Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Apes?  (Read 1456 times)

JonnyD

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Deluxe
Apes?
« on: July 26, 2011, 01:26:34 AM »

Anyone put apes on their FXR 2/3/4? Saw a pic on another forum, of a 4 with apes, and I have to say it looked damn good. Not looking to get stupid, just a nice comfy set of 12's, 14's or 16's. Show your pics and details; cables, lengths, wiring used, etc.

Hank Hankerson

Re: Apes?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 04:01:07 PM »

We didn't go with apes, but one of the things we have in the works is outfitting our FXR4 with the 2011 XL1200 Custom's lower part of the riser.  They pull back roughly 2 inches, but still keep that for the most part stock look and clear the tank gauges.  No change in the triple tree is necessary for this swap.  There are two different bolt lengths that can be used, so I will post the actual length/part number of bolts when it is completed.  Also, we went with a 2011 XL1200 Custom stock chrome handlebar.  They are about 2" rise also with more pullback and they feel slightly wider than stock.  You can utilize the same handlebar top clamp for this application.  It also modernizes the look of the front end slightly without making it look "Custom".  When we do finish this swap soon, I'll post pics and let you know if any of the cables/wires needed to be lengthened. 

Bullwinkle

Re: Apes?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 07:59:31 AM »

There are a number of choices in stock HD handlebars that are more comfortable than stock:  Wide Glide, Heritage Softail, Electraglide Standard, and V-Rod Reduced Reach.  I believe all of them involve using longer control cables and brake lines.  HD makes wiring extenders and you can find them in various lengths on eBay.  To my eyes they all look about the same or better than the stock bars and are a pretty easy swap.

I put Wide Glide bars on my -3 and there is a picture in this FXR section under FXR sugestions.

I tend to go for function over form and any of these are better on a long trip than the stock bars.  A couple years ago I did a 610 mile day on my -3 with these bars and a Mustang seat with backrest and felt better than if I had done it in a car.  To me, it is worth the money and trouble when your body parts don't howl in protest.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 08:13:30 AM by Bullwinkle »

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.