Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 21" front rim performance  (Read 7777 times)

Babkis

• CVO1: Krypto
21" front rim performance
« on: October 08, 2008, 05:22:35 PM »

Some of you guys already went with the flow, and are riding on 21" front rims. Could you spare a moment and let us know how did it change the ride characteristics. Could you mention what ruber you have on them.
Thanx
I am thinking of putting these babies on:  http://www.renegadewheels.com/Wheel_Page_2008/MP_Cheyenne/MP_Cheyenne.htm
What do you think?

"No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be true." Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804 - 1864)

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
Re: 21" front rim performance
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 08:52:01 PM »

The rim in your link is very un-CVO. I don't care for it, but it's your bike.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 08:57:02 PM »

I put 18s on and saw no deference in handling I would think 21s would be about the same. Just my openion but those wheels don't seem to fit the style of your bike unless you do a lot of other changes. :nixweiss:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

MikeD

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 09:15:04 PM »

Some of you guys already went with the flow, and are riding on 21" front rims. Could you spare a moment and let us know how did it change the ride characteristics. Could you mention what ruber you have on them.
Thanx
I am thinking of putting these babies on:  http://www.renegadewheels.com/Wheel_Page_2008/MP_Cheyenne/MP_Cheyenne.htm
What do you think?

I went to the 21" for my SEEG, it was another reason why I bought a SERG with an 18".  The 21" looks great on the bike, it handles good, and makes the front end feel lighter.  However, my suspension after that was rough.  Not to mention, I ride mine in the Georgia Mtns and sometimes Tennessee Mtns two up.  You have a 6 or 700 lbs bike with a 21" on the front, the reduced contact patch played with my head.  I wouldn't take corners as hard.  Now, I go pushing the bike, a lot faster than the SEEG.   I would recommend a 18", the bike is set up for the 18" and not to mention the fender is already slammed on the front tire, you would have to modify it to accommodate the 21".  I'm not going to knock the style of rim you chose, I like it, would I do it, no.  But I'm done with large mods like that on bikes.  Thats why I went back to a CVO, it's got everything, and I love the SERG the way it came to me, except for the exhaust.  Oh yea and the windshield, speakers, I'm sure they'll be more later.

Here's a pic of my old SEEG.  I had a Renegade South Beach front and rear with Metzlers and matching rotors.

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ULTRA
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 07:41:35 PM »

There is some issue with load capacity  of a 21 inch tire on a bagger due to the weight of the fairing and electronics stuffed into the front end. There are additional issues with side force and breaking due to the limited contact patch of the smaller tire. Additionally most tire makers will not provide or honor any warranty for 21 inch tires when used on a bagger for this reason. there are numerous articles by Metzler concerning this issue as this is becoming a much more popular swap for aesthetic reasons.  You may want to contact them for their input prior to making the change....

glideowner

• Black Cherry on top
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 09:07:46 AM »

I would say that if there is a contact patch issue you would have to go with the best traction tire out there which is probably the avon's. may not get the mileage out of them like the metzler, but the traction is definately there. I love the metzlers on my fatboy and they hold up well. When I ran avon's whick looked awesome,and handled great I was going through them on th rear. The new roadglide has 21"wheel on the front and I love it. Throw it around like a dirtbike with the 200 MM on the back,but after reading this I fear the mental thing may come in to play :'(   Hope not. never posed a problem before. 21's sure do look cock though.
We are eternal and all this pain is an illusion

glideowner

• Black Cherry on top
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 09:11:18 AM »

I would say that if there is a contact patch issue you would have to go with the best traction tire out there which is probably the avon's. may not get the mileage out of them like the metzler, but the traction is definately there. I love the metzlers on my fatboy and they hold up well. When I ran avon's whick looked awesome,and handled great I was going through them on th rear. The new roadglide has 21"wheel on the front and I love it. Throw it around like a dirtbike with the 200 MM on the back,but after reading this I fear the mental thing may come in to play :'(   Hope not. never posed a problem before. 21's sure do look cock though.
And I have to add many people are taking off the right side caliper,and rotor for a wide open look. I would have to stay with the braking power on this one.
We are eternal and all this pain is an illusion

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 SERK
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 10:48:06 PM »

Went with Covington Custom Wheels when the stock wheel chrome crapped out. The 21" is more responsive and feels better. I also went with the Traxxion cartridges, True Track, & Legends Air shocks. Very happy with results.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 11:05:07 PM »

Went with Covington Custom Wheels when the stock wheel chrome crapped out. The 21" is more responsive and feels better. I also went with the Traxxion cartridges, True Track, & Legends Air shocks. Very happy with results.

You've made some great choices!   :2vrolijk_21:   Your bike looks fantastic! 
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 11:20:35 PM »

Maxine sure looks sexy Rooster! Really great job! Beautiful bike man!!! :2vrolijk_21: :drink: :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 10:36:59 AM »

Many thanks to you guys for your input. I've learned a lot. Just waiting for the stretched bags, tour pak, and dead center fairing coming from Gene & Pam and will post more pictures when she's got more clothes on!

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 09:52:50 PM »

This was a rear shot of the dry run just setting the bags and fairing on her......
Not quit done yet but will do more pictures when she's done!

MikeD

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 07:37:03 PM »

This was a rear shot of the dry run just setting the bags and fairing on her......
Not quit done yet but will do more pictures when she's done!

Let me know how the bottom of the bags do on the corners, my buddy f-ed his up last weekend on a ride.

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 11:09:07 PM »

That's why I switched to Legends to pump up the rear for clearence....... Just trying to think ahead

MikeD

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 07:09:14 AM »

That's why I switched to Legends to pump up the rear for clearence....... Just trying to think ahead

Good thinking Rooster!  Attack the problem before it happens! :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 21 queries.