Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Deep South Eagle  (Read 15313 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Deep South Eagle
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 12:13:52 AM »

Ed's going to be OK, but sore for some time. He might have a broken wrist and he does have 2 or 3 broken ribs. He's going to be in a lot of pian for a while.

He said he was running 80 MPH and before he could even blink there were 4 deer. Three of them were in his lane and darted off the road leaving one on the other side of the road. He thought maybe he had a "hole" to blast through as he was doing 80 MPH or so. Not to happen though. Two of the three deer went back across to check on their buddy. He plowed right into the side of one of them and the second one rammed into the side of him knocking him off the bike. Says it was like hitting a brick wall. Next thing he knows, he's sliding down the highway, then tumbling a while, then sliding for a while. He slid off the blacktop and down a deep ditch. when he finally stopped moving he was face down with his head on a log like it was a pillow. He could still hear Stevie Ray Vaughn playing on the Cd player as he laid there for 30 minutes or so. He raised his arm as traffic went by, but realized no-one could see him in the bottom of the ditch. He managed to get his cell phone and call the place he works and they sent an ambulance. His bike had landed in some brush between two trees and was still upright, with Stevie Ray playing. The guy with the tow truck ended up riding his bike back to his house, so it's not too torn up.

All in all he's very lucky. Very little road rash as he had on all the leathers and a helmet. He's always been on my case about wearing a helmet. I imagine that will only get worse. I'll look forward to when he is back riding and on my case again.

I told him all the site members are showing concern and praying for him.

Ken,  SO glad to hear that Ed is somewhat OK...he'll heal up and be riding again before you know it.  He's right to be on your ass about the helmet thing, and you know that at some level.  Ed is one of those guys who looks like he could pinch off your head and chit down your neck (and probably could), but I liked the guy right off the bat because he's real...

I'm just glad to hear it didn't turn out worse...please give both him and Trish our love and if there is anything we can do, you got the number!!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 06:03:35 AM »

Dang!!!

Big Ed Down... and no deer meat to show for it...that just sucks!!!

I will have to go by the Hospital tomorrow and check on him.
He cooked some mean ribs at Ken's this year and now has broken three
of his own...just aint right!!!

Were praying for you buddy...hope you get well soon and have a speedy
recovery...

Barry

Last night I asked him, Did it kill the deer? He was drugged up, but said. "I sure as hell hope so."
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 07:31:43 AM »

Ed's going to be OK, but sore for some time. He might have a broken wrist and he does have 2 or 3 broken ribs. He's going to be in a lot of pian for a while.

He said he was running 80 MPH and before he could even blink there were 4 deer. Three of them were in his lane and darted off the road leaving one on the other side of the road. He thought maybe he had a "hole" to blast through as he was doing 80 MPH or so. Not to happen though. Two of the three deer went back across to check on their buddy. He plowed right into the side of one of them and the second one rammed into the side of him knocking him off the bike. Says it was like hitting a brick wall. Next thing he knows, he's sliding down the highway, then tumbling a while, then sliding for a while. He slid off the blacktop and down a deep ditch. when he finally stopped moving he was face down with his head on a log like it was a pillow. He could still hear Stevie Ray Vaughn playing on the Cd player as he laid there for 30 minutes or so. He raised his arm as traffic went by, but realized no-one could see him in the bottom of the ditch. He managed to get his cell phone and call the place he works and they sent an ambulance. His bike had landed in some brush between two trees and was still upright, with Stevie Ray playing. The guy with the tow truck ended up riding his bike back to his house, so it's not too torn up.

All in all he's very lucky. Very little road rash as he had on all the leathers and a helmet. He's always been on my case about wearing a helmet. I imagine that will only get worse. I'll look forward to when he is back riding and on my case again.

I told him all the site members are showing concern and praying for him.

I thought I've seen mention of them here before.  Is there a deer whistle for our bikes and do they work?  We have an  over population of ungulates in my area and it's scary at times.....
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 12:26:59 PM »

So glad to hear that Ed is ok.

That is my biggest fear in riding my bike is that chance that an animal will come out in front of me. I really don't know how I would/will react to it. It's one thing to learn about that stuff in the safe riders course but it's a totally different thing when it happens in real life.

Get better soon, Ed. We are all thinking about ya.

