Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Windshield Problems  (Read 5185 times)

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Sharon)
Re: Windshield Problems
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 09:04:15 AM »

Mr Wizard;

As always...thanks for the advice. I'm taking the bike on it's first long trip this weekend to Sea Isle NJ, to include a trip on the Cape May Ferry (gotta check on how the bike is secured from roll). Should be great weather at the beach. Looking foward to riding around Sea Isle on the bike for a few days.

Ride Safe

Mickey

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 12:20:07 PM »

I experienced something the other day that really surprised me.  I have been thinking my helmet (HJC cl-14 size M) I purchased when I got my first bike 6 years ago, was the right size.  It is what I used last year at Sturgis to testride the convertible.  Wind buffeting was the major hindrance to the bike of course.  I thought then I could purchase a fb windshield and the problem could be resolved.  Have not gotten to the replacement yet but last weekend I bought a new Shoei RF-1100 helmet size M that fits like a corinthian leather glove. no kidding.  May just be the best helmet I have ever used.  Almost purchased a L until going back again and resizing.  Walked around in the shop for 20 minutes with the M and it seemed just right.  So, on the last couple rides I have been on, the buffeting appears to be nill or at least very minimal.  I'm talking about that feeling that the wind is blowing your head to the right and then blowing it to the left, and all over the place.  I am beginning to believe the majority of my issues with the buffeting has actually been an ill-fitting helmet (sized just a skosh too big; like when you are in between sizes??)  Anyway, my gf has been using a half helmet and the wind that day she said felt like it was going to take her head off......and she was riding behind me!  Anyway, she is pleased so far with her new same model helmet as well.  Not saying that the helmet fit is the answer but appears to have made a significant impact on the buffeting.  It seems to be more one with my head.  May be something to think about and try. 

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Sharon)
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 01:16:14 PM »

I will admit that I also have had these thoughts. The 3/4 HD helmet I purchased last year fit's very well. I tried the next lower size but it was simply too tight. I do wonder also if the style might contribute to this issue. It would be great to be able to try a few different styles before you buy, but that does not seem possible. Might try to 'borrow" one or two different types from my HOG chapter brothers at our next ride.

I still might try the deflectors if they indeed attach to the windshield. Generally I like riding the bike stripped of bags and windshield anyway, so when I get to where I'm heading, they come off and sit in the hotel room.

Thanks again for the advice.

Ride Safe

Mickey
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.555 seconds with 20 queries.