Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Primary NOISE  (Read 1748 times)

bearammus

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Primary NOISE
« on: August 16, 2010, 12:21:55 AM »

I think I saw something on this but can't find it now.  Anyone have an idea of what would cause a chaffing or metalic rubbing sound when bike is in neutral and clutch lever is released?  No noise when clutch is engaged or when riding.  Thought I read something on this regarding the clutch or clutch basket?  I normally don't chase minor noises, but I'm still under warranty and would like to jump on this before it expires.  Bike has 20k miles.  Thanks

Bearammus

fix it myself

Re: Primary NOISE
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:38:23 PM »

if the bike has a self adjusting primary tensioner its a good chance it has over tightend.the chain will have damage on the side the gears run on. mine was so tight it had to have bearings and chain replaced.the wedge from SOHB cured my problems for now. spectra primary oil helped with the cluth drag and chatter in my bike. good luck

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 05:19:34 PM »

Had a very similar problem back on 8/14.  Turned out to be a bad mainshaft bearing and inner race.  In gear the noise was not as noticeable, but pull in the clutch and very bad grinding metal on metal noise.  Only had approx. 24,000 miles.  The best part is that my dealer also installed a SE Compensator while primary was pulled apart.  The original compensator was fine, but they went the extra mile and replaced it anyway.
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 05:36:45 PM »

My wife's 09 Street Glide had a metal sounding noise in the primary.......turns out the run out was .015 out.  They replaced her motor immediatly (ten days).

I had a metal sounding noise in my primary......turned out to be a bad compensator.  It got replaced.

With the history these 110's have, I'd not hesitate to get it in to the dealership.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.