Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ECM Restoration  (Read 2339 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
ECM Restoration
« on: June 19, 2007, 12:34:52 PM »

All,

Some time ago Garznhogs had an issue while programming his SERT with a map and accidently shut the power off while writing to the ECM.   This rendered his ECM useless (or was told so).   The dealer ended up replacing his ECM for him, but sold him a new SERT.

I recently asked him if he would mind sending me his ECM and old SERT to play with and see if anything could be done with it to restore it to life.   He said that the dealer told him it had to be replaced and could not be salvaged.

My local Lead Service Tech and I got to talking about how rediculous this was and he said that it could most assuredly be resurrected unless it was an actual bad board in the ECM, but given the scenario he felt 99% sure that the ECM could be restored.

Well within 4 minutes or less the ECM was restored to life, it took longer to take the bag and the side cover off and walk them to a shelf to be stored on.  What took about 15 minutes was the linking of the ECM to the TSSM on the bike we were working with.

Let me go over a few things here before moving on.

We did not use Garz's Vin Number had we done that it would have cost 165.00 dollars which Harley bills the dealership for because it is a CVO VIN.   What we did was a FREE Flash of the ECM using the Vin from the bike we had infront of us an 04 Police Edition.   It did not matter what Free Flash we used because we were going to put the CVO 1690 map into the ECM as soon as it was sync'd with the TSSM to prove it could be salvaged.

BTW the passcode that TSSM and the SERT uses are not stored in the same place on the ECM as the map.  after the reflash of the ECM both of those were still in good working order.

We also found this HD Tech Artical on the subject:

The tech article outlining this process from Harley Davidson is TT287   Screaming Eagle EFI Race Tuner Programming Failures.

Ok so now we have linked the TSSM put in the map loaded the SERT map and then started the bike.   All is good except that the ECM has the same Vin in it and is now linked to this other persons bike for the test we did.

None of this can be done without using the Digital Tech from Harley.

Now to restore the bike back to its configuration so that the guy who owned the bike can use it we had to rehook up his ECM and relink it to the TSSM.   In this process it only took 20 seconds at the most.   It seemed that his ECM remembered the TSSM and only needed to be told to relink to it and it was done.

Thought this was quite interesting playing with this because it removes some of the myths that when you lose an ECM during programming that your are done and at the mercy of the dealership.  So instead of this costing lets say 1000 dollars to replace both items with labor etc this should only cost 165.00 for the Vin Programming per harley not the dealer and 1 hour or labor for the shop to hook it up and do all the digital tech work and linking.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: ECM Restoration
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 12:42:32 PM »

Thanks Harry.  That is certainly good to know. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
Re: ECM Restoration
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 10:59:27 AM »

All,

Some time ago Garznhogs had an issue while programming his SERT with a map and accidently shut the power off while writing to the ECM.   This rendered his ECM useless (or was told so).   The dealer ended up replacing his ECM for him, but sold him a new SERT.

I recently asked him if he would mind sending me his ECM and old SERT to play with and see if anything could be done with it to restore it to life.   He said that the dealer told him it had to be replaced and could not be salvaged.

My local Lead Service Tech and I got to talking about how rediculous this was and he said that it could most assuredly be resurrected unless it was an actual bad board in the ECM, but given the scenario he felt 99% sure that the ECM could be restored.

Well within 4 minutes or less the ECM was restored to life, it took longer to take the bag and the side cover off and walk them to a shelf to be stored on.  What took about 15 minutes was the linking of the ECM to the TSSM on the bike we were working with.

Let me go over a few things here before moving on.

We did not use Garz's Vin Number had we done that it would have cost 165.00 dollars which Harley bills the dealership for because it is a CVO VIN.   What we did was a FREE Flash of the ECM using the Vin from the bike we had infront of us an 04 Police Edition.   It did not matter what Free Flash we used because we were going to put the CVO 1690 map into the ECM as soon as it was sync'd with the TSSM to prove it could be salvaged.

BTW the passcode that TSSM and the SERT uses are not stored in the same place on the ECM as the map.  after the reflash of the ECM both of those were still in good working order.

We also found this HD Tech Artical on the subject:

The tech article outlining this process from Harley Davidson is TT287   Screaming Eagle EFI Race Tuner Programming Failures.

Ok so now we have linked the TSSM put in the map loaded the SERT map and then started the bike.   All is good except that the ECM has the same Vin in it and is now linked to this other persons bike for the test we did.

None of this can be done without using the Digital Tech from Harley.

Now to restore the bike back to its configuration so that the guy who owned the bike can use it we had to rehook up his ECM and relink it to the TSSM.   In this process it only took 20 seconds at the most.   It seemed that his ECM remembered the TSSM and only needed to be told to relink to it and it was done.

Thought this was quite interesting playing with this because it removes some of the myths that when you lose an ECM during programming that your are done and at the mercy of the dealership.  So instead of this costing lets say 1000 dollars to replace both items with labor etc this should only cost 165.00 for the Vin Programming per harley not the dealer and 1 hour or labor for the shop to hook it up and do all the digital tech work and linking.

-harry

i had to have my ecm restored.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.