Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Floorboard extentions being removed  (Read 18559 times)

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Floorboard extentions being removed
« on: June 27, 2011, 11:15:34 PM »

:oops:  Well for those of you that hadn't heard...... I put my bike down on Hwy 36 with the gang heading to tahoe GTG. I would have to say a combination of 1" shorter shocks and those floorboard  ext. decreased my lean angle considerbly. I'm sure everyone know the feeling of your floorboard hopping or skiping as touch them in a turn. With the ext on I was sliding on the frame of the floorboard which does not collapse upwards as the floorboards themselves do. I have to say it was a strange feeling to feel my back tire come off the ground as I tried to turn more and the bike just pivoted on floorboard frame. The back tire caught up with the front tire till the heat sheilds dug in and flipped me and the bike. In conclusion I feel very blessed to have been able to ride bike home for 250 miles and for bike to be riden also. I think my higher power picked me up and set me down out of harms way. For those of you considering floorboard extentions, I would have to say thumbs down for me. This is just my experience.  :2vrolijk_21: On a side note, my few little scrapes and cuts are all healed including a pretty nice shiner....thank you lord for my full-face helmet at that moment. Looking forward to Jim H-D dude putting my sweet  ride back  together and enjoying the rest of this summer's riding season.......Jon out... :orange: :2vrolijk_21:

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Floorboard extentions being removed
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 11:22:34 PM »

wow Jon,,,  glad to hear you are ok  other than the few scratches and the shiner,,  I have the floor board extenders on and never think about it,, I live in Fla and there are no twisties here at all...  Im gonna heading to NC in sept so  i will think about that,,  Jim will put your bike back together and make it all puuurty and shiny again.. Just glad that you are ok and here to tell us about it. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:11:41 AM by cvostu »

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:39:13 PM »

Hey Jon,

First off, good to hear you're okay and the bike isn't too bad???

Secondly, now you've got me thinking as I have the same set up... Shorter H-D shocks in the rear and lowered front end with the floorboard extensions AND it's on my '08 which I believe sits lower than '09 & up bikes come stock!

Thankfully I have never experienced what you did even though I have scraped the boards a number of times... I guess you were over just that much more, but you do have me thinking about removing them now.

I love your spirit of getting back on and enjoying the riding season straight away.  I wish you the best in getting your ride back sooner than later, and a safe and happy riding season after that.

Take care,
Grizzly
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:41:07 PM »

Howdy Stu, thanks for the well wishes. I would say my towering height of 5' 5" which brought on the 12" shocks had as much to do with the problem  as the floorboard extentions. Never had a problem before the floorboards though.....I put them on about a month ago. They might not be a problem if you have 13" stock shocks.... Only know my own experience. Ride safe my friend. Jon

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 11:45:05 PM »

Sorry to hear of your mishap John, but glad you are ok. I have the extenders on my bike also but my front is not lowered and I try not to drag as I had one catch years ago and was very lucky to not go down and will never forget that scare, mine was catching a foot peg that almost threw me off. I just won't ride that agressive anymore. Hope you get your ride fixed soon we missed you in Tahoe. Take care.

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 12:20:27 AM »

Hey Jon,

First off, good to hear you're okay and the bike isn't too bad???

Secondly, now you've got me thinking as I have the same set up... Shorter H-D shocks in the rear and lowered front end with the floorboard extensions AND it's on my '08 which I believe sits lower than '09 & up bikes come stock!

Thankfully I have never experienced what you did even though I have scraped the boards a number of times... I guess you were over just that much more, but you do have me thinking about removing them now.

I love your spirit of getting back on and enjoying the riding season straight away.  I wish you the best in getting your ride back sooner than later, and a safe and happy riding season after that.

Take care,
Grizzly
Thanks Grizzly, I'm lucky to have my old bike and Susans to ride......just not the same as my 10 seuc. If I could just figure out how to retire so work wouldn't keep screwing up my riding time.....

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 12:27:29 AM »

Sorry to hear of your mishap John, but glad you are ok. I have the extenders on my bike also but my front is not lowered and I try not to drag as I had one catch years ago and was very lucky to not go down and will never forget that scare, mine was catching a foot peg that almost threw me off. I just won't ride that agressive anymore. Hope you get your ride fixed soon we missed you in Tahoe. Take care.
Thanks Terry, Wish I could have made the GTG also.....miss seeing you and Karen and everyone. I was looking forward to seeing that new motor of your, hows it treating you by the way ? I've decided  that playing with floorboard scraping is a game I don't want to play anymore. Take care my friend.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 02:33:49 AM »

Very sorry about your going down Jon and missed you in Tahoe.  Very happy to hear this mishap was not worse.  I hope we get to ride together later this summer.

