:01 PM »

seen some on amazon .... cheep, and you can get them in chrome, gloss black or mat finish. was thinking about changing mine to the gloss black

yep, just ordered a set from amazon.  $22 shipped prime.  should be here monday.  got the gloss black ones.  not gonna paint them right away, will ride them for a bit to see how i feel about them, then let the wife try them on her bike and see how she feels.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2018, 01:41:45 PM »

Ok, you guys talked me into it. I had removed the deflectors on the last two ultras I’ve bought so I
Took some touch up paint I have and painted a piece of paper, knowing this much CVO ruby red paint is impossible to get and a painter would charge ridiculous money, I went searching the auto parts stores and found a color match so close I can’t tell the difference after spraying H-D clear coat on them. The paint has slightly smaller metallic but you have to get 6” from it to notice.
I’m going to wet sand them and polish them out but had to show them.

Look really good. I am going to try them first and see what the thoughts are from the wife before I go through the trouble of painting. Not sure if I couldn't find a rattle can that would get close enough on my yellow.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2018, 05:56:48 PM »

Some of the higher end paint jobbers can now mix you base colors and supply them in a rattle can. I saw some car mirrors that were done this way and they were good. Still have to clearcoat them but then you can sand and buff and they should look fine and much cheaper than a $75 - $100 pint that needs thinner etc.
Be SURE and sand the deflectors appropriately and chemically clean to get the plastic mold release off. I wouldn't paint them without a coat of adhesion promoter but that is just my choice. You can now even buy adhesion promoter in a rattle can.

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2018, 06:05:09 PM »

The biggest key to painting to match well, for me, was to buy a rattle can of H-D clear coat. It seems like they have a super high gloss mixture that matches the bikes clear and brings the base color out more.

I prepped them with liberal amount of rubbing alcohol and a quality spray primer.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 06:13:33 PM by King Glide »
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 06:17:50 AM »

you guys might not know this but thoses cheap ebay and the like mid frame deflectors will not fit the 17 and up models even though they say they do but fit the 16 and down just fine 

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2018, 09:06:29 AM »

The Harley shields are more of a decoration than a heat deflector. I had mine color matched to Big Blue Pearl and while they looked awesome they did very little to deflect heat while at a stop light or in very slow traffic. I opted to take them off put them on the shelf and purchased heat deflectors from RJS Originals. They have done wonders for the intense heat at traffic lights and slow speeds.

Notice the RH side is different from LH.  They are made of aluminum and covered with the same vinyl that Harley uses on their seats. Can be painted with the right paint I was told.
https://rjsoriginals.com/newSelect0010.htm
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 11:16:08 AM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2018, 10:42:56 AM »

Some of the higher end paint jobbers can now mix you base colors and supply them in a rattle can. I saw some car mirrors that were done this way and they were good. Still have to clearcoat them but then you can sand and buff and they should look fine and much cheaper than a $75 - $100 pint that needs thinner etc.
Be SURE and sand the deflectors appropriately and chemically clean to get the plastic mold release off. I wouldn't paint them without a coat of adhesion promoter but that is just my choice. You can now even buy adhesion promoter in a rattle can.

I will ask around and see if any of the paint jobbers around this area can do that. Honestly when it comes to paint I probably should leave it to someone else. I am one of those that can put runs in Krylon

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2018, 01:35:28 PM »

I forgot how hard It was to get a wrench under these but, here they are finished. Notice how many shades of color the bike is in the sun, that’s what made finding a color match easy, some place close to the deflectors it’s exactly the same, lol.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 22 queries.