Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Aftermarket ignition systems  (Read 35579 times)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Aftermarket ignition systems
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2008, 12:03:37 PM »

I had about settled on the Daytona Twin Tec package deal but after doing some more research I find that it's not as "plug and play" as I had initially believed.  Apparently, in order to get a single-fire system out of any of these units, Daytona, Crane, whoever, one must run some additional wires from the new ignition module.  One wire to the coil and one wire to the tachometer.

you will have 4 wires coming from your new sensor plate ign module IF you are going to run a 'single' coil that is 'single fire'
You will have:
1) one that goes to the voes
2) one that goes the the front cylinder post of the coil the + side
3) two that goes to the rear cylinder post of the coil the - side
4) Then you will also have one more, but this one doesn't come from the ign module but is your tach adapter ...  that goes to the center post of the coil

well, that is if you get the same kit that I did  :D

The Daytona unit tells the owner to disconnect the pink wire at the tach and replace it with a wire directly to the new ignition module.

I just traced it back and accessed it from the harness and spliced into it

On my bike, that would mean probably cutting the wire behind the tach, since it's bundled with about 7 more wires in a group plastic plug--apparently one that can't be dismantled.  I don't like cutting (permanently) factory wiring,, plus I'd have to remove the tank to run the wire (preferably) along the existing backbone wiring harness.

you definitely have to remove the tank to do this job ... you have to have access to the harness, and it's strapped to the frames backbone under the tank.   :(

Not sure how else I'd get it from the side cover to the tach without it being scabbed on somewhere..   The other new wire would go from the new module to the coil.  Both would have to be run independently and at least a bit hard to conceal or look "factory". 

In order to keep it as neat as I thought I could, I just spliced into the harness right beside the stock ign module. That way I only had to run wires from the nose cone to the side cover. And that is EXACTLY the same route that the stock wires run. Once spliced into the harness there, the wires are already over to the coil for you.

So, to particularly FXR4mikey and Howie, how were these additional wires done on your bikes?  I know Mikey has a seperate additional module on his coil to correct the tach--frankly I like that idea a lot better than cutting my wires and running new ones.  Daytona, for one, doesn't mention those, but I figure I could use one with their units.
Daytona, for one, doesn't mention those, but I figure I could use one with their units.
NOTE: Dyna tach adapters ARE NOT compatible with Compu-Fire modules and must not be used with the Compu-Fire module.
I DO NOT KNOW if you can use the Compu-Fire tach adapters with the Dyna ignition module

What I really want is single-fire ignition that's truly "plug and play".  That is, remove the factory module/coil/sensor plate, whatever, install the new ones and ride.  Now new wires to fiddle with.  But I suppose the hard wiring of the Evo bikes don't permit that?

it really isn't setup to facilitate 'true plug and play'
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 07:40:10 AM by fxr4mikey »
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

RedFXR2

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2008, 12:38:10 PM »

Mikey, thanks very much for far more effort than I would ever have knowingly asked.  I really appreciate it.  Fantastic tutorial. :2vrolijk_21:

I still have to mull this over.  See, I already have a SE ignition module, SE coil, and SE plug wires.  The SE module provides a more aggressive timing curve ....

[edit to add]  I stand corrected.  I looked up my SE module on the HD website and apparently all it changes over stock is the rev limit:

Screamin' Eagle® Street Legal Performance Ignition Modules

These street legal modules increase the rev limit of the stock module while maintaining the low-and-mid range precision of Original Equipment ignition curves.

32630-96

6000 RPM

....and incresed rev limit to 6000RPM.  The SE coil is 40,000 volts, and the SE wires supposedly handle the increased voltage.  So you see, I already have much that an aftermarket ignition system would provide, except that mine is still dual fire with a stock advance curve.  My decision is this:  Is a single-fire version of what I mostly already have in dual fire mode, worth it in parts $$ and my own labor?

One of the further articles I read about dual-fire vs single-fire mentioned that a rider won't much feel any difference until higher RPM's (How high?  Didn't give any numbers) where single-fire offers an advantage.  This article also mentioned that single-fire systems effectively reduce or eliminate backfiring on downshift--I've never had any backfiring on my bike.

Obviously, there is much more to installing one of these things than I had initially believed, and I'm not that comfortable messing with electrical stuff except to directly replace it.  I've run wiring and relays for aftermarket lighting on cars for years, but that stuff doesn't keep the car from running like messing up the ignition system would.

