Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pre-Ignition Ping  (Read 1079 times)

SEFast

• Speedy
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • UT

• CVO1: 2016 Road Glide Ultra CVO
Pre-Ignition Ping
« on: November 13, 2018, 07:05:38 PM »

Had my 110 Dyno'd at the dealer last winter and now am getting a lot of pre-ignition pinging when I throttle up to pass or climb a hill. 

Spark plugs indicate that the engine is running lean (plugs are white). 

Started having a bunch of engine fault codes and the dealer replaced a bad ECM.  I asked about a new dyno and they said that they had transferred the old dyno program to the new ECM and the bike would not need to be redone.  I personally don't think that was good as the ECM could have had faults during the last dyno.

Thought on the pre-ignition pinging???

Thanks in advance for any help!!

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
Re: Pre-Ignition Ping
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 07:55:04 AM »

What tuner was used to dyno tune the bike?  Did the dealer have the tuner interface?  Was the bike good (no pinging) up until the ECM was replaced? 
I would be concerned with how the dealer “transferred “ the old program.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 07:59:10 AM »

The bike would need to be retuned to a tuner and checked for lean, but I’d lean towards timing and load.

Was the bike tuned in a different area of the country compared to where you live?   

The tuner can put a load on the bike e.g. (Dyno brake) and should be able to check where the knock sensor is going off and adjust the timing tables to fix the issue.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 08:12:38 AM »

Check the obvious items like intake air leaks to eliminate things other than the tune, then find a better tuner.  Most Harley dealers don't seem to have great or even good tuners on staff; yours may be different but if you've been having these issues since immediately after they tuned your bike I'd say you got a lousy tune.  They can detect detonation problems on the dyno, they don't even have to do a road test, so giving the bike back to you in that condition tells me pretty much all I need to know about them.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 21 queries.