Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Playing MP3s on the Zumo 660  (Read 2474 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Playing MP3s on the Zumo 660
« on: August 10, 2011, 04:40:22 PM »

Wondering if anyone else is having this problem.  Sometimes after I have been listening to MP3s thru my Zumo 660 it will upon the next start up be unable to locate any MP3 files.  WTF.  Turning it off and back on, re-selecting media player, etc, etc, all to no avail.  Must remove battery door and battery then re-insert the micro SD card.  Then it will recognize it and play fine - well until the next time it malfunctions.

So I called Garmin and you got it - they have never, ever heard of this problem.  But they replaced my unit under warranty and now after only two weeks the replacement (which was new, not a refurb) is doing the same thing.  And this is a new different brand micro SD card which I bought just to eliminate any possibility of problem with the card.

Ain't technology wonderful.  :confused5:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 05:16:14 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Playing MP3s on the Zumo 660
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 04:52:31 PM »

Wondering if anyone else is having this problem.  Sometimes after I have been listening to MP3s thru my Zumo 660 it will upon the next start up be unable to locate any MP3 files.  WTF.  Turning it off and back on, re-selecting media player, etc, etc, all to no avail.  Must remove battery door and battery then re-insert the micro SD card.  Then it will recognize it and play fine - well until the next time it malfunctions.

So I called Garmin and you got it - they have never, ever heard of this problem.  But they replaced my unit under warranty and now after only two weeks the replacement (which was new, not a refurb) is doing the same thing.  And this is a new different brand micro SD card which I bought just to eliminate any possibility of problem with the card.

Ain't technologh wonderful.  :confused5:

Pee on you Jerry.  My right elbow is 12 inches from a brand new Roadtech Zumo 660.  Only had it a couple days.  No songs even loaded on it yet.  Now you've given me something to worry about!    :huepfenlol2:

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 05:15:05 PM »

Pee on you Jerry.  My right elbow is 12 inches from a brand new Roadtech Zumo 660.  Only had it a couple days.  No songs even loaded on it yet.  Now you've given me something to worry about!    :huepfenlol2:
The iPods don't work worth a chit either if that makes you feel any better!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:08:47 PM by ultrafxr »

IBA member # 45520

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 06:48:34 PM »

I had a non HD Zumo 660 that did the same thing, I updated the software/firmware (which ever one it is) and it was better. Go to Zumo's home page and also check out http://www.zumoforums.com/ might find something there.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 07:09:24 PM »

I had a non HD Zumo 660 that did the same thing, I updated the software/firmware (which ever one it is) and it was better. Go to Zumo's home page and also check out http://www.zumoforums.com/ might find something there.
Thanks, but it is up to date already.

IBA member # 45520

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 07:14:13 PM »

Jerry

It's the defective NIM causing the issue.
Do a search on NIM''s.

SBB
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:16:05 PM by SBB »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 07:17:49 PM »

Jerry

It's the defective NIM causing the issue.
Do a search on NIM''s.

SBB
Thanks man.  Wish it were, but this is on my '07 and it does not have the NIM.  It is definitely the Zumo.  Sometimes it just does not recognize the micro SD card.  I re-seat the card and then all is good, well until the next time, lol.

IBA member # 45520

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »

Have the HD Zumo 660 & have the same problem - sometimes.  At times it finds the MP3 files, other times it does not.  Have a couple of SD cards & makes no difference which one.  One only has about 300 songs.  Take out the battery, the card,  and after you replace it, the unit will find the MP3s.

Reported this to Garmin - long story but had several units (sent by garmin as replacements) until I got one that worked & half of them did this.  So Garmin tech is aware of the problem, but my experience with them is - they suck & they do not care.  They also lie & during my swap out units caught them in several.  Customer service at Garmin tries to be helpful, but their tech people are knuckle dragging snail brains. Other than that they are the offspring of goats bred with dung beetles.  They are efficient at telling people to: update your software & turn the unit on & off.  Duh.

If you search Zumo Forums you will find this as a listed problem.  One suggestion is to wait for 2-3 minutes for the unit to "find" MP3 files.  This works - sometimes.  All my songs are in folders of about 25 songs each.  Worked GREAT on my old Zumo 550.  Same SD cards.  At times I miss the 550, but when the 660 works, it is a better unit.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 09:02:08 PM »

Thanks iski.  I feel better that I am not alone!  Seriously this is BS but I don't know what I can do.  Not really keen on continually swapping out units.  The 660 is a superb unit and the only problem I ever have had is with the micro SD card.  And since it took over a year for the original unit to malfunction I truly thought it might be a one off happenstance.  But no joy.  Seems like it is more prevalent than Garmin would lead us to believe.  Imagine that!  They must do their product development and tech support along with the moco.  :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 09:12:35 PM »

