Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuel Gauge concern  (Read 617 times)

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
Fuel Gauge concern
« on: September 07, 2018, 03:18:31 PM »

Hi There,

Recently the fuel gauge on my '08 CVO Ultra went on the fritz bouncing back & forth.  Typically I go by my mileage and do not concern myself with what the gauge says.

However, it was getting annoying and of course always caught my eye with the needle bouncing up & down, so I thought I should check it out and make it right.  Speaking over the phone with my local dealer the rep was certain that the problem was with the gauge itself and ordered me a new one.  I replaced the gauge with little effort - the re & re of the outer fairing was the biggest chore, and I've done that so many times I can almost do it in my sleep now.  ;D

Anyway, after installing the new gauge I took the bike for a ride to check it out.  Nope, that one was doing the same thing although the needle was not bouncing around quite as much.  It was decided to leave my bike at the dealership for them to have a look.  They decided to order in another new gauge and low & behold the same darn thing is happening! 

After that they decided to check the sending unit to ensure it was working properly which they did by installing a stock gauge from a regular Ultra Classic and it worked perfectly!!!  Now they are going to order in a third new gauge thinking that it is some kind of strange freak thing to have 2 new gauges not work and no way would there be a third.  Fingers crossed.

Just wondering if anyone has ever had their gauge act like this and what was the eventual fix?  Possibly there is something else that we're overlooking???  :nixweiss:

Thanks for your assistance in advance.  :2vrolijk_21:
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
Re: Fuel Gauge concern
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 04:37:09 PM »

Never had that happened but my gauge is not very trustworthy (probably numerous threads about that) it’ll show 1/2 tank buts really closer to 1/8.  When it hits 1/4 the light comes on and you better be finding a station quick!

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
Re: Fuel Gauge concern
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 03:51:15 PM »

The gauge has some dampening to keep it from bouncing and possibly that is not bad, in which case a new gauge is required. 

Turn the ignition on and the gauge should go slowly from E to F then back to show the actual level.  If it goes fast it is done for.

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.