Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Audio System Questions  (Read 1572 times)

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
Audio System Questions
« on: December 26, 2008, 02:27:45 AM »

Hello all,

I just put down a deposit on an '09 SEUC (due to arrive in March), and I've got some questions that are not obvious through the literature that I've been able to find online.  I'm currently using a Zumo 550 w/XM & Traffic on my '06 Heritage, and my wife just sprung for a fairly expensive bluetooth headset/intercom system (Camos BTS-200) for my Christmas present.

• How much of this stuff will I be able to use on the SEUC?
  • Does it have an aux input?
  • Does it have Bluetooth?
  • Is the included Intercom wired or wireless?
  • Does the HK audio play only through the speakers, or also through the headset?

Thanks for your assistance.

Ed

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Audio System Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 02:54:38 AM »

Hello all,

I just put down a deposit on an '09 SEUC (due to arrive in March), and I've got some questions that are not obvious through the literature that I've been able to find online.  I'm currently using a Zumo 550 w/XM & Traffic on my '06 Heritage, and my wife just sprung for a fairly expensive bluetooth headset/intercom system (Camos BTS-200) for my Christmas present.

• How much of this stuff will I be able to use on the SEUC?
  • Does it have an aux input?
  • Does it have Bluetooth?
  • Is the included Intercom wired or wireless?
  • Does the HK audio play only through the speakers, or also through the headset?

Thanks for your assistance.

Ed

Your bikes radio will have a wired aux-in port on the front.  You can use it for a wired connection from the Zumo.  At least at the moment Harley offers no Bluetooth capability for the audio system.

They previously offered a bluetooth module for the Harmon Kardon radios.  They discontinued the module earlier this year without having yet made a replacement available.  The extent of bluetooth connectivity you'll likely gain will be pairing the helmet and phone to the Garmin unit.

Pairing a helmet and phone to a Garmin GPS is surprisingly efficient combination.  MP3s, GPS data and phone calls come to the helmet.  It's all mono.  But at least it's in the helmet.  The intercom function on the bike is hard wired.  Unless your new helmet's manufacturer or some aftermarket vendor offers a dongle to make the connection it won't get anything directly from the bike.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 07:20:08 AM »

I would suggest contacting John Lazzaroni from J&M as they have been working on the blue tooth thing for awhile and he may offer some assistance
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 09:09:13 AM »

Good to know about the Aux input.  The Bluetooth headset that I bought will work directly with the Zumo (in mono), or through a Bluetooth dongle connected through the Aux Out connection on the Zumo (in Stereo).   Is the HD wired headset for Intercom only, or is it also for the stereo system?
If it's only intercom, should I assume that my choices become:

• Bluetooth Headset with Zumo (GPS commands, XM Radio, XM Traffic, MP3), wireless intercom, but nothing from HK unit, or
  • Wired headset intercom with all HK audio and Zumo going through the speakers?

Thanks,

Ed

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 09:12:46 AM »

Good to know about the Aux input.  The Bluetooth headset that I bought will work directly with the Zumo (in mono), or through a Bluetooth dongle connected through the Aux Out connection on the Zumo (in Stereo).   Is the HD wired headset for Intercom only, or is it also for the stereo system?

• Bluetooth Headset with Zumo (GPS commands, XM Radio, XM Traffic, MP3), wireless intercom, but nothing from HK unit, or

Thanks,

Ed
I believe it's for Intercom/Stereo/CB.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 09:27:44 AM »

Thanks,

Ed
On the SEUC everything is hard wired.  The intercom can be heard only through the helmet speakers.  You can turn it on or off and control the rider and passenger can control their own individual volume level.  You have choices however for the radio and cb.  You can hear both through the helmet speakers only; or you can hear radio through the external speakers and cb through helmet speakers; or you can hear both radio and cb through the external speakers.  You control this with a toggle switch on the inner fairing cap just to the left of the ignition switch.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 11:25:18 PM »

Thanks to all for your input.  Couple more questions... 
  • Will the Zumo plugged into the Aux input also play either through the speakers or headset?
  • Is the headset stereo?  I assume that it is.

Kind of seems like if I want to be able to take full advantage of the onboard audio options, my bluetooth headset is pretty much useless.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 11:32:25 PM »

Thanks to all for your input.  Couple more questions... 
    • Will the Zumo plugged into the Aux input also play either through the speakers or headset?
    Yes
    • Is the headset stereo?  I assume that it is.
    Yes, it is stereo
    [/list]

Kind of seems like if I want to be able to take full advantage of the onboard audio options, my bluetooth headset is pretty much useless.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
      • MO

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 11:52:32 PM »

Relative to bike mounted services it's completely useless.  Connect to your phone or connect to your Garmin unit.  The Garmin unit only plays bluetooth-mono though.  If or when Harley re-releases a bluetooth module to add to the HK radio package you might gain some function.  But that's entirely speculative as there is no such module at this time.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 04:22:09 AM »

The Garmin unit only plays bluetooth-mono though. 

True, but I have a stereo bluetooth dongle attached to the Aux Out of the Garmin, which I then pair up with my headset.  It gives me pretty decent stereo for XM and MP3, and of course, the turn by turn directions in both helmet speakers.   If the Harmon Kardon unit had an Aux out port, I could connect the Garmin via wire to the Aux In on the fairing, and connect my bluetooth dongle to the Aux Out of the HK!  Anyone know if the HK unit has an Aux Out?

Thanks,

Ed

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
      • MO

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 06:48:16 PM »

Not intentionally it doesn't.  Though with the big overlay harness you could probably tap in to the sidecar speaker source leads and make yourself one.

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.