Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: horsepower?  (Read 2537 times)

4002yobtaf

horsepower?
« on: March 29, 2010, 02:53:21 PM »

Why doesnt the factory post horsepower on their bikes and does anybody know what the stock horsepower is on the 2010 FLHXSE?

Thanks

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: horsepower?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 03:34:29 PM »

Why doesnt the factory post horsepower on their bikes and does anybody know what the stock horsepower is on the 2010 FLHXSE?

Thanks

They probably don't list HP in the spec sheets because it would be embarrassing.  Much less embarrassing to list the gross torque figures at the crankshaft, so that's the number they use.

Approximate rear wheel horsepower on a CVO110 is around 80, btw.  A TC96 is around 67.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Pete

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 03:53:52 PM »

interesting. I have a TZ25 and it can pull the garage down. I had a BWM 1300 GT and I think that had 140hp the CVO pulls just as hard. H.P. is a measure of what exactly?

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 04:33:54 PM »

kind'da sad and we pay big bucks for this,...

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 04:55:39 PM »

Thanks
It is never enough :huepfenlol2:

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 04:56:45 PM »

::)
- Power and Torque -
ESSENTIAL CONCEPTS:
Torque is measured; Power is calculated
In order to discuss powerplants in any depth, it is essential to understand the concepts of POWER and TORQUE.

HOWEVER, in order to understand POWER, you must first understand ENERGY and WORK. If you have not reviewed these concepts for a while, it would be helpful to do so before studying this article. CLICK HERE for a quick review of Energy and Work.

It often seems that people are confused about the relationship between POWER and TORQUE. For example, we have heard engine builders, camshaft consultants, and other technical experts ask customers:

"Do you want your engine to make HORSEPOWER or TORQUE?"
And the question is posed in a tone which strongly suggests that these experts believe power and torque are somehow mutually exclusive.

In fact, the opposite is true, and you should be clear on these facts:

1.POWER (the rate of doing WORK) is dependent on TORQUE and RPM.
2.TORQUE and RPM are the MEASURED quantities of engine output.
3.POWER is CALCULATED from torque and RPM, by the following equation:
HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252
(At the bottom of this page, the derivation of that equation is shown, for anyone interested.)

An engine produces POWER by providing a ROTATING SHAFT which can exert a given amount of TORQUE on a load at a given RPM. The amount of TORQUE the engine can exert usually varies with RPM.

A dynamometer determines the POWER an engine produces by applying a load to the engine output shaft by means of a water brake, a generator, an eddy-current absorber, or any other controllable device capable of absorbing power. The dynamometer control system causes the absorber to exactly match the amount of torque the engine is producing at that instant, then measures that TORQUE as well as the RPM of the engine shaft, and from those two measurements, it calculates observed power. Then it applies various factors (air temperature, barometric pressure, relative humidity) in order to correct the observed power to the value it would have been if it had been measured at standard atmospheric conditions (corrected power).

TORQUE
TORQUE is defined as a FORCE around a given point, applied at a RADIUS from that point. Note that the unit of TORQUE is one pound-foot (often misstated), while the unit of WORK is one foot-pound.

Figure 1
Referring to Figure 1, assume that the handle is attached to the crank-arm so that it is parallel to the supported shaft and is located at a radius of 12" from the center of the shaft. In this example, consider the shaft to be fixed to the wall. Let the arrow represent a 100 lb. force, applied in a direction perpendicular to both the handle and the crank-arm, as shown.

Because the shaft is fixed to the wall, the shaft does not turn, but there is a torque of 100 pounds-feet (100 pounds times 1 foot) applied to the shaft.

Note that if the crank-arm in the sketch was twice as long (i.e. the handle was located 24" from the center of the shaft), the same 100 pound force applied to the handle would produce 200 lb-ft of torque (100 pounds times 2 feet).

POWER
POWER is the measure of how much WORK can be done in a specified TIME. In the example on the Work and Energy page, the guy pushing the car did 16,500 foot-pounds of WORK. If he did that work in two minutes, he would have produced 8250 foot-pounds per minute of POWER (165 feet x 100 pounds ÷ 2 minutes). If you are unclear about WORK and ENERGY, it would be a benefit to review those concepts HERE.

Pete

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 05:06:47 PM »

I was not able to reference the article but thank you for your explaination. I (now better) understand the forces relative to work. I always knew work was power times distance but distance alone is not a measurement of power.
I wonder how the correction factor was derived.
Thanks

Sapper6

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 07:13:48 PM »

Where is Howie to say....

"This chit ain't rocket science!"

Seriously, where is Hoist?  I have not heard from him in forever... :nixweiss:

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 07:47:17 PM »

:P
http://www.car-videos.net/articles/horsepower_torque.asp

I found another source,  maybe it will tell ya what you want to know.

CVOTequila

• Squee's Revenge
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 09:48:48 PM »

Horsepower....I am not really so sure what it is after reading this thread, but I still want more!! :2vrolijk_21:
Mods:
Mirror Chrome Agitator Wheels
Freedom Racing Duals
C&C Seat (Squeeter's Revenge)
Hawg Wired "Double Shots"
Hawg Wired Tweeters
Boogey Lights Fireworks
Kury License Plate
HD Chrome Accents on gauges/radio
Tune Trapper Antenna (hidden)
Riders Claw
Footboard/Passenger Extensions
SE Shift Linkage
Joker Machine Saddlebag Latches
Ness Flame Grips (billet)

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.