Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Transmission Whine in 1st gear.  (Read 8110 times)

Ultra2010

Transmission Whine in 1st gear.
« on: October 06, 2009, 09:46:36 PM »

Took my 2010 UCSE, with 300 miles on it to the dealer today for a "whine" in first gear when the clutch is pulled in, while coasting, at ANY speed. 
(wow what a sentence).

The two master techs rode it, looked at eachother, concluded they had no clue.  They both said the trannie needs to be pulled, opened and "whatever".   I like and trust them both.

Anyone else have this problem??

Ultra 2010

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Transmission Whine in 1st gear.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 01:14:57 PM »

I don't know how loud this whine is, but I had a whinning noise in 1st gear while coasting in gear, clutch pulled in and it almost completely disappeared when I switched to Redline Shockproof in the trans.

See this topic:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=39981.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 02:49:24 PM »

Noise complaints are pretty tough to discuss with any amount of accuracy in an on-line forum, since we can't hear the actual noise.  However, unless this noise you hear in first gear is much louder than what I've heard on my bikes over the years, you may be wasting time and effort pulling the trans at this point (300 miles).

First gear in the 2010 models is still the good ol' straight cut gear set, and straight cut gears, especially those with higher numerical ratios, can be noisy.  If you ever owned or drove a stick shift car, perhaps you remember the loud whine if you drove around or coasted down in first gear?  

Suggestion:  Drain the motor oil out of the trans and install a real gear lubricant, then ride until you get at least a thousand miles on it.  Then evaluate the noise issue and decide if it's something you want to pursue.

Jerry
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 05:13:07 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 03:50:33 PM »

Suggestion:  Drain the motor oil out of the trans and install a real gear lubricant, then ride until you get at least a thousand miles on it.  Then evaluate the noise issue and decide if it's something you want to persue.

Jerry

Do as Jerry stated and change the primary oil also at the same time.  Get the Syn3 fluids out of all three holes and you/bike will be better off.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 05:02:50 PM »

Took my 2010 UCSE, with 300 miles on it to the dealer today for a "whine" in first gear when the clutch is pulled in, while coasting, at ANY speed. 
(wow what a sentence).

The two master techs rode it, looked at eachother, concluded they had no clue.  They both said the trannie needs to be pulled, opened and "whatever".   I like and trust them both.

Anyone else have this problem??

Ultra 2010

Every Bike I have ever owned had a whine in first gear as did my stick shift Automoblles, I would do as others have suggested, change fluids and drive it awhile, What bike did you have prior to this one.

Ultra2010

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 10:14:23 PM »

I appreciate everyone's input.  This is a loud whine.  I was pulling into the 7-11 to get some coffee and a guy asked me (this is no joke) "is that an electric bike?"
Wanted to bit_h slap him but I just grinned and kept going. 

This is by no means my first Harley, 5th as I count in my tired head with having owned most every other brand also (just like many of us), and this whine is just amazing.  I have never heard anything like this before, and the techs said the same thing.  I'm holding off on changing fluids and am letting the dealer deal with it since its so new. I know to change out the fluids just like most have said but "just in case something is up, I want them to carry the ball. 

I'm a decent wrench but NOT a trained tech.  Having just dropped a massive sum of cash on this ride (as we all have ~ we may be nuts but by God we do love our bikes), I want them to deal with it and I'll and document everything, I'm a fanatic with my ledgers.  Here is a good one for y'all to pick on me over:  I keep a log book (volumes of them actually) with every ride I take.  Starting and ending mileage, start and stop times, gas receipts and mileage, where I rode to, with whom, the weather (I track the daily conditions also, have for years 'cuz I'm a gardening fool), average speed/traffic conditions etc..... 

Ultra 2010

REGGAB

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 10:58:07 PM »

I appreciate everyone's input.  This is a loud whine.  I was pulling into the 7-11 to get some coffee and a guy asked me (this is no joke) "is that an electric bike?"
Wanted to bit_h slap him but I just grinned and kept going. 

This is by no means my first Harley, 5th as I count in my tired head with having owned most every other brand also (just like many of us), and this whine is just amazing.  I have never heard anything like this before, and the techs said the same thing.  I'm holding off on changing fluids and am letting the dealer deal with it since its so new. I know to change out the fluids just like most have said but "just in case something is up, I want them to carry the ball. 

I'm a decent wrench but NOT a trained tech.  Having just dropped a massive sum of cash on this ride (as we all have ~ we may be nuts but by God we do love our bikes), I want them to deal with it and I'll and document everything, I'm a fanatic with my ledgers.  Here is a good one for y'all to pick on me over:  I keep a log book (volumes of them actually) with every ride I take.  Starting and ending mileage, start and stop times, gas receipts and mileage, where I rode to, with whom, the weather (I track the daily conditions also, have for years 'cuz I'm a gardening fool), average speed/traffic conditions etc..... 

Ultra 2010

Sounds normal to me.   :huepfenlol2:

Seriously, best to you with your transmission.  Let us know how it works out.  I can always tell when I'm riding with someone who has SYN III in all three holes.  That "CLANK" on first gear engage is a dead giveaway.

HD4CPA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 05:33:44 PM »

I have identical problem.  PM sent.  Change in tranny fluid made zero difference.
Mods:
Vance & Hines Power Duals
Fullsac 2" baffles
TTS Mastertune
Integrated XM Stereo
Hogtune Speakers
Hog Pod
HID Lighting
C&C Solo Seat
1" Floorboard Extenders

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 05:39:21 PM »

I just had my motor replaced and they also re-built my Tranny. Tranny shaft had to much end play. This was on my 2010 SEUC.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.