Care to speculate:  If you had what I presently have in terms of module/coil/wires in dual fire, would you still have installed your Compu-Fire system?  Do you ever use the rotor switches to change the advance curve/rev limit for any reason or does it always stay where you set it?  I could stick with dual-fire and install only one of the aftermarket "external" modules--that would be a plug and play swap with my existiing module, no extra wires, providing a more aggressive timing curve.  Wonder if that alone would be worth it?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 12:55:33 PM by RedFXR2 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2008, 12:44:28 PM »

Mike, mine was very simple. I had hd-dude (Jim) install it while my bike was still in CA! ;D

Not sure what went into setting it up and wiring the Dyna Single Fire. Maybe Jim will see this and shed some light. But send him a PM and he should be easily be able to help ya out with this. Jim's a great guy and always willing to help us. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2008, 01:20:44 PM »

Mike, mine was very simple. I had hd-dude (Jim) install it while my bike was still in CA! ;D

Not sure what went into setting it up and wiring the Dyna Single Fire. Maybe Jim will see this and shed some light. But send him a PM and he should be easily be able to help ya out with this. Jim's a great guy and always willing to help us. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Have you picked out our souvenirs yet :nixweiss: ?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2008, 01:29:33 PM »

Have you picked out our souvenirs yet :nixweiss: ?

BwaaHaaaHaaa!!! No Don, not yet. I'm still here! ;D ;D ;D

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2008, 04:23:48 PM »

Mikey, thanks very much for far more effort than I would ever have knowingly asked.  I really appreciate it.  Fantastic tutorial. :2vrolijk_21:
You're Welcome !  I'm glad that it was helpful

I still have to mull this over.  See, I already have a SE ignition module, SE coil, and SE plug wires.  The SE module provides a more aggressive timing curve ....
[edit to add]  I stand corrected.  I looked up my SE module on the HD website and apparently all it changes over stock is the rev limit:
Screamin' Eagle® Street Legal Performance Ignition Modules
These street legal modules increase the rev limit of the stock module while maintaining the low-and-mid range precision of Original Equipment ignition curves.
32630-96
6000 RPM

....and incresed rev limit to 6000RPM.  The SE coil is 40,000 volts, and the SE wires supposedly handle the increased voltage.  So you see, I already have much that an aftermarket ignition system would provide, except that mine is still dual fire with a stock advance curve.  My decision is this:  Is a single-fire version of what I mostly already have in dual fire mode, worth it in parts $$ and my own labor?
You ask all the hard questions  LOL
I only have experience with the Compu-Fire ign ..... so you might have to research this for the other brands.
The Compu-Fire module has a rotary dial that can be set to work with a DUAL FIRE COIL, OR  A SINGLE FIRE COIL
So you could install this and run it with your SE Dual Fire Coil and plug wires (I have the SE plug wires also)
Is it worth it ......... well, in my opinion, and from things that I've read about ignition systems, you will definately produce more power by having more choices about what timing curve to run. So having an adjustable timing curve will make you smile more  :D

One of the further articles I read about dual-fire vs single-fire mentioned that a rider won't much feel any difference until higher RPM's (How high?  Didn't give any numbers) where single-fire offers an advantage.  This article also mentioned that single-fire systems effectively reduce or eliminate backfiring on downshift--I've never had any backfiring on my bike.
I've not read anything about backfiring on down shifting  ...
Single fire does seem to make the bike start easier
Having it connected up to the voes helps to retard the spark when the engine is under heavy load
Having the option to adjust the curve to advance it as soon as possible in the RPM range and advance it as much as possible will have the bike producing more power, and doing it sooner ini the rpm range.  The theory also goes that single fire reduces vibration, but I can't say that I really noticed that.

Obviously, there is much more to installing one of these things than I had initially believed, and I'm not that comfortable messing with electrical stuff except to directly replace it.  I've run wiring and relays for aftermarket lighting on cars for years, but that stuff doesn't keep the car from running like messing up the ignition system would.
It's not that hard, take your time, double check your work to make sure you have the correct wires when splicing. Refer OFTEN to the installation instructions and the wiring diagram for your bike. If you don't have an ohm meter, get one, they are not expensive and you can pick one up at Lowe's as an example.
Care to speculate:  If you had what I presently have in terms of module/coil/wires in dual fire, would you still have installed your Compu-Fire system?
I would, yes.  I may, or may not, change the coil to single fire. But FOR SURE I would put in an adjustable ign module so that I could advance the curve.
It's not only that the curve advances the timing, but that it does so earlier in the rpm range than stock, it advances further than the stock module, and here's the kicker ..... it DOES NOT RETARD the advance once you get into the 4200 rpm range.  The stock ign systems begin to retard the advance curve at about 4200, and the higher you rev, the more they retard the advance. This STOPS your bike from producing max power, and actually continues to reduce power as you push to the limits of the rpm range.   WHY?  emissions controls.