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 02:50:38 AM »

Very sorry to see the pics of your accident that JC posted, but so glad that you were spared any serious injury.  Sounds as if you've readjusted your riding attitude and will be enjoying riding again very soon with just a tad less aggressive 'scraping'.  :) Ride safe Jon.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 07:24:24 AM »

Jon,

I was shocked to hear about it but am glad to see that you are coming along. Is it possible to raise the board height? I know on the older bikes you can undo a bunch of bolts and slie everything up on the frame to give you more height.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

sgchick

• Sweeper
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 07:47:37 AM »

So sorry to hear you went down Jon. Glad you're ok and it wasn't worse!!! Amazing you were still able to ride the bike home after that. The bike can always be fixed :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 07:50:42 AM »

Jon sorry to hear about your accident... heal fast and fully.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 08:04:23 AM »

:oops:  ...Looking forward to Jim H-D dude putting my sweet  ride back  together and enjoying the rest of this summer's riding season.......Jon out... :orange: :2vrolijk_21:
Sorry Jon, but so glad you are going to be OK

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 08:15:48 AM »

Jonga, just a after-thought....being vertically challenged I lowered my SEEG with the adjustable air shocks (legends) so that when riding hard in the twisties like you were you can have the ground clearance yet still lower for moving the bike around in the parking lot.  Has worked well for me on the bagger.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 08:43:35 AM »

Very sorry about your going down Jon and missed you in Tahoe.  Very happy to hear this mishap was not worse.  I hope we get to ride together later this summer.

GK
Thanks Greg, looking forward to it..... :2vrolijk_21:  Jon

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 08:47:18 AM »

Glad to hear you weren't hurt and were able to get the bike home.  I have lowered a lot of bikes and messed up their handling but never had floor board extenders on them.  Will never put them on for sure now.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 08:48:24 AM »

Very sorry to see the pics of your accident that JC posted, but so glad that you were spared any serious injury.  Sounds as if you've readjusted your riding attitude and will be enjoying riding again very soon with just a tad less aggressive 'scraping'.  :) Ride safe Jon.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
I'd say that sums it up just about perfect..... I'll leave the aggresive scraping to my younger brother's  :2vrolijk_21: thanks spyder, Jon

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 08:56:53 AM »

Just glad to hear you are OK.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 09:45:03 AM »

I thought it was pretty interesting when Jon said that his floorboards never scraped, just the floorboard support brackets.  I guess due to the diminished lean angle and the slight crown in the road on that curve, it caught the brackets rather than the floor board.  And, those that were in front of him didn't scrape at all says something, too.

Definately something to consider if you're going to use those floor board extenders....especially in the twisties. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 10:13:07 AM »

john, glad your doing OK, i cringed when i saw you bike at Jim's shop. i had the extenders on the SERK and after the back end getting light on some right hand turns on the dragon a few years ago i removed the spacers from the right side, but have left them on the left side. you guys have more technical roads then most of the east coast guys do but i didnt have any issues with this setup while i was out there
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 10:59:37 AM »

Jonga, just a after-thought....being vertically challenged I lowered my SEEG with the adjustable air shocks (legends) so that when riding hard in the twisties like you were you can have the ground clearance yet still lower for moving the bike around in the parking lot.  Has worked well for me on the bagger.  spyder

Exactly what I've done also - Legend Air Shocks - lowered in low speed traffic and parking situations - raised when riding.  I'm 5'11, but with a 30 in. inseam, it's tough to get my feet planted.  This solution works well for me....   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 11:45:25 AM »

Exactly what I've done also - Legend Air Shocks - lowered in low speed traffic and parking situations - raised when riding.  I'm 5'11, but with a 30 in. inseam, it's tough to get my feet planted.  This solution works well for me....   :2vrolijk_21:

X3...the Legends are a bike saver when parking these beasts, or stuck in traffic.  I have the Kury 3/4" spacers on my new bike, just like I did on the '06, and never scraped anything other than the outside of the boards...never the brackets...and I've been known to ride pretty hard in the twisties...But, when I'm riding the twisties, I have the Legends raised all the way up, and I keep my suspension stock...13".  Plus, the Traxxion front end keeps the front from compressing as much when taking curves at speed.  I looked at the 1" spacers offered by some of the other companies, but decided against them for the very reason you discovered, Jonga.  Glad you're OK...the bike can be fixed, and it's in good hands with Jim.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 12:50:17 PM »

I thought it was pretty interesting when Jon said that his floorboards never scraped, just the floorboard support brackets.  I guess due to the diminished lean angle and the slight crown in the road on that curve, it caught the brackets rather than the floor board.  And, those that were in front of him didn't scrape at all says something, too.