Thanks iski.  I feel better that I am not alone!  Seriously this is BS but I don't know what I can do.  Not really keen on continually swapping out units.  The 660 is a superb unit and the only problem I ever have had is with the micro SD card.  And since it took over a year for the original unit to malfunction I truly thought it might be a one off happenstance.  But no joy.  Seems like it is more prevalent than Garmin would lead us to believe.  Imagine that!  They must do their product development and tech support along with the moco.  :2vrolijk_21:

Interestingly enough, my first 660 did not do this, Jerry.  After about a year, it stopped finding satellites, and Garmin sent me a replacement unit.  Had 5 from them in all - most were jumk right out of the box - refurbished but their term is "ovehauled".  Basically cleaned up, non functioning units they just send back out.  The unit I have now, which works well except for the MP3 issue, was from my local HD dealer.  Am wondering if the glitch is in some hardware change since software updates have not fixed it yet.

While on the road have encounteed a couple more folks with this problem so it is not as isolated as Garmin tried to have me believe.  Curious as to why some units do this & others do not.  Glad you posted here.

If I run across any solution will be sure to post.  Wonder if any 665's do this?

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 09:24:17 PM »

I wish everyone with these problems the best of luck.  My question is are these things under warranty and if so
thru Moco or Garmin.  Man so far so good but I dont play mps just my xm radio. 

BUCKNUT  :2vrolijk_21:

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 09:32:13 PM »

I wish everyone with these problems the best of luck.  My question is are these things under warranty and if so
thru Moco or Garmin.  Man so far so good but I dont play mps just my xm radio. 

Warranty is thru Garmin.  And they are good about replacing but as iski said most replacements are refurbished units.  But I think I lucked out as my replacement unit appears to be brand new - but it still has developed the problem in any case.  Oh well I lived thru the '110 fix' so I guess I can make it thru this one too.  :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 09:40:11 PM »

Greg the waranty is Garmin & is 2 years, but after several non working units, I called HD in Milwaukee.  They are aware of the eff ups from Garmin on the HD units.  Their suggestion was to take the 660 to my dealer.  I did, and the unit they gave me has worked well except for this occasional MP3 issue.  My 660 was sold with my 2010.5 SEULTRA, so it was easy for my dealer to resolve.  Took them about an hour to work out the swap.

90 day waranty is a brand new unit, after that, refurbished unit.

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 10:37:30 PM »

Greg the waranty is Garmin & is 2 years, but after several non working units, I called HD in Milwaukee.  They are aware of the eff ups from Garmin on the HD units.  Their suggestion was to take the 660 to my dealer.  I did, and the unit they gave me has worked well except for this occasional MP3 issue.  My 660 was sold with my 2010.5 SEULTRA, so it was easy for my dealer to resolve.  Took them about an hour to work out the swap.

90 day waranty is a brand new unit, after that, refurbished unit.
OUCH  :confused5:  My 90 days was up on the 9th.  I hope it stays working for what I use it for. Or it will
be refurbished like Me  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 01:36:22 AM »

The iPods don't work worth a chit either if that makes you feel any better!  ;D

Ok, pee on everyone!

Loaded songs on the new memory card this evening.  This baby fired right up.  Music out the wazoo.  I'm thinking "Suckers!" about all you poor schmucks whose Zumo didn't work well with your memory cards.  I got tunes!

Shut it off and turned it back on; no tunes.  DAMMIT!  No tunes.  Reseating the memory card worked.  A few times.  But not everytime....

Screw it (for now).  Only had 200 sounds in this playlist so copied them to the Zumo's internal memory.  Good enough for now.  Especially since it's sounds like a replacement unit won't make a bit of difference.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 10:22:51 AM »

Ok, pee on everyone!

Loaded songs on the new memory card this evening.  This baby fired right up.  Music out the wazoo.  I'm thinking "Suckers!" about all you poor schmucks whose Zumo didn't work well with your memory cards.  I got tunes!

Shut it off and turned it back on; no tunes.  DAMMIT!  No tunes.  Reseating the memory card worked.  A few times.  But not everytime....

Screw it (for now).  Only had 200 sounds in this playlist so copied them to the Zumo's internal memory.  Good enough for now.  Especially since it's sounds like a replacement unit won't make a bit of difference.
I have MP3s on three 8gb and one 4gb cards.  So if I load all that chit on internal memory I probably will have to delete all the maps and routes.  I would get lost but probably would not care since I'll have my music. :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 11:47:09 AM »

Hmmm,

I'm on my second 660 after 6 month, friend of ours used up 4 (!) in 1 1/2 years. When I got my first one I initially intended to put my old 550 in ebay - glad I forgot to do so.

In Europe Garmin has to send out a new unit during the full 2 years of warranty and they indeed do so within 5 working days - but after those 2 years I may be glad I kept the old device ...
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 21 queries.