Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: 185 miles on her...sumping  (Read 9548 times)

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
Re: 185 miles on her...sumping
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2018, 12:14:07 PM »

And now he has flagged his Dealer to be investigated by the EPA for compliance violations.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 12:35:40 PM »

Picked up my '18 CVO Limited last night...brought her back in today for Rinehart Motopro 45's and a Power Vision - canned tune as she doesn't have enough miles on her yet to run it on the dyno.  Left the dealer with the new pipes and tuner and took the longer way home.  About 2 miles from the house she lost tons of power...let it sit at home to cool down and then sat her upright and let it idle for about 5 minutes while I changed some setting on the radio.  Went for a test ride and it could barely get out of her own way pulling out of the driveway.  **EDIT** I also saw that the oil was close to a quart low on the dipstick. **

Called to the dealer and they confirm the symptoms sound like sumping.  They'll be here in the morning to pick it up.  Sucks as I was to leave out in the morning for a couple day 3 state ride....

On a side note - if they change the oil pump, etc, they already asked me about the adjustable push rods in case I do cams in the future to save labor.  I'm all for it and told them that.  Question - if I plan on staying with the Rineharts and Power Vision, no more, what is a good lower to mid range rpm cam to run (looking for more torque than HP)?  Is it even worth upgrading the cam if I don't do much else?

Sucks....185 miles on the clock and already headed back in to the shop.  I traded a '15 FLTRXS in with about 37k on her and she never had a problem....

With respects to his original question.....has anyone changed the cam in their M8 and wish to share before and after info?

CVOSGJoe

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 06:14:17 PM »

With respects to his original question.....has anyone changed the cam in their M8 and wish to share before and after info?

So yes I have.... ‘17 CVOSG w Stage lll kit, Wood WM8-222 cam, FM 2-1-2 header, Steet Cannons and PV tuner.   Dyno’d in at 123HP/130TQ.  Don’t have the pre-cam numbers in front of me. 
'17 CVO Street Glide w/117 kit.. more mods to come
SOLD-'15 CVO Street Glide. H.C. Mercury Mods are: FM 2-1-2 ceramic header, E-Series FM slip-ons, PV-2, 110 tweaked by Fuel Moto, Detachable Tour-Pak, Heated Seat & Grips and the list goes on....

mark

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 08:59:17 PM »

My last post on this topic....I'm covered. Period. Trust me that I know this when I say it. All you naysayers can go do and believe what y'all want.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

As a new forum member you've sought advice, been given good information that you didn't want to hear, so you've chosen to disregard it.  Here's the problem...the dealership has written a check they can't possibly guarantee.  The HD factory owns the warranty and they issued it, not the dealership.  The factory has the final say-so on warranty issues, not the dealership.  You were given a verbal promise, apparently by an employee, that may not be working there in six months and will have convenient memory loss if questioned.  Those verbal promises aren't worth a bucket of warm spit.  This is easily resolved...ask the dealership to place in writing what you were told.  I suspect you'll see sudden obfuscation.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:57:45 PM by Mark »

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 09:17:19 PM »

To quote an old saying, the OP will be in for a "rude awakinging"

Well ya tried to warn him

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 09:41:10 PM »

He has some hard lessons to learn. Many others will follow in his footsteps.

cyco1450

• Elite CVO Member
  • Cheaper to keep her...
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO RG Black Earth/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO SG - sold
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 11:01:34 PM »

And I've got this nice bridge I'll sell you for next to nothing.

I hope you got that in writing, but I doubt you did.  The dealership can't obligate H-D to cover their verbal "warranty", so you have to hope this dealership will pay out of their own "pocket" when you have a powertrain failure.  In fact you may get to learn all about how the H-D official warranty works after you do an illegal mod real soon.  Good luck, you'll probably need it.

Jerry
Jerry, i realize you are an old grumpy fart, but respectfully, as a guy who rides a 13 year old CVO, what do you know about what the dealers are doing these days? If you buy parts from an HD dealer and they install it, you have a receipt evidencing same. If that ends up causing a problem, the dealer is on the hook as well as HD as their authorized dealer. At that point, do you care who pays to fix your bike? By law, in a product liability claim, you can go after everyone in the chain of distribution.
2018 CVO RG Black Earth
2007 CVO Springer Amarillo Gold 1 of 398
2003 100th Ann FLSTCI
2001 CVO Switchblade
1999 Dyna WG Zippers 107
1997 Heritage Springer Ol’ Boy
1997 Fat Boy Street Stalker 1 of 1
1993 Heritage Softail Cow Glide #1109
1990 Fat Boy Grey Ghost 1st year
1977 FLH Restomod
1977 XLCR
1971 FX Night Train!

