Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Check those bolts.  (Read 1382 times)

RedFXR2

Check those bolts.
« on: December 02, 2008, 09:02:46 AM »

Just a friendly reminder for those, like myself, that may have become complacent.

I went out for most of the day last Saturday (absolutely drop dead gorgeous day down here).  Got home and I'm wiping the bike down when I discover the bolt at the front engine mount, the one through the Heim joint, had backed out almost all the way.  The only thing that kept it from progressing was the head had hit the back of the voltage regulator.  No pics--I had discovered that day that the battery was dead in my camera but you FXR guys know the bolt I'm talking about.

I was once in the habit of looking for loose bolts on a regular basis but it had been so long since I had found one that I hadn't done it in quite a while.  Good thing the voltage regulator was there.

Check those bolts on your bike.  Those Evo motors shake, even though we may not feel it through the rubber mounts.  And use blue loctite.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Check those bolts.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 11:17:38 AM »

don't forget the upper motor mount bolts,even if thay look tight the rear usually isn't.   axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

elvislee

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 04:57:13 PM »

Good Topic...Keep your eyeballs on your 'Throttle Adjuster Screw". Lost mine the other day; went out to check height for winshield and noticed it missing   >:(

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 05:47:34 PM »

the c-clip will pop off if thay are backed off to hard.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

elvislee

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 05:54:10 PM »

the c-clip will pop off if thay are backed off to hard.

Yep...I think that's what happened  :-[

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 06:10:27 PM »

Picked up new bike, rode home....OIL LEAK!!!  It seems that when they hand build a bike they forget to tighten things like the Oil Pressure Switch. Hand tight, 5 full turns to tighten it up. Checked the rest myself.
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.