Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Noise from rear of primary  (Read 7636 times)

Camoup

Noise from rear of primary
« on: May 23, 2010, 02:51:52 PM »

I have 160 miles on my ne black SE Ultra.  Went for a ride today and started hearing this load clunking noise.  Pull over and it is coming out of the rear of the primary..  To say the least Im not to happy right now...  It sounds like something is bouncing around inside...    Any ideas???    160 miles and had to trailer it back home it's not off to a good start....
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 02:53:28 PM by Camoup »
Save A Biker, Shoot A Doe

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Noise from rear of primary
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 03:59:32 PM »

I have 160 miles on my ne black SE Ultra.  Went for a ride today and started hearing this load clunking noise.  Pull over and it is coming out of the rear of the primary..  To say the least Im not to happy right now...  It sounds like something is bouncing around inside...    Any ideas???    160 miles and had to trailer it back home it's not off to a good start....

You don't say when the noise is happening.  While rolling?  All the time?  A noise like "something is bouncing around inside" the primary is enough description, however, to know it should be looked at and it shouldn't be ridden until you know what's going on.  Get it looked at.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 07:32:49 PM »

I have 160 miles on my ne black SE Ultra.  Went for a ride today and started hearing this load clunking noise.  Pull over and it is coming out of the rear of the primary..  To say the least Im not to happy right now...  It sounds like something is bouncing around inside...    Any ideas???    160 miles and had to trailer it back home it's not off to a good start....

It sure seems like the MOCO has lost there way in a number of ways....  Issues like these.....denial at all levels.....and all with a dose of arrogance.  I cannot see myself purchasing a new bike from them for a long long time - if ever.  And at a time when they need sales more than ever.  Quality cannot turn around on a dime, but attitudes and customer service can turn around on a dime.  But I suspect they won't.......   :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 07:38:10 PM »

It sure seems like the MOCO has lost there way in a number of ways....  Issues like these.....denial at all levels.....and all with a dose of arrogance.  I cannot see myself purchasing a new bike from them for a long long time - if ever.  And at a time when they need sales more than ever.  Quality cannot turn around on a dime, but attitudes and customer service can turn around on a dime.  But I suspect they won't.......   :nixweiss:

They're not big enough to bail out either.  So no resurrection and rebirth on the gov't teat.  Or at least likely not.  Thank god we can build our own from spare parts  :drink: :huepfenlol2: .

Camoup

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 07:46:22 PM »

It makes this noise all the time nothing you do stops it. As soon as I heard it I shut it off and called my son for a trailer.. It does not matter if it is in gear or out of gear, stopoped or rolling same noise all the time...
Save A Biker, Shoot A Doe

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 07:56:42 PM »

It makes this noise all the time nothing you do stops it. As soon as I heard it I shut it off and called my son for a trailer.. It does not matter if it is in gear or out of gear, stopoped or rolling same noise all the time...

Unfortunately the only thing you can know for sure is that you can't know for sure what it is until someone looks inside. 

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 08:50:51 PM »

Thank god we can build our own from spare parts  :drink: :huepfenlol2: .

What a novel concept.
Another Blue SERG!
 :2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 09:48:49 PM »

What a novel concept.
Another Blue SERG!
 :2vrolijk_21:

SBB

I still think that would have been the perfect use for all the spare green SEEG guts.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 04:44:15 PM »

Did we ever come up with what was making that noise. In my 2010 BLUU SEUC I have this same clacking noise that is driving me nut's. I'm going on my summer vacation in two weeks and my dealer said they are booked till July 4th. They told me to just bring the bike in and leave it for two weeks and maybe they will get to it. I have noticed it getting louder and louder. It does sound like something rolling around in the primary???
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 04:48:07 PM »

When it's off and you move the bike back and forth is there ant slack or noise? Maybe a tensoner problem?? :nixweiss:

Craig

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 08:01:05 AM »

I have had that noise in my primary on the 09 SERG and both times it was the compensator bolt came loose and the primary chain would not rachet up on its own, Dealer fixed both times. Oh and it is now going in for the third time as the primary chain is to tight now.   Doc

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 09:07:12 AM »

Well I took it in last night to the local dealer and they are going into the Primary. The Head Tech said it sounded like Piston Slap but that is not the problem and I told them to go over that whole Primary because of compensator issues and chain tensioner issues. They probably will tell me they didn't find anything but mystically the noise will go away.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 12:37:24 PM »

Just got a call from dealer and they said they found no defects in the Primary area. They suspect Piston Slap due to a tight flywheel and they have told me that the bike will be ok for my trip but when I get back they want to tear into the top end and  check the pistons and go into the flywheel. They stated that it could possibly be a engine change. Wow my 08 was oil leaks and now on my 10 is internal dimensions. Anyone else out there had this specific issue on there SEUC?

US.Army.Retired

• Junior CVO Member
  • US Army (Retired)

• CVO1: 2004 Fatboy
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Scarlet Red/Dark Slate
    • CVO3: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 01:03:48 PM »

The service department recently ordered cylinders and pistons for my 2010 SECU due to piston slap.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 02:38:42 PM »

Did they correct the problem in the Fly Wheel before they put  those new Cylinders and Pistons into it?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 22 queries.