Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Throttle by wire and Grip issues  (Read 1817 times)

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
Throttle by wire and Grip issues
« on: July 29, 2018, 10:28:14 PM »

I was rinding into the hotel parking lot last night, when the grip would turn all the way around, but the throttle wouldn’t respond. Somehow the throttle by wire slide out of the end of the handle bar. I was able to disassemble the grip and switchgear  and slide everything back together with a piece of electrical tape holding the throttle by wire into the handle bar, in the parking lot this morning. What caused this to slide out in the first place?
Supershooter

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Throttle by wire and Grip issues
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 08:40:58 AM »

Scratching my head on that one. The sensor just slides (snug fit) into the handle bar until it's seated against the end of the bar and the anti-rotation nub fits completely into the notch on the bar.  There is no separate retainer to lock it into place, the grip when adjusted properly should prevent the sensor from walking out of the end of the bar.  Was the handle bar switch clamp loose?  Had the clamp been loosened or removed in the past?  Take a look at the anti-rotation nub on the sensor and see if it looks like it had been just barely engaged in the notch and finally wore enough to come loose.  Also take a look at the inside of the grip at the nylon drive gear to see if it was barely engaged and perhaps wore enough to no longer engage the sensor properly.  That's the extent of what I can think of off the top of my head.  I wonder if others have had this problem and I've just never heard of it. :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 09:26:19 AM »

I had a similar problem a few years back while on the freeway my throttle wasn't responding. I was able to make it to a dealer where thier fix was me purchasing new grips said couldn't repair. Although mine is old wire operated. The grip was slipping slowly and trying to slide off.

Jeevz

• Junior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Stardust
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 10:23:28 AM »

Happened to me last summer too, on a two month old bike.  As Jerry said, the handlebar switch clamp was loose and all i had to do was slide the entire right side switch and grip assembly back on and fully tighten the screws.  Thought something was broken until I found the screw on the bottom of the clamp loose.  Dealer replaced the TBW assembly after we had a discussion about how dangerous it is to have this happen on a two lane road in the Ozarks.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 12:41:41 PM »

I fixed mine by just loosing the clamp and moving the grip inward. No more problems.
Bill

WTF Chuck

• IBA 74296
  • 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2022 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Limited
    • Muck Cross Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 04:43:54 PM »

Had the same thing happen on my 14  about 6 months after I bought it while on a trip.

Pulled off loosened the housing moved switch assembly inboard made sure  throttle was working
 finished trip no more problems in 56000 miles.

Fullsac DX Pipe  2" cores and screens
Dynojet  Power  Vision  Tuner
KST's
HARLEY 28 SPOKE CHROME WHEELS
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Magic Strobe-LTP
WHAT' S Next
Darkside
Ecsta PA31
195/60/16

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 03:52:04 PM »

OP, do you have after market grips?

I have both changed grips and changed handle bars myself on three bikes and cannot understand how this could happen. If the screws on the switch housing are loose enough to allow the grip to slide out you would have to notice it.

Crazy things happen I guess.

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 08:43:14 AM »

Well I took my bike to the local dealer and they machined a spacer to fix the problem. I’m still scratching my head about what went wrong and am hoping this works because I’d like to take this bike on long trip for business and absolutely can not afford for it not to work. I’ll keep everyone posted as to how it works.
Supershooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.