Kathy

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 02:34:22 PM »

Ed, Get Better SOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Broke ribs are real sore, for a real long time.  Don't get a cold at all costs, ya can't stand the pain of coughing.  Not that a broke wrist is any walk in the park either.  We sure are glad though, that you lived through the ordeal.  What an eerie feeling to be off the road, no one able to see you to even know that you could use help.  What a wonderful thing that Ed could get to his cell phone to call for help. 

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 05:45:51 PM »

Damn sorry to hear about this close encounter. 
Last night I asked him, Did it kill the deer? He was drugged up, but said. "I sure as hell hope so."
  Now that's a good attitude, even if they were out of season.  :2vrolijk_21:

Hope he recovers quickly and his scooter isn't in too bad a shape.

Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2007, 06:29:00 AM »

We tried to call and check on Ed last night but didn't get through. Evidently the night before last, he spent in ICU. They kept running him through X-Ray and cat scans. I'd imagine they're looking for brain damage just in case. He took a nasty spill. Ended up he had 6 ribs broke not four. Of course none of the ones that were broke before.

That man is A-ok. The other day in the hospital he was drugged up pretty good and his sense of humor and story-telling abilities was shining. I can always learn from him. I learned how to get an armidillo out of a hole. According to Ed:

If you see an armidillo in the middle of a field and chase him, it will outrun you, and dig a hole and bury itself before you get to it. All but it's tail. It never gets it's tail buried. AND, you can not pull it out by it's tail. It will bury it's claws in the dirt. But, if you'll grab it by the tail, and rub a stick across it's ass..It will back out.

Never ending source of information. I bet you can't find that info online!
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 03:43:12 PM »

Hey gang, I just got off the phone with Big Ed. He was transferred to a room from the ICU this morning. He's one hurting puppy right now. He broke 6 ribs, 3 thru 8 on the right side, and broke his left wrist. He hit one deer at 80, and as that was occurring, another came back and ran into him, right at his ribcage. He said he laid there for about 45 minutes because he couldn't move. About 100 cars had gone past, but no one saw him in the ditch. Finally he bit the bullet and searched for his phone. His leather and helmet saved his life. This is one big strong boy, who always wears his lid. It's got me considering my past riding practices about wearing a helmet.

That aside, it was great hearing his voice. He sounded like he was hurting bad, but was still in generally good spirits. He's glad he's not dead, and so are we! Trish, his wife, is now doing OK to, knowing Ed will be fine. she was pretty shaken by this also, as she rides with him a lot. It makes us all realize how vulnerable we are. I try not to think about it, but when it hits close to home, you can't help but thinking about it. Ed is one fine rider, and I'm sure there was no way of avoiding this. I'm just happy he's still sucking air and walking, and knowing that he'll make a full recovery!

Feel better Ed! Binx and my thoughts are with you and Trish always! Should you need anything at all, we're there for you brother. Just get that big ass of yours better soon and back in the wind! We love you and hope to see you guys soon. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Binx

• Hoist's BSR
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 03:56:25 PM »

Hey gang, I just got off the phone with Big Ed. He was transferred to a room from the ICU this morning. He's one hurting puppy right now. He broke 6 ribs, 3 thru 8 on the right side, and broke his left wrist. He hit one deer at 80, and as that was occurring, another came back and ran into him, right at his ribcage. He said he laid there for about 45 minutes because he couldn't move. About 100 cars had gone past, but no one saw him in the ditch. Finally he bit the bullet and searched for his phone. His leather and helmet saved his life. This is one big strong boy, who always wears his lid. It's got me considering my past riding practices about wearing a helmet.

That aside, it was great hearing his voice. He sounded like he was hurting bad, but was still in generally good spirits. He's glad he's not dead, and so are we! Trish, his wife, is now doing OK to, knowing Ed will be fine. she was pretty shaken by this also, as she rides with him a lot. It makes us all realize how vulnerable we are. I try not to think about it, but when it hits close to home, you can't help but thinking about it. Ed is one fine rider, and I'm sure there was no way of avoiding this. I'm just happy he's still sucking air and walking, and knowing that he'll make a full recovery!

Feel better Ed! Binx and my thoughts are with you and Trish always! Should you need anything at all, we're there for you brother. Just get that big ass of yours better soon and back in the wind! We love you and hope to see you guys soon. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

I couldn't have said it better myself. WE LOVE YOU ED AND TRISH! Anything you need, just call on us. Ed, get bettter soon...get those ribs better so I can hug ya hard when I see you. xoxo   :love_1:
wut?

