Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Floorboard extentions being removed  (Read 18564 times)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Floorboard extentions being removed
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 03:40:46 PM »

Trying to get my head around this one.  I was taught that turning is a matter of physics: speed, wheel base and lean angle and that you change body position to stabilize and direct yourself and the bike.  In other words, how sharp you (cornering radius) will turn depends on speed, wheel base and bike lean angle.  You change body position to achieve correct lean angle.  How is it that a weight transfer alone can change the cornering radius for a given lean angle?   :nixweiss:   Can someone explain how this works?  Thanks!   Mark, do you want to chime in on this?   Inquiring mind(s) want to know. 

GK

its a center of gravity thing
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 05:04:01 PM »

Trying to get my head around this one.  I was taught that turning is a matter of physics: speed, wheel base and lean angle and that you change body position to stabilize and direct yourself and the bike.  In other words, how sharp you (cornering radius) will turn depends on speed, wheel base and bike lean angle.  You change body position to achieve correct lean angle.  How is it that a weight transfer alone can change the cornering radius for a given lean angle?   :nixweiss:   Can someone explain how this works?  Thanks!   Mark, do you want to chime in on this?   Inquiring mind(s) want to know. 

GK

Assuming that you countersteer to actually turn, rather than shifting your weight to make the bike lean over.(of course, whether you know it or not, you're countersteering...the bike won't turn otherwise, at least not over speeds of about 15mph), when you "hang off" the bike, the center of gravity changes, requiring less bike angle to achieve the same turning radius for any given speed.  Even something as simple as looking over the inside mirror by shifting your upper body will significantly reduce the lean angle of the bike needed to take the curve...shifting your butt off to the side makes an even more dramatic effect, otherwise the bike racers would never make the turns they make at the speeds they go.  Changing the CG allows you to carry more speed through the turn with less scraping of parts.

The number of riders who don't know about countersteering is amazing and would surprise you.  I'm not saying anyone here doesn't know, but just a general statement.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 05:29:25 PM »

You learned how to do that riding those 'choppers' that were slammed down so low that in order to get around a corner, you had to hang it out there or you'd never make those tight corners, huh Terry?  ::) har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 05:32:58 PM »

Here's a pretty good explanation I found:

Leaning counteracts the centrifugal force trying to flop the motorcycle over on the side away from center of radius of the curve. Centrifugal force acts on the Center of Gravity trying to push it outward. Gravity acts on the CG trying to pull it down to the ground. Balance occurs when the centrifugal and gravitational forces are equal.

Hanging off changes the position of the CG. It moves more mass to the inside of the bike. Imagine that the bike is upright and balanced. Now hang some mass on the left side handlebar. The bike will fall to the left because the CG is not on the vertical centerline any more. Same thing.

Hanging off changes the position of the CG such that the bike is more upright going through the turn. This does two things. First, it keeps low hanging stuff (like pegs) further from the ground giving more usable lean angle. Second, it keeps the tires more upright reducing the amount of squirm in the contact patch, increasing traction a bit.

The angle of the front tire in relation to the axial centerline of the bike is what controls the radius of the curve. Lean angle balances the centrifugal force with the gravitational force. (Remember that force = mass X acceleration. Gravity is an acceleration, changing directions is an acceleration).

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »

You learned how to do that riding those 'choppers' that were slammed down so low that in order to get around a corner, you had to hang it out there or you'd never make those tight corners, huh Terry?  ::) har.  spyder

Yea, that's the ticket  ;D ;)

In those days, Spydy, I didn't know half the time whether I was hanging off the bike or sitting up straight.  It's a wonder I'm still on this earth... :huepfenlol2:

TTS Mastertune

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2011, 05:44:13 PM »

What Neal and Terry says is correct, I believe.  I love to experiment with counter steering and find that pushing the inside hand forward helps with proper body position.  Neither Terry nor Neal specifically explain the original statement, "get thru a corner faster w/o leaning the bike as much....."  What Terry says about center of gravity is true but simply helps the bike lean which in turn, (pardon the pun) turns the bike.   So while body position / shifting will help you lean, I don't see how it can possibly get the bike through a corner "faster without leaning as much."  That defies the laws of physics that Terry explained so well above. 

Anyone? 

Thanks again. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2011, 05:58:05 PM »

Greg, I thought he explained it extremely well....esp. the paragraph that described keeping the bike more 'upright' so as to not scrape low-hanging parts and with the center of gravity change you're able to accomplish this with the weight shift instead of as much 'lean' to get around the corner at the same speed.  Awww, he did it much better than I can.  Re-read his explanation again and see if it doesn't become clear.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 11:49:45 AM »

Working on it.....

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2011, 02:21:01 PM »

glad to hear you are all right...get riding again soon!
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 02:50:33 PM »

Glad your ok! I wouldn't put extensions on my bike, the RKC sits 1" lower than the standard RK and I already scrape the floor board mounts! I' counter steer but will have to practice the chin on the mirror thing Chip.

Craig

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2011, 03:04:40 PM »

Jon,
Sorry to hear about your new, beautiful ride getting dinged up. Glad you came out of it with only minor scrapes and bruises.

My SERK is lowered and has the extended boards and they do get the ole legs out away from the engine heat and provide more breeze on the balls :huepfenjump3: as well. But with the lowered stance man do they scrape when you are agressive on the road. The scraping does let you know the limits quickly, but I've always worried about the extensions catching something and taking the control literally out of our hands. Maybe time to swap back to the ole MOFOCO standards?  :nixweiss:

Get her fixed and back in the breeze!!
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2011, 03:06:08 PM »

They had us practicing by putting our chins on top of the mirror on the bagger as we went around a curve. SBB

:worthless:       :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2011, 06:47:25 PM »

What I can say is this guy is the Iron Man!  As someone who followed him at the the time of the accident I fully expected not to see him stand up after it...

Dude I was in awe...

You have certainly left your mark on that road!  Sorry for your fortune butit certainly could have been worst! 

God speed on the repairs and back in the wind soon!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2011, 07:02:21 PM »

Hope the State doesn't send you a bill for marking up their hwy.  I hear they need the $$.  :pimp:  har. spyder

Cigarmike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2011, 12:16:09 AM »

Good your ok Jon, some new custom paint will make ya feel a little better.
You will get no more Respect than you are willing to give.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.