Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Noise from rear of primary  (Read 7635 times)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Noise from rear of primary
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 03:16:02 PM »

Being a fellow 10 110 owner, you guys aren't making me feel warm and fuzzy.

US.Army.Retired

• Junior CVO Member
  • US Army (Retired)

• CVO1: 2004 Fatboy
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Scarlet Red/Dark Slate
    • CVO3: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 03:17:12 PM »

Do I have a problem with my fly wheel?

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 04:00:23 PM »

Well until they tear into mine and determine what is causing the Piston Slap I can't say for sure that it would be a Fly Wheel that is to tight a tolerance but something is driving the Piston's to Slap. It could be a number of things and hopefully your dealer has determined it is only an issue with your Cylinders,Pistons and Rings.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 10:28:47 PM »

Maybe a pertinent story - maybe not - but this all took place in the last month or so.  A close friend of mine has had two distinct engine noises since his bike was new (2010 SEUC).  A hammering bottom end sounding noise and clattering top end noise.  He has constantly been at the dealership - actually a couple of dealerships.   First the dealership diagnosed it as "normal".  Suprise!!  So I went to the dealership with him and had them start 2 or 3 new SEUC's on their floor side by side with his.  They quickly agreed his engine noises were not "normal" noises.  They speculated a bad crank bearing, piston slap, bad lifters, bad rocker arms, rocker box interference, timing...  all kinds of guesses.  The motor only had about 400 miles on it.  They inspected the top end (rocker boxes and rocker arms) and found nothing.  They claimed to have replaced the lifters - but I don't think they actually did. 

After two months of them having his bike more than he had the bike - with no progress, he asked me to look at it - I reluctantly agreed to look at it for him.  I hate working on anyone's bike but my own.  Working on someone else's bike (especially a new bike under warranty that has a problem) is a lot like loaning money to family - more potential downside than upside....  Anyway, he's a friend, so I agreed to...   I looked in the cylinders with a borescope.  The cylinder walls and pistons looked perfect - like new.  No way there was piston slap.  I listened all over the motor with a mechanic's stethescope.  There were without doubt two sources of noise.  The first was easy.  The heavy bottom end sound was a leaking rear exhaust gasket.  I could not feel it leaking, but I squirted a bit of WD40 at the header/head connection, and the noise immediately changed.  It was leaking.  When I pulled the gasket out, it was obvious the header had never sealed to the head.  If they replaced the lifters, they would have had to remove the exhaust.  The exhaust gasket showed no sign of being disturbed since new - hence me doubting they replaced the lifters.  I replaced the exhaust gaskets with Cometic exhaust gaskets.  That eliminated the "bottom end" noise.  It's not the first time I have run across this problem.  And trust me, maybe hard to believe, but leaking exhaust gaskets can sound like a crank bearing. 

I next pulled the pushrods and lifters.  The top end noise was definitely coming from the rear cylinder.  I found the problem was a pushrod.  An exhaust pushrod on the rear cylinder had a loose "cap" on the lifter end of the pushrod.  Other than the stethescope pointing me there, the other clue was the wear marks on the pushrod where it was contacting the pushrod tube.  The other three pushrods had no signs of contact.  I replaced the pushrods with SE tapered pushrods.  I replaced the lifters with the new Woods directional lifters that Deweyheads overnighted to me.   And then I put it all back together.  I used Redline 20-60 motor oil   Once back together, I fired it up.  As soon as I started it, he smiled.  He has a quiet motor.  The next day we left on 1500 mile trip.  He was happy with his new bike for the first time.

The other problem he had been having was when downshifting, it would frequently not drop into gear.  Again, it was first diagnosed as normal by the dealership.  (he needed more experience downshifting was their claim)  I saw him downshifting multiple, multiple times (I suspected he had a twelve speed or something - lol)...  So I pulled the primary cover off and found the primary chain with no freeplay at all.  Almost guitar string tight.  So I adjusted the primary chain to spec - and put it back together.  He can now downshift like a mere mortal (turns out he only has a six speed like me...hehehe...)

So there's the story...  I often think all the reports of noisy motors are potentially simple fixes.  Maybe lots of causes - but it's all mechanical stuff...

