Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Decision: '05 SEEG or '06 Ultra SEEG  (Read 15101 times)

jdracing

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Decision: '05 SEEG or '06 Ultra SEEG
« on: October 29, 2005, 04:28:09 PM »

Brand new member, but long time Harley rider, here.  My wife is still wondering what I was doing all hours of the night on the internet last night--reading everything I could find on this website.  What a great resource and community you all have here.

So, I'll take the plunge with my first post (apologize in advance if I put it in the wrong forum).  I currently have a deposit on an '06 FLHTCI, but I've started seriously considering a SEEG, and this site has fueled that fire.  Owned Harleys since 1991, and my wife rides too (she currently has a new '05 FXDLI, lowered, pull back bars, and other tweaks to fit her 4'11" size and for touring).  I've just sold my '92 Evo Fat Boy, and am ready to move into an Electra Glide.

I am painfully aware that Harleys are intensly personal choices, but I wanted to solicit views of those that care to comment on a low mileage (under 2K) '05 SEEG versus a new '06 Ultra SEEG.  I will run about 90% of the time without the tour pak on it, and am not too concerned about two up riding, since my wife isn't about to get on my bike instead of riding hers.  I've done enough research to understand the differences between the Ultra Classic and Classic, in terms of CB/Intercom, rear speakers, and the other bells and whistles which separate the two non-SE Electra Glides--you can see based on my deposit which one I thought made the most sense for me (FLHTCI).  My first two mods if I get the '06 FLHTCI will be the detachable tour pak mount, and cruise control (the only Ultra feature I really want)--and they're both standard on either SEEG.  I also know about the audio system differences between the '05's and '06's, and while I'd prefer the '06 radio, it's not that big of a deal based on what I'd use.

Now that the SE bug has gotten to me, I'm rethinking everything.  I still don't need the extra bells and whistles of the Ultra SEEG, and I really (really) like the '05 candy red paint scheme, although the '06 Autumn Haze isn't too far behind.  My wife, being really hooked on Harleys and very supportive of me getting a new bike, pretty much wants me to disregard price and get the one that's right (you know, a divorce really teaches one what to look for in his/her next spouse, huh?).  Money is not the determining factor here, but if it makes as much sense to get a low mileage '05 as a new Ultra SEEG, I'll likely do the former.  

Again, the decision point is not the features of an Ultra versus the features of a Classic; it's whether the '06 SE Electra Glide platform is enough of a benefit over the '05 to warrant spending the extra money on an '06 Ultra (1) because of year-over-year improvements and (2) even though the Ultra's extra features are marginally useful to me.  I was also thinking I might get a different viewpoint if I posted it in the '05 SEEG forum, but thought I'd start here.  

I know no one can make the decision for me, but if people have owned or spent time on both and want to say "I'm so glad I traded my '05 SEEG for an '06 because. . . . or, it really is not worth worrying about the differences, except for the features of an Ultra over an '05 . . . .or just pick the year based on the paint scheme you like best. . . . . well, you get the idea.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Jeff  
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 04:28:52 PM by jdracing8rbb »
Jeff
Fremont, CA

2005 Cherry SEEG, V&H Dresser Duals, Samson Rolled Thunder Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Race Tuner

2005 Sierra Red/Silver Dyna Low Rider (Wife's ride), SE Tapered Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Stage

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Decision: '05 SEEG or '06 Ultra SEEG
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 05:21:48 PM »

Jeff, welcome aboard.  Yeah, you're right, it's a personal decision and no two people are gonna see a bike the same way.  If you are not gonna be too interested in the Ultra's stuff as you stated, I'd seriously consider trying to find a '05 or even '04 SEEG.  Especially since you're not too interested in the tour pac, etc.  There was a banana (yellow) one with no miles on it for sale on eBay....some car dealer in SC or Ga. had it.  Whatever you do, get one quick, 'cause you're burning daylight!  Har!   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 05:39:27 PM »

Jeff, first of all, welcome to the site! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  Also, thanks for the kind comments.  I'm glad you've found the place useful already.  Regarding your placement of this thread, I think most of the SEEG guys come over here, too, so you should get some good feedback posting here.