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 12:19:57 PM »

YUP ! have a friend in OK that had motor work dome by dealer there. he came to Va & had motor failure.  bike was ( supposed to be under factory, MOCO warranty) dealer here couldn't & wouldn't do repair work. had to load the bike up on truck(he bought my bro p/u) drive it back to OK for repair. figure the cost & aggrevation of buying or renting a vehicle (that you didn't need). one year later he came back to Va. while here traded it on a CVO. the Va dealer told us that as they were going thru the bike the moter was about to explode again. they had to eat the cost of repairs & making it right. this I know first hand, not a hear-say from someone else. like everyone has said, once you get out  away from your dealer, YOU ARE SCREWED & it does go into a database that goes to the MOCO. there's a dealer in Greenville TN that told us they would note in the database to the MOCO if you even changed slip on mufflers. I wouldn't buy nothing from them. told the group I was with "time to go, don't even use their toilet".
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 12:39:12 PM »

YUP ! have a friend in OK that had motor work dome by dealer there. he came to Va & had motor failure.  bike was ( supposed to be under factory, MOCO warranty) dealer here couldn't & wouldn't do repair work. had to load the bike up on truck(he bought my bro p/u) drive it back to OK for repair. figure the cost & aggrevation of buying or renting a vehicle (that you didn't need). one year later he came back to Va. while here traded it on a CVO. the Va dealer told us that as they were going thru the bike the moter was about to explode again. they had to eat the cost of repairs & making it right. this I know first hand, not a hear-say from someone else. like everyone has said, once you get out  away from your dealer, YOU ARE SCREWED & it does go into a database that goes to the MOCO. there's a dealer in Greenville TN that told us they would note in the database to the MOCO if you even changed slip on mufflers. I wouldn't buy nothing from them. told the group I was with "time to go, don't even use their toilet".

Recording changes to your bike in the HD database is now the norm, not the exception. That’s the reality. You’re simply not going to find dealers going forward that are willing to risk violating their franchise agreement to bend rules for a single customer. The remaining dealers out there still bending franchise rules will be corrected or jettisoned. Its the new world. You can no longer have it both ways. Break the rules and you forfeit your Warranty. Its really that simple now.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:40:54 PM by Heatwave »

mark

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 09:17:31 PM »

Jerry, i realize you are an old grumpy fart, but respectfully, as a guy who rides a 13 year old CVO, what do you know about what the dealers are doing these days? If you buy parts from an HD dealer and they install it, you have a receipt evidencing same. If that ends up causing a problem, the dealer is on the hook as well as HD as their authorized dealer. At that point, do you care who pays to fix your bike? By law, in a product liability claim, you can go after everyone in the chain of distribution.

You miss the point.  You don't have to be familiar with a HD dealer to determine their verbal claim is meaningless.  It would be meaningless and unenforceable no matter the business, whether it be General Motors or Samsung.  Go to an attorney and repeat the OPs claim that the dealership issued a verbal warranty, in violation of the factory warranty, and see what the response is.  Again, if you believe the dealership is willing to accept the liability of violating the factory warranty then ask for their promise in writing.  That's something you're never going to get.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 09:32:54 PM by Mark »

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2018, 09:28:14 PM »

Wow very sad to read. Over on HDForums a guy posted a video of buckets of boiling oil dumping from his crankcase. The bike is a BRAND NEW STOCK 2019 CVO RG in Red Pepper. Less than 1000 miles on the bike. Its shocking but the video looks exactly the same as my own video when the boiling oil was dumped from my own 2017 CVO Limited after sumping.

HD has a very serious problem on their hands. I am now convinced the M8 engine requires a complete redesign. If after 3 model years and tons of oil pump redesigns, they are still having brand new bikes sump .... well.... I’m afraid this is going to get ugly before it gets better.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 09:41:31 PM by Heatwave »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2018, 09:32:06 PM »

Wow very sad to read. Over on HDForums a guy posted a video of buckets of boiling oil dumping from his crankcase. The bike is a BRAND NEW STOCK 2019 CVO RG in Red Pepper. Less than 1000 miles on the bike. Its shocking but the video looks exactly the same as my own video when the boiling oil was dumoed from my own 2017 CVO Limited after sumping.

HD has a very serious problem on their hands. I am now convinced the M8 engine requires a complete redesign. If after 3 model years and tons of oil pump redesigns, they are still having brand new bikes sump .... well.... I’m afraid this is going to get ugly before it gets better.

Going to?   :-\

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2018, 09:39:41 PM »

Going to?   :-\

Thanks for the clarification. Should have said “I’m afraid this is going to get MUCH uglier before it gets better!”

J.D.

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2018, 11:03:10 PM »

For me if even one stock '19 sumps the M8 engine design still isn't corrected, even with the multiple new pumps and pump seal.  Unfortunately this is going to really hurt the MoCo in today's market.  Bad news travels fast.

jeroenelectrum

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2018, 03:03:49 AM »

i have the cvo roadglide 2019  120 km   and sumped ......  so 2019  also sumping year......
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.