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 05:25:39 PM »

Dress to ride and live to ride another day - Glad he is on the mend  and wishing him a speedy recovery, It just goes to show you that you will never see it comming that's why they call them accidents. We meet Ed & Trish in Hot springs look like he can get that rode glide afer all.

God speed ED  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 05:27:31 PM by VAZHOG »

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 10:06:57 AM »

just did a search for motorcycle deer whistle.  Here is one called a Hornet.  It's not air driven so it works at low speeds also.  There is also a chrome fork mount bracket from a different company that fits HDs.  Does anyone have this set up?  Any opinions?

http://www.homeproductsnmore.com/Deer_Whistle_Mounting_Clamp_p/pc4024.htm

http://www.ridesafer.com/product_p/hnt120-bc.htm
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 10:48:31 AM »

just did a search for motorcycle deer whistle.  Here is one called a Hornet.  It's not air driven so it works at low speeds also.  There is also a chrome fork mount bracket from a different company that fits HDs.  Does anyone have this set up?  Any opinions?

http://www.homeproductsnmore.com/Deer_Whistle_Mounting_Clamp_p/pc4024.htm

http://www.ridesafer.com/product_p/hnt120-bc.htm

Deer Whistles are BS , Buy'em if they make you feel better but no proof exist that they work, they only make you sit lower in the seat from having less money in your wallet.

He was doing 80MPH - ON an HD the Deer Heard something (HIM) they have the same hearing as a human ( I can't hear a deer whisle either or a deer sing for that matter). That's why they were  stopped standing in the middle of the road!

When Deer Hear or see something (Head lights) they pause and at 80 you don't have to pause long to get hit.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 11:33:15 AM »

Deer Whistles are BS , Buy'em if they make you feel better but no proof exist that they work, they only make you sit lower in the seat from having less money in your wallet.

He was doing 80MPH - ON an HD the Deer Heard something (HIM) they have the same hearing as a human ( I can't hear a deer whisle either or a deer sing for that matter). That's why they were  stopped standing in the middle of the road!

When Deer Hear or see something (Head lights) they pause and at 80 you don't have to pause long to get hit.

Wayne

"Deer Whistles are BS", now that cuts right down to it. I have thought the same way myself, but then someone is  going to say "no proof that they don't work." To that I say, buy one and put it on.

It does make me nervous when the woods are close and the road is dark.
Wayne, you got any suggestions?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 04:07:55 PM »

Wayne

"Deer Whistles are BS", now that cuts right down to it. I have thought the same way myself, but then someone is  going to say "no proof that they don't work." To that I say, buy one and put it on.

It does make me nervous when the woods are close and the road is dark.
Wayne, you got any suggestions?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

I don't know why with your truck and trailer you should be able to smash'em  ;D

1. Slow Down
2. Check your local hunting laws (season and types)* allowed.

Here in VA  some Counties allow Hunting of deer with DOGS meaning they chase them and that will have a deer run out and over you even before you see it. (Crazied ) No Afermarket product will save you.

I could say I have Elephant whistles on my bike that's why I have not hit one - Untill someone proves they don't work why not add one to your bike just in case.

I said " Buy if you want to"

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 04:11:07 PM by VAZHOG »

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 04:33:58 PM »

I don't know why with your truck and trailer you should be able to smash'em  ;D...
Here in VA  some Counties allow Hunting of deer with DOGS meaning they chase them and that will have a deer run out and over you even before you see it. (Crazed ) No Aftermarket product will save you.

I could say I have Elephant whistles on my bike that's why I have not hit one - Until someone proves they don't work why not add one to your bike just in case....
Wayne, you are pretty funny - ya know that Chip and Nancy actually do ride their bikes sometimes and don't just trailer them. 

Even if ya hit a deer with a truck, the end result is not going to be pretty.

Re the dogs chasing deer - the deer are crazed and come out of bushes just scrambling, literally running for their lives. It is kinda sad. 

Another problem with the dogs, is that they too come out of the bush on a trail of something and they don't have any common sense either.  I have seen a whole lotta dogs out this way that you end up trying to dodge as they run across, up and down the road on a scent. 

Any animal that is bigger than I can eat at one sitting is too big for me to want to hit with my bike.  What kinda whistle can you buy to cover all varmints bigger than that?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 21 queries.