By the way, what the heck is "piston slap caused by a tight flywheel"?   ???
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 10:34:57 PM »

One more thing....he spent just under $500 buying parts  -  lifters, pushrods, gaskets, overnight shipping charges...(good thing he had free labor...)  He claims he is going back to the dealer to get his money back....   :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 08:58:42 AM »

Sadunbar, Thank You for your Post!! Dealers throw out all kinds of BS and the Fy Wheel was one of them. I'm getting ready for a long trip so I guess I will have to get use to hearing all this Clacking and pinging from the motor on my trip. So much for a new 2010 SEUC. Now I wish I had kept my 08 SEUC.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

fatboi1959

• Junior CVO Member
  • It's all good!
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 11:50:27 PM »

Desertbear54,
Just curious is your bike stock? I bought a new 07 and sounds like it ran the same as yours. After 13,000 miles and no help from the dealers i went nuts and threw the checkbook at it. Now it's fine but as you look at the list of ingredients i replaced i feel sick! All that and I had put 7 yrs of warranty on it. I don't see any more new bikes coming my way...I'm supposed to save something for retirement! I ride with other 110's and an 08 recently seized of going down the freeway at 70 mph. He didn't get the clutch pulled in fast enough and put the bike into a skid. I was riding staggered to his right and behind him. Luckily i try to leave some extra room and was able to get around his right side without any contact. He regained control and stopped safely... :'(The diagnosis was excessive crankshaft runout ruined the oil pump and the chit hit the fan. Another guy is awaiting a replacement engine for his 2010 cvo ultra.. i haven't heard what happened to that one. It doesn't sound like they have the bugs worked out to me. :'(Good riding to you!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 11:53:58 PM by fatboi1959 »
2007 FLHTCUSE2
I'm spending my retirement one mod at a time

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 03:44:01 PM »

Maybe a pertinent story - maybe not - but this all took place in the last month or so.  A close friend of mine has had two distinct engine noises since his bike was new (2010 SEUC).  A hammering bottom end sounding noise and clattering top end noise.  He has constantly been at the dealership - actually a couple of dealerships.   First the dealership diagnosed it as "normal".  Suprise!!  So I went to the dealership with him and had them start 2 or 3 new SEUC's on their floor side by side with his.  They quickly agreed his engine noises were not "normal" noises.  They speculated a bad crank bearing, piston slap, bad lifters, bad rocker arms, rocker box interference, timing...  all kinds of guesses.  The motor only had about 400 miles on it.  They inspected the top end (rocker boxes and rocker arms) and found nothing.  They claimed to have replaced the lifters - but I don't think they actually did. 

After two months of them having his bike more than he had the bike - with no progress, he asked me to look at it - I reluctantly agreed to look at it for him.  I hate working on anyone's bike but my own.  Working on someone else's bike (especially a new bike under warranty that has a problem) is a lot like loaning money to family - more potential downside than upside....  Anyway, he's a friend, so I agreed to...   I looked in the cylinders with a borescope.  The cylinder walls and pistons looked perfect - like new.  No way there was piston slap.  I listened all over the motor with a mechanic's stethescope.  There were without doubt two sources of noise.  The first was easy.  The heavy bottom end sound was a leaking rear exhaust gasket.  I could not feel it leaking, but I squirted a bit of WD40 at the header/head connection, and the noise immediately changed.  It was leaking.  When I pulled the gasket out, it was obvious the header had never sealed to the head.  If they replaced the lifters, they would have had to remove the exhaust.  The exhaust gasket showed no sign of being disturbed since new - hence me doubting they replaced the lifters.  I replaced the exhaust gaskets with Cometic exhaust gaskets.  That eliminated the "bottom end" noise.  It's not the first time I have run across this problem.  And trust me, maybe hard to believe, but leaking exhaust gaskets can sound like a crank bearing. 

I next pulled the pushrods and lifters.  The top end noise was definitely coming from the rear cylinder.  I found the problem was a pushrod.  An exhaust pushrod on the rear cylinder had a loose "cap" on the lifter end of the pushrod.  Other than the stethescope pointing me there, the other clue was the wear marks on the pushrod where it was contacting the pushrod tube.  The other three pushrods had no signs of contact.  I replaced the pushrods with SE tapered pushrods.  I replaced the lifters with the new Woods directional lifters that Deweyheads overnighted to me.   And then I put it all back together.  I used Redline 20-60 motor oil   Once back together, I fired it up.  As soon as I started it, he smiled.  He has a quiet motor.  The next day we left on 1500 mile trip.  He was happy with his new bike for the first time.

The other problem he had been having was when downshifting, it would frequently not drop into gear.  Again, it was first diagnosed as normal by the dealership.  (he needed more experience downshifting was their claim)  I saw him downshifting multiple, multiple times (I suspected he had a twelve speed or something - lol)...  So I pulled the primary cover off and found the primary chain with no freeplay at all.  Almost guitar string tight.  So I adjusted the primary chain to spec - and put it back together.  He can now downshift like a mere mortal (turns out he only has a six speed like me...hehehe...)

So there's the story...  I often think all the reports of noisy motors are potentially simple fixes.  Maybe lots of causes - but it's all mechanical stuff...

By the way, what the heck is "piston slap caused by a tight flywheel"?   ???