Do you ever use the rotor switches to change the advance curve/rev limit for any reason or does it always stay where you set it? 

I have not changed the settings from the day that I installed and adjusted it back in June of this year.  I will have to go through the adjustment process again after I change my cam and heads and pipes.  But once I get it tuned in it will stay there ..... until I take it to be dyno'ed

I could stick with dual-fire and install only one of the aftermarket "external" modules--that would be a plug and play swap with my existiing module, no extra wires, providing a more aggressive timing curve.  Wonder if that alone would be worth it?
I'm sure that you will notice a difference with a adjustable ign system, even if you run it in dual fire mode.

Best of luck in your decision, not that you need it ......  I'm sure you'll make the right decision ..... just get a module that can be set to either run Dual Fire or Single Fire ....... try it in dual fire, later if you think that you'd like to try the single fire, just change the setting on the module, change the coil and re-adjust.
OH, BTW, if you put one of these in.  WHENEVER you adjust the settings on the module.  BE SURE TO SHUT OFF THE IGNITION ..... reason is that the settings of the module are read at the time the switch is turned on and is not re-read.  So in order for the new settings to take effect the ignition must be shut off
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 07:45:44 AM by fxr4mikey »
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2008, 04:25:20 PM »

here's an interesting read, kinda short, with pics, about getting more HP from your bike by switching to single fire and adj ign system.
While it's not a Harley, the results I believe are typical

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0202hb_ignition_timing/index.html
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

RedFXR2

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2008, 08:35:25 PM »

....just get a module that can be set to either run Dual Fire or Single Fire ....... try it in dual fire, later if you think that you'd like to try the single fire, just change the setting on the module, change the coil and re-adjust.

This sounds like a good summation of what I will be deciding on.

Mikey:  Thanks for an amazing amount of time and effort on your part.   :2vrolijk_21: :drink:

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2008, 07:48:50 AM »

This sounds like a good summation of what I will be deciding on.

Mikey:  Thanks for an amazing amount of time and effort on your part.   :2vrolijk_21: :drink:

Mike,
You're Welcome !

Please keep us informed as to what you decided to do.  If/When you make your changes let us know what you think afterwards. THANKS !!

Mikey
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

RedFXR2

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2008, 10:15:40 AM »

Well, frankly the more I dig into this the more I question the worth of the whole exercise.  Here's some stuff I've found that's not really negative but it, as I said, questions the thinking and the functional worth of the functions and capabilities of most aftermarket ignitions.  And these guys and their sources aren't selling anything, by the way.

Single fire vs. Dual fire Ignition Systems

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdignitionmodules.htm

[The nightrider website ( a great source of info for Evo stuff)  won't let me copy directly, but you can read it for yourself.  He basically questions the worth of single-fire over dual-fire.]

Here, nightrider specifically praises the SE module, which is what I already have, among several aftermarket units tested:

Screamin’ Eagle ignition modules

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdseignition.htm

A quote:  “We highly recommend the use of this module on stock and mildly modified bikes.  The cost of this module is low and the performance is excellent.”

And fiinally from the book 101 Harley Davidson Performance Projects For Evolution Big Twins and Sportsters I copied these passages verbatim as it explains timing in Evolution engines.  It lends credence to keeping the standard advance curves and explains why even aftermarket curves are pretty much the same as stock HD.  It also points out the negative side of running hotter timing for extended periods (heat).

“Ignition advance generally starts at some small amount, say 5 to 10 degrees, then increases with engine speed, the idea being that as turbulence in the combustion chamber increase with speed, it affects the amount of time available for burning the fuel-air charge.  At some speed, generally 2500-3000 rpm in an Evo engine, this turbulence offsets the burn time.  At that point, the spark advance required becomes nearly constant, up to the highest engine speed.”

“Proper timing helps ensure optimum fuel mileage and a lack of fuel ‘fussiness’ and it’s attendant pinging and dieseling, and last but not least, the engine runs cooler and therefore lasts longer.  It’s almost an axiom that an advance in timing may help power a little, but it will increase heat a whole lot, which is not a great tradeoff in an air-cooled engine.  Wouldn’t you trade a tenth or two at the strip for 20,000 more miles on the road?”