Definately something to consider if you're going to use those floor board extenders....especially in the twisties. :nixweiss:
Another thing to consider if you ride a lowered bike is to practice shifting body weight way out from side to side thru tight corners so as to be able to get thru a corner faster w/o leaning the bike as much.....this can save you if you get surprised on a corner like Jon got into.  But, I find that you have to practice this (as stupid as it looks) so that it'll come 2nd nature when the emergency in a corner arises.  spyder

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 01:21:46 PM »

Another thing to consider if you ride a lowered bike is to practice shifting body weight way out from side to side thru tight corners so as to be able to get thru a corner faster w/o leaning the bike as much.....this can save you if you get surprised on a corner like Jon got into.  But, I find that you have to practice this (as stupid as it looks) so that it'll come 2nd nature when the emergency in a corner arises.  spyder

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

Right on the money spyder.  This technique has saved my bacon on more than one occasion when I managed to get into a corner too hot.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 01:33:47 PM »

Another thing to consider if you ride a lowered bike is to practice shifting body weight way out from side to side thru tight corners so as to be able to get thru a corner faster w/o leaning the bike as much.....this can save you if you get surprised on a corner like Jon got into.  But, I find that you have to practice this (as stupid as it looks) so that it'll come 2nd nature when the emergency in a corner arises.  spyder

I completed a class two months ago that taught this practice. They had us practicing by putting our chins on top of the mirror on the bagger as we went around a curve. It works and was fun but I don't see any knee pucks in my future. But it does work. The class was a MSF class called, Advanced Ridercourse Sportbike Techniques.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 02:21:35 PM »

Can the boards be raised up?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 02:27:54 PM »

Can the boards be raised up?

Not on the new frame.  But he just removed the floorboard extensions...so they're not out near as far.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 02:38:47 PM »

Not on the new frame.  But he just removed the floorboard extensions...so they're not out near as far.

I didn't know that JC. What years is that, 2008 and above?

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 03:29:01 PM »

Trying to get my head around this one.  I was taught that turning is a matter of physics: speed, wheel base and lean angle and that you change body position to stabilize and direct yourself and the bike.  In other words, how sharp you (cornering radius) will turn depends on speed, wheel base and bike lean angle.  You change body position to achieve correct lean angle.  How is it that a weight transfer alone can change the cornering radius for a given lean angle?   :nixweiss:   Can someone explain how this works?  Thanks!   Mark, do you want to chime in on this?   Inquiring mind(s) want to know. 

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

duranh

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • Random photos
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 03:34:33 PM »

Ouch, that must have been your bike I saw last Friday then. Glad to hear you are OK though.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 03:40:46 PM »

Trying to get my head around this one.  I was taught that turning is a matter of physics: speed, wheel base and lean angle and that you change body position to stabilize and direct yourself and the bike.  In other words, how sharp you (cornering radius) will turn depends on speed, wheel base and bike lean angle.  You change body position to achieve correct lean angle.  How is it that a weight transfer alone can change the cornering radius for a given lean angle?   :nixweiss:   Can someone explain how this works?  Thanks!   Mark, do you want to chime in on this?   Inquiring mind(s) want to know. 

GK

its a center of gravity thing
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 05:04:01 PM »

GK

Assuming that you countersteer to actually turn, rather than shifting your weight to make the bike lean over.(of course, whether you know it or not, you're countersteering...the bike won't turn otherwise, at least not over speeds of about 15mph), when you "hang off" the bike, the center of gravity changes, requiring less bike angle to achieve the same turning radius for any given speed.  Even something as simple as looking over the inside mirror by shifting your upper body will significantly reduce the lean angle of the bike needed to take the curve...shifting your butt off to the side makes an even more dramatic effect, otherwise the bike racers would never make the turns they make at the speeds they go.  Changing the CG allows you to carry more speed through the turn with less scraping of parts.

The number of riders who don't know about countersteering is amazing and would surprise you.  I'm not saying anyone here doesn't know, but just a general statement.

TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 05:29:25 PM »

You learned how to do that riding those 'choppers' that were slammed down so low that in order to get around a corner, you had to hang it out there or you'd never make those tight corners, huh Terry?  ::) har.  spyder

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 05:32:58 PM »

Here's a pretty good explanation I found:

Leaning counteracts the centrifugal force trying to flop the motorcycle over on the side away from center of radius of the curve. Centrifugal force acts on the Center of Gravity trying to push it outward. Gravity acts on the CG trying to pull it down to the ground. Balance occurs when the centrifugal and gravitational forces are equal.

Hanging off changes the position of the CG. It moves more mass to the inside of the bike. Imagine that the bike is upright and balanced. Now hang some mass on the left side handlebar. The bike will fall to the left because the CG is not on the vertical centerline any more. Same thing.

Hanging off changes the position of the CG such that the bike is more upright going through the turn. This does two things. First, it keeps low hanging stuff (like pegs) further from the ground giving more usable lean angle. Second, it keeps the tires more upright reducing the amount of squirm in the contact patch, increasing traction a bit.

The angle of the front tire in relation to the axial centerline of the bike is what controls the radius of the curve. Lean angle balances the centrifugal force with the gravitational force. (Remember that force = mass X acceleration. Gravity is an acceleration, changing directions is an acceleration).

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »

You learned how to do that riding those 'choppers' that were slammed down so low that in order to get around a corner, you had to hang it out there or you'd never make those tight corners, huh Terry?  ::) har.  spyder

Yea, that's the ticket  ;D ;)

In those days, Spydy, I didn't know half the time whether I was hanging off the bike or sitting up straight.  It's a wonder I'm still on this earth... :huepfenlol2:

TTS Mastertune

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2011, 05:44:13 PM »

What Neal and Terry says is correct, I believe.  I love to experiment with counter steering and find that pushing the inside hand forward helps with proper body position.  Neither Terry nor Neal specifically explain the original statement, "get thru a corner faster w/o leaning the bike as much....."  What Terry says about center of gravity is true but simply helps the bike lean which in turn, (pardon the pun) turns the bike.   So while body position / shifting will help you lean, I don't see how it can possibly get the bike through a corner "faster without leaning as much."  That defies the laws of physics that Terry explained so well above. 

Anyone? 

Thanks again. 

Sawyer Brown

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2011, 05:58:05 PM »

Greg, I thought he explained it extremely well....esp. the paragraph that described keeping the bike more 'upright' so as to not scrape low-hanging parts and with the center of gravity change you're able to accomplish this with the weight shift instead of as much 'lean' to get around the corner at the same speed.  Awww, he did it much better than I can.  Re-read his explanation again and see if it doesn't become clear.  spyder

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 11:49:45 AM »

Working on it.....

Sawyer Brown

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2011, 02:21:01 PM »

glad to hear you are all right...get riding again soon!
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 02:50:33 PM »

Glad your ok! I wouldn't put extensions on my bike, the RKC sits 1" lower than the standard RK and I already scrape the floor board mounts! I' counter steer but will have to practice the chin on the mirror thing Chip.

Craig

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2011, 03:04:40 PM »

Jon,
Sorry to hear about your new, beautiful ride getting dinged up. Glad you came out of it with only minor scrapes and bruises.

My SERK is lowered and has the extended boards and they do get the ole legs out away from the engine heat and provide more breeze on the balls :huepfenjump3: as well. But with the lowered stance man do they scrape when you are agressive on the road. The scraping does let you know the limits quickly, but I've always worried about the extensions catching something and taking the control literally out of our hands. Maybe time to swap back to the ole MOFOCO standards?  :nixweiss:

Get her fixed and back in the breeze!!
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2011, 03:06:08 PM »

They had us practicing by putting our chins on top of the mirror on the bagger as we went around a curve. SBB

:worthless:       :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2011, 06:47:25 PM »

What I can say is this guy is the Iron Man!  As someone who followed him at the the time of the accident I fully expected not to see him stand up after it...

Dude I was in awe...

You have certainly left your mark on that road!  Sorry for your fortune butit certainly could have been worst! 

God speed on the repairs and back in the wind soon!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2011, 07:02:21 PM »

Hope the State doesn't send you a bill for marking up their hwy.  I hear they need the $$.  :pimp:  har. spyder

Cigarmike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2011, 12:16:09 AM »

Good your ok Jon, some new custom paint will make ya feel a little better.
You will get no more Respect than you are willing to give.

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2011, 07:54:10 PM »

Good to hear you made it out with minimal injuries after having a get off like that. Bikes can be fixed and you'll be back out riding it soon enough. I've thought about the extensions but mine like others has been lowered in the rear and I scrape the floor boards on occasion. Guess I won't be doing them.