I think you have to let your heart be your guide on this one.  I have a 2004 SEEG and am just as excited over this bike today as when I got it two years ago this month.  When I saw the bike for the first time in photos, I knew I had to have one.  It was just that simple.  So, to me, the most telling sign in your post is the following quote:

I still don't need the extra bells and whistles of the Ultra SEEG, and I really (really) like the '05 candy red paint scheme, although the '06 Autumn Haze isn't too far behind.
Sounds to me like you are more emotional over the '05 than the '06 and that is what a purchase like this is all about, IMHO.

It sounds like you have a good understanding of the differences in the two models (paint, audio system, CB, etc.) and there are really no major year-over-year differences other than the ones you mentioned, with maybe one exception: the Ultra does not have a lowered suspension.

Since you repeatedly said its not the features of one versus the other that will make the difference for you, I think you have to ask yourself which one you're gonna want to walk out in the garage and see five or even ten years from now.

By the way, great topic for a first post!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 05:40:29 PM by 103tHunDer »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 05:48:27 PM »

Jeff;
Again welcome!. My opinion is to get what really makes your heart thump. For me the extras on the 06 don't seem like they would do that as you stated as well. You stated you wouldn't have the tourpak on most of the time and that would take some doing with the 06 SE ultra since the amp for the stereo is there. You'd need to come up with a disconnect system. Other than the stereo and CB/intercom there really isn't much differences between the 05 and 06 bikes.

Personally I love my Cherry SEEG and would not even consider and 06 to replace it [smiley=cherry.gif]

Best of luck on your decision and be sure to keepp us informed [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

jdracing

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 06:05:15 PM »

Spyder, 103 and HD-Dude, thank you very much for the warm welcome.

Your posts are extremely helpful, and as I knew would happen, some info came out in your comparisons that I had overlooked. Particularly, while I knew the '04's and '05's were lowered, I hadn't realized the '06's weren't.  At 5'8" and about a buck seventy five, I'd view the lowered bike as a plus and am not overly worried about suspension bottoming as I won't be two up much, if at all.  And the comment about the extra hassle because of the amp in the detachable trunk pak is most useful. Just can't pick that stuff up easily off the MoCo website.  Thanks again.  

Yeah, it always has to come down to a pure "go with your heart" decision, but I wanted to see if folks were going to come out strongly one year over another for reasons not apparent in the specs or other posts I've read.  HD-Dude, there's something about that '05 Cherry, isn't there?  I'm more and more certain that's the way I'll be heading.

Jeff
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 06:06:04 PM by jdracing8rbb »
Jeff
Fremont, CA

2005 Cherry SEEG, V&H Dresser Duals, Samson Rolled Thunder Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Race Tuner

2005 Sierra Red/Silver Dyna Low Rider (Wife's ride), SE Tapered Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Stage

06ULTRASE

• Senior CVO Member
  • In Memory of Scott Wheelihan

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTUCSE8
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 06:50:52 PM »

Welcome to the site. Up until 3 months ago I had a 03 RoadKing and my wife has an 03 Heritage ST. When I started looking at new bikes she encouraged me to get another Ultra since ahe doesn't like to ride herself on long trips. So I got an 06 Ultra SE and after one short trip on the back she won't get on the back again, go figure. Had it not been for her I would have been looking for an 05 SEEG. Don't get me wrong I am happy with the bike but like you I would like to take off the tour pak and that can't be easily accomplished on the 06. The 05 is a SPORTIER, is that a word? looking bike IMO and you can go with or without the tour pak. Not sure about your location but around here if you didn't put your name on the list and put some money down you aren't going to get a 06.
So like you and others have said figure out just which one you like best and go shopping.
Best of luck I'm sure you'll be happy with which ever one you decide on. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 08:37:16 PM »

Jeff,

Your original summary along with the other things that have been pointed out here really do cover most of the bases.  If you're vertically challenged (at least a bit) than the lowered bike might be a benefit.  The SE Ultra riders seem to suggest their's ride just a bit better though.  Those kinds of give and take will drive you nuts.

I've done an almost 1200 mile day and a couple of 800 mile days and lots of shorter stuff on my red 05.  Once I got off the stock seat it was fine (at least for me) for long-ish rides like that.  So the difference in ride quality may or may not be a big deal.  If you know all the physical or accessory differences and still aren't pushed over the edge one way or the other than your decision must be something other than mechanical.  Is there a paint scheme from one model or the other that just really pulls at you?  If so, that might be your choice.....

Also, you wrote that you like several things about the 05 but preferred the 06 radio.  The 06 radio can be retrofit in to the 05.  Adding the radio itself along with the XM hardware is actually a pretty easy chore.  Whether that further confuses things for you or makes it easier you'll have to tell us  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] .

