Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Metzler Tires on SERK3  (Read 4691 times)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
Metzler Tires on SERK3
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:16:40 PM »

I am thinking on using Metzler tires .. I see that the load rateing is about 783 #  for the rear.  I ride solo 99 % of the time . Does anyone know if this might be a problem   Thanks Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
Re: Metzler Tires on SERK3
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:34:02 PM »

I am thinking on using Metzler tires .. I see that the load rateing is about 783 #  for the rear.  I ride solo 99 % of the time . Does anyone know if this might be a problem   Thanks Billy

No problemo I am on my second set with my SERK and I was 80-20 solo and the Metzlers worked fine. I really appreciate how "sticky" they are for wet riding here in Seattle.

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 11:09:06 PM »

No problemo I am on my second set with my SERK and I was 80-20 solo and the Metzlers worked fine. I really appreciate how "sticky" they are for wet riding here in Seattle.

Billy, start reading! there's more than meets the eye!!! ;)

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=22799.msg366718#msg366718

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 05:55:39 PM »

Billy, start reading! there's more than meets the eye!!! ;)

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=22799.msg366718#msg366718

Hoist! 8)

Howie,

Got to tell you, reading informs me and confuses me equally. What's the bottom line on the new tires for my SERK4? I'm always grateful for the insight, but homework has failed me with the answer.

Mike K.
kona76
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 07:30:18 PM »

Howie,

Got to tell you, reading informs me and confuses me equally. What's the bottom line on the new tires for my SERK4? I'm always grateful for the insight, but homework has failed me with the answer.

Mike K.
kona76

Mike, from what I've gathered, get an E3 Dunlop Radial aftermarket from any Dunlop dealer, and use the HD Dunlop rear for the SERK. That's what came stock on my bike and I liked it much better than the POS D407 that came on your bike, which is the only one they sell now. HD discontinued using the '07 E3 tire for some reason. Bike handled and rode better with it! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 05:22:42 AM »

Mike, from what I've gathered, get an E3 Dunlop Radial aftermarket from any Dunlop dealer, and use the HD Dunlop rear for the SERK. That's what came stock on my bike and I liked it much better than the POS D407 that came on your bike, which is the only one they sell now. HD discontinued using the '07 E3 tire for some reason. Bike handled and rode better with it! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Howie, Thanks. I have been dwelling over a cupping issue since early summer, wanted to go to my normal tire mfg. Metzler and got stuck on stupid. No straight answers from anybody except "I don't know, Not sure why exactly, and stick with the original tires, how bad could that be?".

I just want things my way, is that too much to ask?

Thanks for the update, my friend.

Mike K.
kona76
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 08:42:17 AM »

Howie, Thanks. I have been dwelling over a cupping issue since early summer, wanted to go to my normal tire mfg. Metzler and got stuck on stupid. No straight answers from anybody except "I don't know, Not sure why exactly, and stick with the original tires, how bad could that be?".

I just want things my way, is that too much to ask?

Thanks for the update, my friend.

Mike K.
kona76

Problem with Metzler is weight rating. I don't really want to put lower weight rated tires on. Been on the fence about it to try the Metzlers too, but not comfortable giving up weight rating yet, since I travel on Cybil pretty loaded up most of the time. The E3 front and HD Dunlop rear isn't a bad combo though. So I'll run that til the E3 front is no longer available, or there's something else that is! ;)

Hoist!

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 09:03:05 AM »

Hoist or anyone..is it possible Metzler will ever come out with the correct tires we need, wieght ratio and all??
Dean

COPPERTOP

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 05:08:52 PM »

Hoist or anyone..is it possible Metzler will ever come out with the correct tires we need, wieght ratio and all??
Dean
I put metzeler radials the same size as the 407's and am very happy with the
ride.... Just hope they last longer than the 10k that I got out of the dunlaps.   

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 06:44:37 PM »

what about the weight rating on the rear tire...I understand the rear Metz is rated for less weight?
Dean

COPPERTOP

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 05:45:27 PM »

what about the weight rating on the rear tire...I understand the rear Metz is rated for less weight?
Dean
There is a couple hundred lbs. difference in the load rating, but I don't think
that it will be a problem for me. Riding two up me and the wife are under 300lbs. I did
not want to put another set of dunlaps on and only get 8k to 10k out of them. Maybe
the metz at least on the front will last longer.
coppertop 

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 07:05:23 PM »

that it will be a problem for me. Riding two up me and the wife are under 300lbs. I did
not want to put another set of dunlaps on and only get 8k to 10k out of them. Maybe
coppertop 

I'll be very interested to hear how they wear, and if the lower load rating will affect the mileage. I guess it shouldn't if ya don't overload them. Good luck with them CT, I think you're the first! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 09:16:37 PM »

coppertop 
  i have 20,000 on the front E3 and 15,000 on the rear still have good tread but will change this month. Not sure what but the rear Dunlop cups after 5000 miles they replacedit the first time but not the second Tired of the growl when I turn. I will try Metzlers next
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 01:27:55 PM »

I replaced the tires that came on my 07 with the new E3's and cannot tell a bit of difference in ride or the handling, will have to wait and see if i can get the same amount of mileage on the new E3's. I wanted the metzler's as well but unless they have come out with something new one is a R and one is a bias ply and i'm not going to mix the two.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »

I am anxious to put the Metzlers on my 08 SERK, the Dunlops are terrible, between the cupping and replacing at 8-10k..  I ride 1 up 99.9% of the time, weigh 185 , I don't see any downside. Can you guys confirm that the correct Metzler match up for the front is 130/70 HR 18 load rating 63H and the rear is 170/60 VR 17 (not sure about the load rating, but know its less)..and these are the ME 880 marathon tires ???  I called a tire distributor and they said Honda uses them on their Goldwing, which is a pretty heavy bike. Hate to beat the tire issue to death, but wanna make sure I am not making a big mistake, Thanks for your input gang.
Dean
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.