Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to install sideplates on FXR2, whats the secret to removing the struts?  (Read 1392 times)

panhead scotty

I'm trying to install factory sideplates on my FXR2.  I put the bike on a lift, removed the right shock, and tried to remove the nut inside the fender for the right rear turn signal.  Turning nut inside fender just rotates the entire turn signal assembly.  When I hold the turn signal and turn the nut, the turn signal, which is reverse threaded on the mounting post, lossens and comes off.  Wiring is running through the nut inside the fender, mouting post, and into the turn signal.

Anybody got any secrets on how to losen the turn signal mounbting arm so strut can be removed from fender?

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited

I'm looking at the parts book.  Yes there is the hollow post that has a nut on the fender side.  You'll have to hold the post and loosen the nut.  From the drawing it looks like there is a flat spot on the post to hold it with a wrench. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

panhead scotty

Thanks for the reply.  No flat spot on the post.  ant get a grip on it without damage.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member

I'm trying to remember this without doing it .....

did you take the lens off the turn signal  ?

remove the bulb ?

look at the end of the post, should be a flat spot on it which you can put a wrench on to hold it while you turn the nut under the fender

you have to remove the wires from the bulb assembly (first) then loosen it up, remove the nut, pull the wires through the post

Good Luck
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.