Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Leaking rear shock  (Read 3864 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Leaking rear shock
« on: August 21, 2018, 07:48:14 AM »

Was out yesterday and noticed the rear brake was not up to its normal braking.  When I checked it there was a film of oil on the rotor "oil from the right shock"  :-\ the shock will still hold air, it's most likely just the oil seal for the piston

The part # on the shock is 54565-67c

I've been searching but can't find any kits to overhaul them
Are there kits for these shocks?       (07 ultra classic) any one know what seals are in these shocks?
Can the seal be replaced?
I see there's a retaining spring clip under the bust boot so it should come apart.
Thanks for any input

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: Leaking rear shock
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 08:53:09 AM »

harley doesn't sell a rebuild kit for these shocks, but honda does.  i don't have the numbers, but your local honda dealer probably does.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

J.D.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 09:09:51 AM »

To clarify, the part # suffix is "-97c".

They can be rebuilt but it's a bit of a PITA.  YouTube has videos.  Same shock as used in older Goldwings.

I'd suggest getting a replacement set off eBay before rebuilding.  These are typically very inexpensive.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 10:31:02 AM »

To clarify, the part # suffix is "-97c".

They can be rebuilt but it's a bit of a PITA.  YouTube has videos.  Same shock as used in older Goldwings.

I'd suggest getting a replacement set off eBay before rebuilding.  These are typically very inexpensive.

Thanks  that's my dyslexia kicking  in :P

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 02:12:10 PM »

There are probably thousands of those shocks sitting in people's basements and garages after they were replaced by aftermarket products.  Some people changed them out almost as soon as they bought the bike.  Ask on this site about low mileage take-offs in the "buying" section.  I would imagine you could also find a large number of them on ebay. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 06:45:41 PM »

Thanks guys,
 I'll see if I can find if there's any overhaul kits out there for them. I really don't want used ones I'd rather overhaul the ones I've got if pos.

Plan B,  If I can't get an overhaul kit I'd do away with the air and go for manual adjustment shocks.

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 06:54:21 PM »

Or if you want the back end height lowered a smidge go for the 12" shocks.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 11:00:04 AM »

Found the piston seal for the Showa 54565-97c rear shock parts are available at your local Honda Dealership. 
Can't believe you have to go to Honda for a part for a Harley.

At their parts counter they wanted a  reg # or vin # I said the part is for my Harley those numbers i don't think will be helpful.
He said your at the wrong dealer, looking at me a little funny,  I told him to look up shocks for the older Goldwings.
It took about five minutes and sure enough there they are, full breakdown of the shock and rebuild part numbers

I got the seal ordered it'll be in Friday

J.D.

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 11:13:51 AM »

Then you'll need to get oil back in to the correct level.  This procedure can also be found on YouTube.  Honda shoukd sell the correct oil and be able to spec the volume.  Probably a good idea to drain and refill the oil in the other shock as well.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »

Then you'll need to get oil back in to the correct level.  This procedure can also be found on YouTube.  Honda shoukd sell the correct oil and be able to spec the volume.  Probably a good idea to drain and refill the oil in the other shock as well.

I've been surfing UTubie it dose help :2vrolijk_21:

I think it's something like 10oz of oil  per shock (but don't hold me to that) .

I will do the LH shock oil at the same time, the seals not leaking on that one. Now I know I can get the seals I won't bother changing the LH till it need it.
I'll pick up the oil at Honda on Friday when I pick up the seal.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 07:12:29 PM »

A few years back I bought my brothers 2000 RK Classic. Brought it home and next morning oil on the floor both shocks. He never put air in them even though the bike only had 1000 miles. Bought a stock set on Ebay for $75. New owner still running them.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 01:06:21 AM »

Apparently  ATF fluid can be used in these shacks. That I have plenty of,  use it in the primary.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 11:36:08 AM »

My 12" air shocks did not leak, but read someplace that using a heavier front fork oil would help.

It took a long time to drain my shocks and I filled them back up with an old brass hypodermic type syringe.  It had about a 1/16" hollow needle on the end that allowed me to squirt down inside the shock to refill.  This worked quite well.

But the shocks still gave me a crap ride, so my 12" shocks are just sitting in a box with a plug in the air line hole.

Just a warning, without a plug in the air shock airline port, the shocks can leak oil if laid down or stored other than standing upright.

Good luck with your rebuild.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 02:44:04 PM »

harley doesn't sell a rebuild kit for these shocks, but honda does.  i don't have the numbers, but your local honda dealer probably does.

Picked up the seal from the Honda Dealership  today  for my air shock. I couldn't bring myself to say it was for my Harley  ::) :nixweiss:
I'll be installingit tomorrow.
Thanks for the input.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 02:45:49 PM by longlast »

J.D.

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 02:53:02 PM »

It'll be interesting to see if this is the leaking seal or if it's a different seal internally.  I can't imagine this seal holding up to 40/50 psig air pressure.  I'd imagine there's a high pressure shaft seal above it.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 09:51:38 PM »

It'll be interesting to see if this is the leaking seal or if it's a different seal internally.  I can't imagine this seal holding up to 40/50 psig air pressure.  I'd imagine there's a high pressure shaft seal above it.

I wondered the same thing but it only shows one seal I had mentioned it to the Honda parts guy I sat down with him at his computer and we look for an internal seal but it came up with only one.

In the link part # has changed but same breakdown   24 is the seal.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/1984/gl1200-a-gold-wing/rear-shock-absorber

J.D.

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 09:56:12 PM »

Yep, looks like that is it.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 09:59:41 PM »

I'll find out for sure tomorrow when I get it off . I'll  e doing some measur before I strip it down.

J.D.

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2018, 10:03:30 AM »

Looks like this might be the easiest way to pop it out:
https://youtu.be/1aNvAIuzCLo

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2018, 11:24:46 AM »

Looks like this might be the easiest way to pop it out:
https://youtu.be/1aNvAIuzCLo

Thanks  :2vrolijk_21:

But I had beaten you to it the jobs done seal changed on the RH shock and oil changed on both.
Used vacuum to remove and install the oil and did use air to pop the seal out, it took a bit of doing before the seal popped not like in that video I had 100psi still took about 8 goes to pop it.
Been out for a test ride all seems good got back and no leaks so far, see what happens when the wife's on it as well.

J.D.

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2018, 11:30:06 AM »

Well done!

What did you use for oil and refill volume?

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2018, 02:33:40 PM »

Well done!

What did you use for oil and refill volume?

Cheers,  I've appreciated your input  :2vrolijk_21:

10oz came out the of the RH shock and between 11&12oz on the LH. I put 11 1/2 oz in each  (RH had the leak)

I used ATF it seems that can be used and I've got plenty on hand so I've given it a try.
Can all ways suck if out if need be.

The oil that came out was black dirty oil. Same with my forks when I did them black dirty oil the book says 50k service, hahaha, on that.
I'll be shock and fork oil changing at 15k . Sooner for the shocks if I'll don't feel I like the ATF.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:39:21 PM by longlast »

J.D.

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2018, 03:26:53 PM »

ATF should be about the correct viscosity.  IIRC Honda uses 3w oil.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 22 queries.