Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A tuner question for my 03 Road Glide  (Read 888 times)

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
A tuner question for my 03 Road Glide
« on: June 09, 2018, 02:48:58 PM »

Just had my 2003 Road Glide put together with a 103 long block Screamin Eagle heads 257 cams 50 mm throttle body. it's always been a good running bike with the the last motor build
 I'm just putting it back to similar specs to what it was, but my Screamin Eagle race tuner
 They tell me when they when they go to hook it up the fuel adjustments will be limited. it and bring it back down to just above street tuner specs
 Is that true? if so what tuner would be would work better would I be better off going to a direct link or a power commander V dealer pushes direct link.
Thanks
John Gonzales
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 01:20:03 PM by jagonza1 »

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
Re: A tuner question for my 03 Road Glide
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 08:49:27 AM »

That is one long and hard to follow sentence!  But I think you’re saying that you were told that your race tuner will not allow you to properly tune the bike.  As long as you are using a race tuner and not a street tuner,  the bike can be tuned properly.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 10:05:55 AM »

Just had my 2003 Road Glide put together with a 103 long block Screamin Eagle heads to 57 cams 50 mm throttle body it's always been a good running bike with the original motor and I just putting it back to similar specs to what it was but my Screamin Eagle race tuner they tell me when they when they go to hook it up it's going to flash it and bring it back down to the street tuner specs is that true and if so what tuner would be would work better would I be better off going to a direct link or a power commander V
Thanks
John Gonzales

Who exactly is "they"?  If you have the old SERT (Screamin' Eagle RACE Tuner), it has nothing to do with the new street tuner and I can't imagine how it would just automatically install a street tuner calibration (plus the fact they don't have a street tuner calibration for your modifications).  Did "they" try to sell you a different tuner by any chance?

Find yourself a good independent dyno tuner, not a dealership, and have the bike tuned properly with your current SERT if that person works with that system.  If not, find out from the guy doing the tuning what he recommends.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 01:25:08 PM »

What they say specifically. Their software changes and fuel adjustments are now limited. Not as bad as street tuner but won't allow to go beyond EPA standards.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 03:23:19 PM »

What they say specifically. Their software changes and fuel adjustments are now limited. Not as bad as street tuner but won't allow to go beyond EPA standards.

So you're working with a dealership and they aren't using the old software that applies to the SERT but rather a new version that keeps the tune street legal.  You shouldn't have that problem if you find an independent dyno tuner who isn't limited to legal tunes like the dealership.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 04:10:14 PM »

I know but they just installed the long. Lock and pushing for me to change to direct link because there won't be any restrictions. They say Harley got dinged and forced to change just on the tuner.

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 04:37:43 PM »

There are no restrictions with the Race Tuner.  If they are stating that, find someone else to tune it.  They are wrong.

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 08:57:08 PM »

I would normally agree but there are very few dynos in New Mexico and my long block k is under their warenty for a year

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.