Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Update on my motor and question on ecm  (Read 1164 times)

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
Update on my motor and question on ecm
« on: September 14, 2018, 10:03:34 AM »

My motor  is a long block 103 on a 2003 roadglide 103" 50mm throttle body se 257 cams S&S power-tune duals  freedom American outlaw slip-ons.
I have been on the dyno several times and it continually has 2 areal that are running rich the worst is at low rpms 2000 to about 24000 and people behind me complain about it.
and it feels rough there the second is around 3000feels rough there too. my milage dropped from 38mpg to 30 on the hiway.

so 2 part question.
could there be a reason that its not tuning right?
Second does anyone have experience with thundermax ECM? I am wondering if i shouldn't do that and give up on the dyno and go that route?
Thanks guys
John A. Gonzales

So I am questioning the dyno tune. I see it on the graqh  that it has a significant dip around 2000 to 2400 rpm's and another little on right at 3000.
The Dyno shows 105hp and 119tq.

Feels a a bit rough in those spots.

So I will try to get them to re do the dyno. My other option if that doesn't work in my mind is thundermax ecm.
 I have the oxy ports. Does anyone have any experience with it cause I am very distrustful of my dealership these days?
Thanks
John A. Gonzales
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 01:38:19 PM by jagonza1 »

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Update on my motor and question on ecm
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 08:20:42 PM »

The Thunder max will not fix your problem....I'm not saying the tune up you have is good or bad however the Freedom mufflers you are running with 2.5 to 3'' baffle will never run good between 2000 and 3000 rpm. The baffle is going to kill the low end tq no mater what tuner you use. Then link a top end cam to the equation in the 257 cam and the dip at low end will even get worse. The next time you have it on the dyno try covering up 50% of the muffler at the end with a 2x4, on both sides, run the bike again and you will see the dip subside and tq get much better than it was before between 2000 and 3000 rpm.
Don't waste your money on more tuning or a Thundermax.....it won't help. The S&S header is fine, the 257 cam aren't bad, however the 2.5 to 3'' baffle will kill your low end.
Once you get a good muffler then get a GOOD TUNE, your mileage and power and smoothness will get much better....!
Doc
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 08:24:35 PM by Doc 1 »
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 08:32:01 PM »

What compression ratio are you running?  I assume it's the stock ratio since they did a complete long block.  The 257 cams need more compression to help on the bottom end, and the usual recommendation is between 10.5:1 and 11.0:1.

Don't fall for the hype about the T-Max.  You are much better off with the stock ECM combined with an excellent tune.  I have no idea who you had tune the bike, but in most cases you need to look someplace other than a Harley dealership for a good tune.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 10:37:28 AM »

I have a 10.5 to one compression ratio and I did try a set of cvo mufflers with fullsac 2" baffles might be better in midrangre but going on military base is still way rich. I would like to try my V&H twin slash rounds but need to replace a baffle first I have a cracked one.

Also there is a spot at 3000 RPMs  that is rough kind of rich and the dyno sheet shows this with a dip. I have repeatedly talked about it but not being addressed.

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 12:47:40 PM »

You won’t find anything much better than the Fullsac 2” baffles.  I’m betting that you didn’t have it retuned after the swap.  Once retuned for those baffles by a competent tuner, your issues should disappear.

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 06:51:40 PM »

No I didn't. Stuck with our dealership right now since the sold and installed the motor. It was like this with the freedoms as well and it was tuned to them. I think mid-range pulls better with fulsac

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.