“Even aftermarket ignitions with adjustable curves tend to go along with the factory recommendation for maximum ignition timing.”

Another chapter in this same book deals with selecting a high performance factory ignition  module.  I had no idea that HD made so many over the years--there's a whole chart by part number, advance curve by letter designation and part numbr.  I have the Screaming Eagle module 32630-96 with a "P" curve.  According to the book "No graph is available for this latest module (formerly HDI).  [HDI is HD International].  Harley's position on this is pretty clear from this statement dated 4/16/97: 'That information is considered to be confidential.  Although it may have been given out in the past, we have since taken a new position of protectiing that in formation'  That said, the new module, fitted to 1996 and newer 1340 models, worked better than the earlier stock module."

I have no idea what to make of the alleged HD refusal to state the curve (EPA trouble maybe?), but the writers seem to believe it works better than stock.

Moving on in the book to the next chapter dealing with aftermarket ignition systems, the author first sums up the stock system and says that the first priority upgrade would be going to a 40,000 volt coil in dual-fire mode.  [I've already got a SE 40,000 volt coil.]  Reading on, he talks about single-fire:

"The biggest performance advantage to single-fire is probably not the fact that each cylinder gets its own individual spark, so much as the ability to set the timing optimally for each cylinder....easier starting, crisper throttle response.....Whether or not there is a power increase accompanying these benefits is subject to some debate.  If there is, you can be it comes from proper ignition timing."

I can set the timing with a strobe and get it dead on the factory mark.  Rear cylinder?  Who knows?  Maybe it varies by a few degrees.  Sure does run fine, regardless.

So, to this point, I'm having more and more trouble thinking this project is worth doing, to me anyway.  Obviously there are those who are happy with the results and that's fine.  But for the the type of cruising I do, with the occasional burst of hot rodding, I just don't see the positives outweighing the cost and the negatives.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:06:55 PM by RedFXR2 »

MrFeexit

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2009, 09:02:26 AM »

WHEW!!!! MY EYEBALLS HURT!!!! I just read all of this. WOW. Thanks to all of you who took the time to share your expertise and experience. After reading this it really ends up being a "what do I want?" type of issue. The guy at the cycle shop put it to me like this. Switching to a single fire isn't likely to WOW you at first...you wont really notice, but after awhile if you took it away then you would really notice. At this point I am looking for long term reliability with a good power band. Not looking to race anyone but want to get up and go when I hit the freeway. Thanks to all of your efforts I can now say... I have a headache :knife:...BUT, I think I still would like to switch over to a single fire system.
1987 FXRC, 1995 FLSTC

RedFXR2

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2009, 10:48:47 AM »

I can relate--trying to decide yes or no on this gave me a headache. :)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2009, 07:01:16 PM »

it didn't make my head hurt at all .....

it's just like CAMS !!!    EVERYONE has an opinion about what cam you should be running .... and on and on .....

some of the 'experts' say that single fire makes no difference, then there's the 'other experts' that disagree with those experts .....

I decided that for me, my belief is that it makes a difference.  I put it on my bike, I like it, I'm VERY HAPPY with it

I have NO reliability issues with my bike.  I have over 12K miles with that Compu-Fire single fire ignition.  And don't think for a minute that those are close to home miles.
I live in SC .... In 08 I rode from here to ND, LA, AL, AR, OK, IL, MI, GA ...... then I was home for 3 weeks and rode from here to the UP in MI and went all the way around Lake MI, across the UP back home again ............   any problems with the bike   NO, NOTA, NONE !!!   I'm still smiling  ;D 

I wouldn't hesitate to jump on my bike and take off on a trip to circumnavigate around the entire lower 48 ............ now that would be an awesome ride !!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

MrFeexit

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2009, 07:45:23 PM »

Well if you ever hit Wisconsin...like for the Tomahawk Harley Rally...you are welcome to crash here!
1987 FXRC, 1995 FLSTC

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »

Hi,
 My guestion is if I order an Screaming Eagle Dual Fire Ignition Module with stock coil. What part number do I use?  I know the connectors on a 2000 FXR4 are not same as a 2000 Dyna. There are on returns on electrical parts or special order stuff. Do I order for FXR in general?
Thanks,
Ltank
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 21 queries.