Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: 185 miles on her...sumping  (Read 9721 times)

GKroadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: CVO Road King 2014 (FLHRSE6) sold
    • CVO2: CVO Street Glide 2021 (FLHXSE)
Re: 185 miles on her...sumping
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2018, 05:20:44 AM »

that is crappy to hear that the 2019 CVO also have the sumping problem  :-[.

I wanted to trade my CVO Road King these days and order a CVO Road Glide (Red Pepper) ....

I should think about it for a few more days or maybe keep my perfect running King for a while  8)
CVO Street Glide 2021
FLHXSE
Sunset Orange & Sunset Black Fade
Jekill & Hyde Exhaust
http://jekillandhyde.com/en_US/our-technique
131cui

ultrarider123

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2018, 07:16:00 AM »

They don't need an inspection, they can easily detect a non-stock tune over the H-D/Dealer network.  If the dealer is thinking they can just put the stock tune back in with the PV before connecting to the network, maybe that will work and maybe it won't.  I read elsewhere that the PV still leaves a trail in the ECM even after restoring the stock calibration file.

In this case the engine has sumped.  If there is any internal damage, especially if a new engine is required, odds are Harley will figure it all out.  I really don't care, I have no skin in the game.  I just hate seeing people be conned, or con themselves, into believing they can get away with the same things they did in the bad old days.  We've already had posts from other members on the site acknowledging the fact that Harley voided their powertrain warranty after they made illegal mods.  This guy's been warned; and he responds with "attitude".  So be it, don't expect any sympathy if bad things happen.

Jerry

Jerry, every kid has to stick their finger in the light socket at some point in their life....how do you expect them to learn anything?  The site folks have warned him and this time, the power was off.  Next time, the juice may be on and he's shocked... :nixweiss:

It's also very concerning that the '19 models are having the same issues as the previous two years of M8 with legal OR illegal modifications... >:(

I'm with you fellers on glad that his dealer has covered their customer even with these warranty killing modifications (they installed). 

However, woe unto those that trust the devil....he will turn on you faster than Earnhardt at Bristol...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:26:26 AM by Haird »

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2018, 08:28:54 AM »

Jerry:

I agree with your assessment compketely. 

The main issue is going to occur if he travels outside the selling dealers area, runs ino a problem and has to have service at another dealer.  Then the mods will show up and they will flag the bike and cancel the warranty. 

Best regards

Jerry

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2018, 09:11:18 AM »

I don't even see this guy being safe with his own dealer. 

For now it appears they have kept their word to the new buyer.

But, and there is always a butt!

It only takes one new employee or manager at his dealership to change the store policy or to find out that several in the dealership are not complying with the "current" policy.

Sucks that this still happens!

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2018, 09:30:14 AM »

I don't even see this guy being safe with his own dealer. 

For now it appears they have kept their word to the new buyer.

But, and there is always a butt!

It only takes one new employee or manager at his dealership to change the store policy or to find out that several in the dealership are not complying with the "current" policy.

Sucks that this still happens!

More importantly I believe this dealer dumps this customer the moment the warranty claim gets serious. Its nothing for a dealer to cover the cost of an oil pump. Let’s watch how fast this dealership bails on this guy if he has to replace an entire engine under warranty. There are posts of multiple 2019 CVOs having sumped. Therefore the LATEST oil pump can be assumed NOT to resolve sumping.

Folks we’re going to be seeing lots of new forum members in the coming months with very sad stories. Buckle up.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2018, 02:12:19 PM »

Jerry, i realize you are an old grumpy fart, but respectfully, as a guy who rides a 13 year old CVO, what do you know about what the dealers are doing these days? If you buy parts from an HD dealer and they install it, you have a receipt evidencing same. If that ends up causing a problem, the dealer is on the hook as well as HD as their authorized dealer. At that point, do you care who pays to fix your bike? By law, in a product liability claim, you can go after everyone in the chain of distribution.

I guess that I am rapidly approaching the point where I am unable to make comments about dealers.  Dang, old age sucks.
 :oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Bike30

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2018, 02:25:51 PM »

The critical question for 2019 sumpers is what oil pump assembly was installed. If an older 2018 design was used during early production it may be prone to sumping more than the current design with the larger seal described here and in other Forums.

yobtaf103

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2018, 02:35:44 PM »

The critical question for 2019 sumpers is what oil pump assembly was installed. If an older 2018 design was used during early production it may be prone to sumping more than the current design with the larger seal described here and in other Forums.
Indeed would be interesting to know, both these 2019 cvo cases are Red pepper, so could be the colour batch Moco done early in production?

ultrarider123

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2018, 02:36:53 PM »

Very good point and one with merit... :2vrolijk_21:

....if not for the fact 2017, 2018 and now 2019 owners are still experiencing and we are still well into discussing sumping issues three model years into the M8 reign.  To me that trumps (little t) whatever be da kurent fix... :)

The comment on Indian and how they handled the 116 issues should be a shining example to the MoCo....but it won't be.

2001, I bought one of the first local 2001 Honda 1800 Goldwings (didn't keep it long...another story) and before I had it two months, Honda called it back for three recalls.  Volumes spoken.... ;)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2018, 02:37:46 PM »

That question is easily answered. The manuals and product schematics clearly show the new oil pump design in 2019 M8 bikes. Also worth noting they have not updated SB1450 to include 2019 M8s which assumes the new 2019 design would have addressed sumping. Clearly HD had no interest in truly testing this new design under real road condition testing.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 02:39:32 PM by Heatwave »

Bike30

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2018, 02:46:00 PM »

Pictures in the SM and early production as-built parts "may" be different. The SM reflects that was intended to be installed when it was printed. However I can't argue either point until someone opens up a 2019 sumper and has a look at what's there. If the new design pump parts are in there then that's not a fix is it? This question will be answered soon.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2018, 02:52:27 PM »

Pictures in the SM and early production as-built parts "may" be different. The SM reflects that was intended to be installed when it was printed. However I can't argue either point until someone opens up a 2019 sumper and has a look at what's there. If the new design pump parts are in there then that's not a fix is it? This question will be answered soon.

HD shut down manufacturing back in April/May 2018 to convert over to the new MY manufacturing. All the 2019s will have the same design. They would have no reason to make changes until after reports of issues in the marketplace. Just like we're seeing now. I won't be surprised to see an update to SB1450 within a few weeks to include all 2019 M8s with some new, slightly modified gasket. Its all BS until they redesign the M8 engine IMO.

Bike30

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2018, 02:59:43 PM »

We'll just have to see what's installed. I copied the new part and seal from another thread here. Note the date on the box from September. It may be that they were available earlier this year for production. Time will tell.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2018, 03:12:05 PM »

I hate to suggest this, I think HD knows they have us by the cojones.

They knew that we, the buying public love to modify the bike, more so than any other bike out there. We love cams, intakes, exhaust, and tuning. And with their new policy in place, why would they ever change anything knowing they can easily dump ALL failures as soon as we change stuff on the bike. They have no incentive to do so. Do other manufacturers have the same kind of no tampering policy?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2018, 04:19:48 PM »

in theory, yes.  since the 'no tampering' is to keep the bike within federal epa specifications and it is against federal law to take it out of those specifications.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.