It's still the automatic adjuster, correct?  Wouldn't it just adjust itself tight again?  I was going to upgrade my two bikes with this, but decided not worth the risk.  Gaskets are cheap.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 04:50:13 PM »

It's still the automatic adjuster, correct?  Wouldn't it just adjust itself tight again?  I was going to upgrade my two bikes with this, but decided not worth the risk.  Gaskets are cheap.

For whatever reason, it adjusted itself beyond tight.  It had never happened before.  And I have checked it since and it has maintained correct adjustment.  As this is not my bike, but a friends bike, I don't know all of the history, but it was guitar string tight and was greatly affecting his ability to downshift.   :nixweiss:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 09:07:55 PM »

Not sure about the current bikes that come stock with the auto tensioners, but the auto tensioner kits sold in the catalog still use the manual adjuster mounting plate with the "teeth".  Part of the install was to leave the tensioner compressed by the shipping plate and slide the entire assembly up against the chain until there was a 1" free play in the top run of the chain, then tighten the assembly to the mounting plate in the primary.  Only after the intial play was set were you to remove the ties holding the shipping plate and release the tensioner shoe wedge to make the actual automatic adjustment.  If that intial adjustment wasn't done right, it was quite easy to wind up with an overly tight chain.

As for the ones that seemed to be fine for thousands of miles and then suddenly got real tight, hard to tell what causes that.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be a rare occurrence, since I've read about many of them over the past couple years.  Probably got something to do with the ultra-fine tolerances the MoCo uses on their parts these days. ???

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 09:05:49 AM »

When I pulled mine down the primary chain was so tight you'd think they used a load binder on it.  Installed the HB Wedge......the HD tensioner makes a nice tool for holding the sprockets when tightening/loosening the clutch and compensator. ;)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 09:19:40 AM »

Fatboi1959. My 2010 SEUC is pretty much stock. I have a Thompson Intake on it with CFR Slip-ons and a SERT. I never did hear from Harley yesterday so I am waiting for a call today so they can tell me what direction they are heading with the bike.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 11:52:14 AM »

Sadunbar you are not only a good friend for solving his problems you were the savior to his riding season. He is a lucky guy to have someone do what you did. I have an 08 SERK with 33,000 miles that I have reluctantly decide to sell. I have spent a ton of money on the usual repairs/improvements and I'm still thousands away from having the bike the way I want it. If I can't sell it for a reasonable price I will be making more improvements geared directly towards reliability.  In the time since I purchased it new in 08 it has been at the dealership for over 5 weeks for repairs. We don't get to ride the whole year so riding time is important to me. My wife thinks I'm crazy for putting up with the constant issues. She is right in a way concerning our toleration just to be riding a 'HARLEY', since few of us would tolerate these kind of issues with our cars, trucks etc.  She knows I'm constantly worried about it breaking down someplace leaving us stranded again. She loves riding and could give a crap about looking cool, she just wants a bike that is dependable and doesn't continually drain the checkbook. I usually have an answer for most issues we face but I guess I'm just to darn stubborn. If I did the smart thing I would just get a BMW or a Wing and ride my ass off. Either way I can't take much more down time and the finances are not looking to healthy at this time. Great CVO family here though!

Ray. G.     

Bandit_3

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2010, 04:15:26 PM »

I have a 2010 UCSE5 and have the same sound coming from my primary from 1050 miles. I now have 2650 miles and it has been to Harley 5 times . They replaced the trans, clutch, basket, hub, race gear and bearing, compensator and lifters, and i still have the same sound except its getting louder and now i have a whine in 1st gear that i didnt have before. Today i was told by the Manager of Harley customer care in Milwaukii that they know i have a bad sounds but since they tried and cant repair it , now get this. IM GOING TO HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT....so now i have a $38,000.00 bike that sounds like a bucket of bolts and Harley isnt doing anything about it. They wont even look at it anymore. Anybody want to buy a really expensive anchor for a big boat.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 04:42:34 PM »

I have a 2010 UCSE5 and have the same sound coming from my primary from 1050 miles. I now have 2650 miles and it has been to Harley 5 times . They replaced the trans, clutch, basket, hub, race gear and bearing, compensator and lifters, and i still have the same sound except its getting louder and now i have a whine in 1st gear that i didnt have before. Today i was told by the Manager of Harley customer care in Milwaukii that they know i have a bad sounds but since they tried and cant repair it , now get this. IM GOING TO HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT....so now i have a $38,000.00 bike that sounds like a bucket of bolts and Harley isnt doing anything about it. They wont even look at it anymore. Anybody want to buy a really expensive anchor for a big boat.
Tell them to put that in writing on letterhead.  They'll say something different.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 21 queries.