Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arai helmet  (Read 4098 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Arai helmet
« on: May 28, 2007, 05:38:06 PM »

HQ and I are looking for new helmets.  TC & Diva let us try their Nolan N-102 and they are great but we're just not full coverage folks (even if they do flip up).  Considering the Aria Classic SZ/C which can be fitted with the J&M clampless headsets.

Anyone have any experience with this brand and maybe this model?  Kind of pricey so want to make sure we'll be satisfied if we take the plunge.  Right now she's wearing a Shoei RJ Air Platinum and likes that fine, just getting old.  So a similar current Shoei model is also a possibility.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 10:45:55 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
Re: Aria helmet
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 05:45:34 PM »

UltraFXR,

That's what I use in addition to the HD carbon fiber Half helmet.   The J&M equipment sounds good -- I actually bought the helmet at the J&M booth at the Galveston Rally with electronics and HD specific lower cable attachment at the same time.

Very comfy and they have four open/closed air vents in them.  The sun visor works good too!  I haven't taken it off to try a full face shield but I guess it would work.

Just found out that our CVO sticker will peel off of it in the rain....   :'(

I have to say that the 3/4 and full helmets seem to amplify the exhaust noise as opposed to the half helmet.... anybody venture a guess why?

Mark

hogwander

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 06:28:59 PM »

Sound amplified with the full and 3/4 helmet.  The shape of a full face helmet is somewhat of a bell shape. This shape is used to vibrate and send out sound. It would only be reasonable that objects like a helmet with an open bottom would also react in the same way to sound resonating from below it. Thus your head is inside a bell shaped object "or Bell helmet" that picks up vibrations the outer shell and noise below and amplifies it to your ears. Some helmets would transfer sound better than others depending on multiple variables.== padding, fit, material, head shape , helmet shape, muffler choice of decibel and relation to rider location.

What do I know?
5 P's = Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 06:52:11 PM »

I have the N102 Nolan full face helmet and liked it except for 3 reasons-

1)-after an hour of riding it felt like my neck was going to break off.
2)-even though I had the correct size, the sunglasses pinched badly.
3)-road with the visor up all the times because of the resonating noise (not turbulence) with the visor closed.

I now have the 3/4 Arai SZ/C but do not have the J&M headset installed.  It is simply the best helmet I have ever owned.  It is light weight and no resonating noise.  No problems with sunglass pinching either at the ears.

When I was at Daytona bike week, my friend with an Ultra gave $550 a piece for he and his wife with the audio installed.  He bought them from a J&M distributor that is located in the Piqua, Ohio area.  I gave $300 plus shipping for mine from an Ebay store from a shop in Michigan.  He has them listed for $369 (list price) and he has a make offer button and I offered 20% off or $300..

They are also Snell approved.  I hope I never have a need for the extra protection of a full face lid but this Arai easily is the best helmet I have ever used.  Highly recommended.

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
  • Life's short! Get busy living or get busy dying!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 07:16:42 PM »

I wear an Aria Profile with integrated J&M and Nikki wears an Aria Quantum-2 with the J&M added.

Its the most comfortable helmet I've ever had. I have to think the venting works well because we've worn them across AZ and New Mexico. The sound is good too. I've also noticed some pinching when I wear sunglasses for more than a couple of hours.

Nikki loves hers too but said she wants to replace the cheek pads in hers with the thinner pad.

If something ever happened and I had to replace mine I'd be looking for another one just like it.
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 07:28:43 PM »

Its the most comfortable helmet I've ever had. I have to think the venting works well because we've worn them across AZ and New Mexico.
If something ever happened and I had to replace mine I'd be looking for another one just like it.

I forgot to mention how great the vents work.  Thanks Greg.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 07:53:45 PM »

I've had great luck with shoei helmets have used them for years.  Full faces, 3/4 and 1/2 they are made for a round head shape.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 08:10:36 PM »

I just ordered this...

http://www.araiamericas.com/helmet_details.asp?model=CLASSICM

Pearl Black Classic M with the J & M headset http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?PF=08&ProductID=HS-ECD584-OF
being installed prior to me picking it up. I tried it on in the store (got it at a Honda store ???) and wore it around for awhile to make sure it was comfortable.  I usually wear a carbon kevlar half helmet, but wanted one of these for the colder/rainy weather and long distance touring for the phones and tunes.

It should be in this week.  I can let you know what I think after a few miles.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 08:18:09 PM by Cobaltman »
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 09:33:04 PM »

Let me know if you figure out some way to quieting the muffler noise besides ear plugs.

It looks like the speakers are directly connected to the helmet shell.  There doesn't appear to be much space around the speaker and the earpieces.  Don't know if one might fill it up with foam or something else to reduce the roar.  Still love this helmet though...

Mark

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Arai helmet
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 11:03:15 PM »

Jerry, I've got an Arai ClassicM that I had for quite awhile before getting the Nolan N102.  Really like it alot.  In fact any Arai lid I've ever had has been great. 

Fortunately I didn't have the problem with the Nolan you mentioned.  Didn't seem too heavy and my neck never complained.  I've also not experience the resonance that Bob seemed to describe with the shield fully closed.  Though I rarely ride with it all the way closed unless on the phone on the NCom bluetooth thing in the helmet.

My only issues are the size of my ears.  I have to remembe to make sure the pockets that cut out for the speakers are tucked around them.  But that's an issue with my dumbo-esque ears more than it is the helmet.  And as long as make sure the helmet is on right it's not a problem at all.  The only other issue was that sunshield.  I just couldn't use it and took it off.  It's bottom line fell right in my line of sight.

Overall I don't think I have a preference between the Nolan and the Aria for general comfort.  I still wear the Aria a lot when not too far from home and not concerned about catching a phone call.  I just needed to go a full face of some kind though to knock more of the general wind noise down.  It had gotten to the point that at the end of a day longer than 500 miles or so I just couldn't hear anymore.  So.......  the old man's lid to save what hearing is left.

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.