Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Milwaukee 8 117cu.in. motor is louder than the 107  (Read 8400 times)

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
Re: Milwaukee 8 117cu.in. motor is louder than the 107
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2018, 04:29:08 PM »

Yes sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the new bike. Can you post some more pics of the slip ons please possibly with the bags off?

Using Tapatalk

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2018, 05:09:15 PM »

Sure.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2018, 05:20:49 PM »

The cam un the 19 cvos is bigger than the 2018s. More lift and duration equals more noise.

sorry, that is incorrect.  the cam in the 2019 is the same cam that is in the 2018.  these models in the attached all use the same cam.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2018, 05:22:28 PM »

Sure.

Thanks man. Much appreciated.

Using Tapatalk

Bobs14Limited

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2019, 08:47:12 PM »

Yesterday I took delivery of my 2019 CVO Limited in Magnetic Grey Fade.   I love this bike.   Rode it home in the dark cold and it's strong and comfortable and the heated seat and grips worked perfectly.   I also added the stage two amp and speakers (which I can't believe it wasn't on there already).   I had a 2018 Street Glide Special with the 107 M8 motor, just for the summer,  as I was waiting for this beast.   

With all that said......I can't believe how much more engine noise this 117 puts out versus that VERY quiet 107.    When I first rode that 107, after coming off a 2012 CVO Ultra with the Twin Cam 110,  I found that 107 to be so quiet.   So, naturally, I expected this 117 to be as quiet...NOPE. 

Don't get me wrong....it's still quieter than the 110  (sounded like there was a can of bolts flying around in the motor), but not nearly as quiet as the 107.

Anyone else notice this?   My mechanic even noticed it.   It was the first 117 he had set up.   It runs great, and I'm not going to do anything about it, but I was just making the observation.   I was really impressed with the lack of engine noise coming from that 107.    I wonder if has something to do with the bigger cam in this 117?

Thoughts?

Thanx in advance,

HD

I know this post is 10 months old but just thought I would comment.
I had a 2017 non CVO Limited with the 107. Last week, I upgraded to a 2020 CVO Limited. I only have about 150 miles on it, but yes, the 117 does have a unique sound. I noticed in the 1600-2000 rpm range, there is a tinny type sound. Does it in neutral or when reving throttle from idle when pulling away from stop. I thought this sound could be from the 117's open element air cleaner, especially compared to the stock 107 air cleaner housing. Who knows.

Wrenchspinner3

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2019, 12:03:25 PM »

I am curious if the dealer downloaded a new tune when he installed the Rineharts, or was it just bolt on and go?

Skipper

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE-6
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2019, 03:19:12 PM »

I am curious if the dealer downloaded a new tune when he installed the Rineharts, or was it just bolt on and go?

x2
"F..@* the Rushmore's, I'm gonna keep my Babe"

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2019, 01:40:42 AM »

CVO's come with a Stage I download from the factory I believe. So changing out the slip-ons is easy.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2019, 08:38:23 PM »

I know this post is 10 months old but just thought I would comment.
I had a 2017 non CVO Limited with the 107. Last week, I upgraded to a 2020 CVO Limited. I only have about 150 miles on it, but yes, the 117 does have a unique sound. I noticed in the 1600-2000 rpm range, there is a tinny type sound. Does it in neutral or when reving throttle from idle when pulling away from stop. I thought this sound could be from the 117's open element air cleaner, especially compared to the stock 107 air cleaner housing. Who knows.
For the tinny sound:  Check all the exhaust heat shields.  They can do that if they aren't fully tightened onto the exhaust header and muffler.  Also make sure they aren't touching any part of the frame or engine (other than the exhaust).  Then check the rear muffler mounts for tightness and that the rubber vibration dampers are OK.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2019, 08:47:18 PM »

Bikes with a stock exhaust header (which still has the catalytic converter) restrict the flow so much that changing to slip-ons doesn't allow much extra flow.  In the closed loop portion of the fuel map, the ECM can adjust for the small amount of extra air flow.  So a new fuel map (the download) isn't needed for SOs.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Bobs14Limited

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2019, 09:19:20 PM »

For the tinny sound:  Check all the exhaust heat shields.  They can do that if they aren't fully tightened onto the exhaust header and muffler.  Also make sure they aren't touching any part of the frame or engine (other than the exhaust).  Then check the rear muffler mounts for tightness and that the rubber vibration dampers are OK.

Thanks. I did check all the heat shields along with the muffler mounts when I got the bike home from delivery. They are all tight and not touching the frame or engine. I just activated the H-D Connect service which requires the engine to start for activation. The noise wasn't there for the 5 minutes or so till activation took effect. Must only make the sound when it's fully warmed up.
Maybe it's just the way the warmed up engine sounds with the open element air cleaner? I never owned a bike with this type of air cleaner before.
Could be the nature of the beast?  :nixweiss:

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.