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2011, 12:51:41 AM »

Thanks for all the well wishs and the picture Jock. I rremember that scrape in the road very well.... Funny how that picture is worth a 1000 words. Can't wait for Jim (Metal Dragon) to  do his magic. Just sold my 06 Street Glide so I'm blessed to have Susans bike to ride till my is reborn, minus floorboard extentions. Counting the days but I'm sure its at least a month out.  :-\ I'm doing all I can to not bug the crap out of Jim while he's working and I'm waiting for my sweet ride. Hope everyone had a great 4th of July. Love this country, forever  :2vrolijk_21:.....Jon

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2011, 06:14:15 PM »

Glad to hear you weren't hurt and were able to get the bike home.  I have lowered a lot of bikes and messed up their handling but never had floor board extenders on them. Will never put them on for sure now.

I'm glad you are OK. I saw the pics in jcz's post. I hate to see it happen to anyone. I am running not one but 2 sets of floorboard extenders on my 09SERG. So my boards are out 2" and forward 1-1/2". I told some people on this forum before and they all questioned me about them. I can tell you that I concider myself an aggressive rider and I don't have any sissy bumps left on mt tires side to side. I have one extreme up hill turn I ride frequently and that is the only place I ever touched down. This is a steep banked uphill turn. I have been able to make every bike I have owned drag there when pushing the envelope. My bike still has stock shocks on it. I guess my point here is that lowering any bike can cause adverse effects. Every body who sells lowering kits has disclaimers on them stating that. So maybe a combination of lowering and extensions were the problem. I would not try to generalize that floorboard extensions are bad and will cause you to wreck. Just my thoughts. Again I am not bashing and very sorry to hear of your misfortune! I hope you get it all back like new soon and on the road!
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2011, 12:07:03 PM »

I am running not one but 2 sets of floorboard extenders on my 09SERG. So my boards are out 2"

Mc-Master Carr and you can do that with a single 2" extension

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=7720.0;all
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2011, 02:31:51 PM »

Mc-Master Carr and you can do that with a single 2" extension

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=7720.0;all

Nice but mine are also 1-1/2" forward. I love the comfort!  :2vrolijk_21:
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2011, 05:51:41 PM »

Hey Jon! Just catching this thread. I praise God you are OK.:2vrolijk_21: I have scraped mine before too. On one ride when we were in North Georgia in some twisties,and kept scraping. I just so happened to be behind Terry and was following his line and noticed he wasn't. I had to back off it to get through the rest of the ride. I later found out Terry had the legends air shocks. I believe that was what got Jerry(Ultrafxr) and JCarolyn on the same ride. Again, Praise God your OK. Would love to see ya again in Memphis...you won't have to worry about scraping anything out here! :D Love ya bro, God Bless!

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2011, 12:11:12 AM »

thanks JR, I'm sure the man upstairs was riding with me that day and everyday. Great to hear from you. Looking forward to another trip to right coast one of these days. Bless you and yoursand ride safe.  :2vrolijk_21:   Jon

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 09 SERG Silver/Titanium
    • CVO2: 86 FLST
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2011, 11:15:33 AM »

Was at Jim's yesterday dropping mine off and saw it sitting there Jon...  I think every painted part on that bike got hit. So glad u are well... the bike can be fixed. I would agree, I think God had his eye on you that day for sure.

On the extensions... I have the same ones on my bike. Was on Hwy 25 south of Hollister a few month's ago got into the corner a little late and leaned extra hard to get through it. Same exact thing happened to me... kicked the rear up pretty good and came VERY close to losing it. I've kept mine on but just lean a little less... :)

Glad u r ok.

Chuck

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2011, 09:01:13 PM »

a few month's ago got into the corner a little late and leaned extra hard to get through it. Same exact thing happened to me... kicked the rear up pretty good and came VERY close to losing it. I've kept mine on but just lean a little less... :)

Did that last year in Maggie Valley with the side without the extension. Some here will say I was riding the crap out of the bike that day. Crap at least , is correct
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2011, 11:18:51 PM »

Had missed this until tonight Jon.  Hate reading of the accident but glad to know that you're ok.  Hope you and bike are all healed very soon.

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2011, 02:31:43 AM »

Thanks Don, I'm good as new and going on a ride to the coast up north on Susan's bike. Jim, h-d dude is still waiting on parts but it on the mend......counting the days.  :2vrolijk_21:  Jon

johno

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 1994 Electra Glide Classic
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2011, 03:17:34 AM »

Hi Jon just read this glad you are OK.

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2011, 02:07:30 AM »

thanks John
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 21 queries.