Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sena 20s and Apple CarPlay and the BoomBox GTS  (Read 1508 times)

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2007 Buell XB12SCg, 2000 FXSTD Deuce
Sena 20s and Apple CarPlay and the BoomBox GTS
« on: November 25, 2018, 08:52:26 PM »

If I understand correctly apple Carplay will only work if the iPhone is plugged into the bikes USB port and the Senas 20s is synced with the Boombox. Having Carplay is a great asset as I will be able to use Google Maps or Apple maps (from Carplay) as well as using the pre-loaded navigation software in the Harley Boombox.
I am not much into having the Sena unit attached to my helmet nor have speakers fitted inside the helmet. I prefer to listen to my tunes through the bike's speaker system and to view the map on the Boombox to guide me to my destination.
So here is my question; if i was to pair the Sena to the Boombox then put the Sena unit in a pocket or in the saddle bag would the Apple Carplay still appear on the Boombox. I am not looking to use any voice commands, just use the touchscreen on the Boombox. What do you reckon? Comments please?  Thanks.

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
Re: Sena 20s and Apple CarPlay and the BoomBox GTS
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 07:20:31 AM »

Yes -  That works.    I throw it in the Left Compartment on the Road Glide.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 08:04:51 AM »

Yes, as said it will work.  You can also listen to navigation commands and music though the speakers while it is paired. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

oe542bob

• Full CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7(traded)
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE(traded)
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE(traded) ‘19 FLHXSE(traded) ‘21 FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 05:42:50 PM »

With my recent purchase of a ‘19 FLHXSE, I’ve been working on this also. First I found and purchased a short usb to lightening cable with 90° ends. I have an iPhone 8+ which seemed to big to fit into the space in the fairing.
Thinking I’d need a smaller phone, today I removed the foam pad, took my bumper case off. Plugged into the provided usb plug with my short cable and put the phone in, top end in with cable towards me. Hmm, just didn’t fit in far enough. So I was looking into the compartment and saw a grommet that the usb cable was pushed through. Thinking maybe I could some how modify the compartment or that grommet, then I got the idea to insert the phone bottom end first. To my surprise, it now fit in perfectly and I can now latch the door!
I ride with a half helmet and have been looking at buying a full face helmet. For now, until I find a full face, I’ve mounted the microphone/bracket to my half helmet for now. Raining here in PA, so I didn’t do a test ride to see how well it will work to talk while riding. You are able to disconnect the speakers from the mount. A plug is provided in the box to seal up the connector. Bike is set to use the speakers instead of the headset.
CarPlay works pretty well, but I’ve only played with it in the garage today. Have CarPlay in my Ram truck so I’m familiar with how it works.
Plus with the CarPlay active, I now can stream SiriusXM and use my Waze app.
Does anyone know in advance if my microphone will work being out in the open? I’m gonna find out, just wondering.

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2007 Buell XB12SCg, 2000 FXSTD Deuce
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 06:32:54 PM »

Quality response. Thanks guys. Let us know Bob how your comms work out. From experience with the 2016 Glide be careful with the removal of the foam insert in the USB compartment. The door to that compartment has been known to spring open under acceleration and the iPhone to come flying out if it’s not restrained by the foam. How do I know? It happened to me on my iPhone 6. I’m using an iPhone 8 now with a very short USB to right angled Lightning connector and I just remove the iPhone case and slot the phone into the foam. I now wait until delivery of my ‘19 Glide in March. Takes a long time to come across the Atlantic.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 06:44:00 PM by PeterJ »

oe542bob

• Full CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7(traded)
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE(traded)
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE(traded) ‘19 FLHXSE(traded) ‘21 FLHXSE
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 10:31:24 PM »

Quality response. Thanks guys. Let us know Bob how your comms work out. From experience with the 2016 Glide be careful with the removal of the foam insert in the USB compartment. The door to that compartment has been known to spring open under acceleration and the iPhone to come flying out if it’s not restrained by the foam. How do I know? It happened to me on my iPhone 6. I’m using an iPhone 8 now with a very short USB to right angled Lightning connector and I just remove the iPhone case and slot the phone into the foam. I now wait until delivery of my ‘19 Glide in March. Takes a long time to come across the Atlantic.
Thanks for that heads up with the door coming open. Didn’t think about that at all. I tried it with the foam, but it was interfering with how it needs to fit. I’ll come up with something, maybe cut the foam padding in half.

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 06:50:22 AM »

Happened to me too on my Street Glide too.  I had taken the foam out so my wife's iPhone 6 Plus would fit.   After that I put the foam back and only carried my std iPhone 6 in the compartment. 

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.