Good luck on finding something you'll enjoy.  Let us know what you decide.

jdracing

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 09:21:44 PM »

Thanks '06Ultra and Twolane;

Again, I very much appreciate the advice.  I was really trying to sort out whether there were enough mechanical differences of significance to me to push me one way or the other, and I've pretty much come to the conclusion now that there aren't.  And yes at this point I'm partial to the Candy red '05 paint scheme, although I've only seen a few of the choices live, and the rest in pictures.  Based on what I've read in both this thread and others, maybe I'll be looking at a seat for it before too long.

I'm currently talking to a guy with a low mileage '05 red SEEG, about 1000 miles from me, and I may take a flight out to see the bike and if we can put a deal together if he doesn't sell it in the meantime.

I'll definitely let you all know how it works out.

Jeff    
Jeff
Fremont, CA

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 09:28:55 PM »

Jeff, where is the bike you're thinking about?  Might be someone on the board that is close by that could take a preliminary look for you.  At least find out enough to find out if the flight is worthwhile?

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 09:40:56 PM »

Welcome a board Jeff, think I can remember your name as mine is Jeff also.

My HD dealer in Visalia, CA rolled out his own Yellow 05 SEEG - with 900 miles on it
Dang I loved that color and he wouldn't sell it to me about 6 months ago or I would be on the Yellow Banana right now. As I was leaving the dealership today (hey I didn't buy any new chrome) the salesman was clearing a space for the bike, not sure what the price will be as it has numerous other options like the HID Headlamp.

But I am totally happy with my 06 Autumn Haze CUSE, its a Awesome bike.
No way to take the tour pak off as there is a amp under the tour pak that doesn't remove with tour pak. If you need a pic of what I am talking about here is a link showing the amp:
http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1130229296/45
great post from twolanerider

You can't go wrong with either Model both are Winners

jdracing

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 09:51:37 PM »

Thanks JeffJ.  Visalia is an easy trip.  I wish it were red. I'm in the Northern Caliifornia Bay Area.  The yellow just doesn't do it the same as the red one for me.

Twolane, thanks for the suggestion and you have a PM.

Jeff

PS, it's really great to see the people whose posts I have been reading all over this board for the last two days respond to a newbie with their insight.  Thank you all.
Jeff
Fremont, CA

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 09:56:36 PM »

it's really great to see the people whose posts I have been reading all over this board for the last two days respond to a newbie with their insight.  Thank you all.

Hell, everyone was a newbie at some time.  You ride, that's the only important thing here.  Quite frankly we'd probably all rather be out riding than sitting here typing at one another.  But if I have to be stuck on the phone for too long I might as well be doing something good at the same time like visiting all the fine folks here; and JC and Naitram too.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 11:40:45 PM by twolanerider »

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 10:26:28 PM »

Welcome! you got the best advice, go with your heart! The Cherry grabbed me big time..when I first got it I would open the garage door to look at it in the middle of the night...smile ,close the door and go to bed thinking about it...Thats the bike you want...if it makes you do that, go for it! And, by the way, I just did a vehicle locater search and San Jose H-D had one...unknown if it is still there and price, but you can call them at 1-408 995-6676. And don't buy an out of state bike as you can't bring it in to Cal. until it has 7500 miles on it. I wouldn't trade mine for an 06 because the tour pak is removeable..it adapts to what kind of riding you are doing...it is the coolest red...etc. etc. Good luck! [smiley=cherry.gif]

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005, 10:27:19 PM »

Jeff

Take a look at this website for CycleTrader:http://www.cycletrader.com/adsearch/cyclesearchprocess.html

There are a few Red Scooters but didn't see any in CA
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 10:29:24 PM by jeffj »

jdracing

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2005, 10:49:02 PM »

Thanks Tony and Jeff;

I've been looking at Cycle Trader for some time, and unfortunately nothing in CA

Tony, I'm not sure if the 7500 mile California thing applies to used bikes or not.  I know it does to new ones.   I've been down to SJ Harley recently, in fact that's where we got my wife's FXDLI recently.  Didn't see any SEEG's there.  Thanks for checking the locater.

If anyone knows whether one can bring a used bike into CA from out of state and register it before 7500 miles, please let me know.

Jeff
Jeff
Fremont, CA

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 21 queries.