Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question About '09-Up Swingarm  (Read 1127 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Question About '09-Up Swingarm
« on: May 31, 2018, 08:21:50 AM »

I never thought about it, but in the past shocks were always matched side to side, spring rate wise.  I would imagine to keep even pressure on the swingarm.

In the past few years the HD Premium shocks, both 12" and 13" have had very low spring rate on the right side and the adjustable side has a very high spring rate.

I would assume that the swingarms are now designed to handle almost a single side shock without any twisting of the swingarm.

Are the '09 and up swingarms that strong, really?

Thanks and see some of you in a few days in ES.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: Question About '09-Up Swingarm
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 01:17:29 AM »

Dan,
I've had the Harley Premium Adjustable Shocks on my '09 for > 55k and they handled / rode great! no issues with the swingarm... I used past tense since the shocks are worn and have seen better days...

The Premium Cartridges in the front really transformed the '09!! IMO more so than the rears...

Ed 
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 08:57:09 AM »

Ed, thanks for the information.

I have an almost new pair of the 12" HD Premium shocks.  The problem was that I had them all the way to the highest setting I felt they bottomed out a LOT.  I know that 2-up that your bike and my bike see about the same load, so maybe mine are just not working correctly.

But the bottom like is this, I have a set of Progressive shocks mounted on the bike now, forget the number right now, but a popular 12" version for the FL series bikes.  These are a bit short on lift as well, as I've had to turn them all the way down to max and they still do the 

I took the left side off Wednesday and replaced it with the left adjustable side of the HD Premium shock.  So I have a mixed pair of shocks on the bike, but when I look at the right side of the HD Premium shock being almost collapsible by hand, the added stiffness of the Progressive may work to give me just that bit more lift I need.  Especially with the trailer in tow.

I'll take both other mismatched shocks with me to ES just in case I need to swap one out again.

I'm thinking with the right side on the HD Premium shocks being almost not spring rate at all, the newer swingarms could possible be used as a mono shock without twisting the swingarm.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 01:39:09 PM »

Dan,
I believe you are correct. The swing arm on my 2015 RGU is massive and almost looks cast compared to the earlier models.
I will show you mine in eureka!
Mikey
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 02:09:37 PM »

Dan,
I believe you are correct. The swing arm on my 2015 RGU is massive and almost looks cast compared to the earlier models.
I will show you mine in eureka!
Mikey

Is this a, "I'll show you mine if you show me yours?"  ;D  ;D  ;D
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.