Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aldan air shock install difficulty  (Read 1396 times)

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Aldan air shock install difficulty
« on: August 08, 2008, 02:36:20 PM »

For those of you that installed the aldan air shocks from arnott how would you rate the difficulty from a scale of 1-10. Went to a local shop here & took directions & they quoted me 4-5 hrs to install....

1-  easiest

10- hardest
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Aldan air shock install difficulty
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 10:23:03 AM »

The install shoulds take about 2.5 hours. On California bikes a bit longer to due the need to removal of the charcoal canister under the battery box.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 10:14:53 PM »

For those of you that installed the aldan air shocks from arnott how would you rate the difficulty from a scale of 1-10. Went to a local shop here & took directions & they quoted me 4-5 hrs to install....

1-  easiest

10- hardest

Took me about 3 to 3.5 hours.
And worth every minute!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 11:25:31 PM »

The install shoulds take about 2.5 hours. On California bikes a bit longer to due the need to removal of the charcoal canister under the battery box.

Jim,
Installed Soozie's two weeks ago and it was around 2.5 hours!

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 01:54:16 AM »

I would rate the difficulty of the install as a 2 or 3. It took me maybe 4 hours and would have taken less time except the first compressor didn't have the right bracket on it for the 09's. I ended up straightening out and re-bending the bracket so it fit in the space properly only to have the compressor be defective as soon as I tested it. The 2nd compressor had the correct bracket and slipped into place easily and has worked perfectly.

If you have any mechanical and wiring knowledge you will be able to figure everything out fairly easily to install the Arnott Aldan air shocks. I have not worked on my own bikes in the past and I have performed almost all of the work on my 09' SERG since day 1. The only 2 things that I did not do myself was install the chrome inner primary and replace the handlebars. While the dealership was installing the handlebars, they found out that the hydraulic clutch cable was about 1/2" short even after re-routing the cable. Since there was not a exact (cable color) match for the hydraulic clutch cable, I am having both the hydraulic clutch cable and brake cable replaced so the color of the cables is an exact match. I would not have been able to perform the work associated with the ABS brakes, replacing the brake cable and replacing the hydraulic clutch so I am glad that I took it to the dealership for these 2 projects.

Sorry, I got off the subject a bit. The job of installing the Alden air shocks yourself is not difficult. and there is a sense of accomplishment that I get when I do the work myself. Also, if you don't already own a motorcycle service lift I recommend that you purchase one as it will make the job of taking the shocks off and installing the new ones simple. The motorcycle service lift (jack) comes in handy for working on your bike and many other uses including washing the bike, polishing chrome and cleaning the wheels.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 12:11:42 PM »

I would rate the difficulty of the install as a 2 or 3. It took me maybe 4 hours and would have taken less time except the first compressor didn't have the right bracket on it for the 09's. I ended up straightening out and re-bending the bracket so it fit in the space properly only to have the compressor be defective as soon as I tested it. The 2nd compressor had the correct bracket and slipped into place easily and has worked perfectly.

If you have any mechanical and wiring knowledge you will be able to figure everything out fairly easily to install the Arnott Aldan air shocks. I have not worked on my own bikes in the past and I have performed almost all of the work on my 09' SERG since day 1. The only 2 things that I did not do myself was install the chrome inner primary and replace the handlebars. While the dealership was installing the handlebars, they found out that the hydraulic clutch cable was about 1/2" short even after re-routing the cable. Since there was not a exact (cable color) match for the hydraulic clutch cable, I am having both the hydraulic clutch cable and brake cable replaced so the color of the cables is an exact match. I would not have been able to perform the work associated with the ABS brakes, replacing the brake cable and replacing the hydraulic clutch so I am glad that I took it to the dealership for these 2 projects.

Sorry, I got off the subject a bit. The job of installing the Alden air shocks yourself is not difficult. and there is a sense of accomplishment that I get when I do the work myself. Also, if you don't already own a motorcycle service lift I recommend that you purchase one as it will make the job of taking the shocks off and installing the new ones simple. The motorcycle service lift (jack) comes in handy for working on your bike and many other uses including washing the bike, polishing chrome and cleaning the wheels.

It's a great sense of accomplishment doing all of your own work, isn't it!  Great job!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.