Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Left side noise on 2012 Softail Convertible  (Read 5970 times)

USMC Diablo

• Born in Ashland, KY

• CVO1: 2012 Softail Convertible Satin/Pewter
Left side noise on 2012 Softail Convertible
« on: September 04, 2012, 08:31:41 PM »

The wife and I just took a ride from San Diego to San Francisco this weekend.  Started out kind of rough with a saddlebag coming off!  Recovered what I could and marched on.  Anywa, most of the ride I kept hearing a noise on the left side of my bike.  Initially it was only as cars passed so I ignored it.  However, the longer we rode the more I noticed it.  It sounds like there is a muffled backfire, something dragging (which there isn't).  It's hard to describe but maybe sounding like there is something rolling around in the primary.  There are no performance issues what so ever, so I know that nothing is wrong witht the clutch.  I just wanted to see if anyone else experienced the same noise on their bike.  Maybe it's just road noise normal with this model?  Thanks for reading!

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
Re: Left side noise on 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:12:27 PM »

I am sorry to hear about you bag following off.  There is a whole thread about that subject.

I have not noticed any unique noise on mine.  Wish I could help you. 

Sounds like a nice ride however.  Hope you enjoyed it.

USMC Diablo

• Born in Ashland, KY

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:14:24 PM »

I have been looking for the threads on the bags flying off, but I'm new to the site and it's taking a while to start navigating.  Thanks for the info on your bike.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 10:20:56 PM »

I know that sometimes weird sounds can come from a drive belt being either too lose or too tight.  Also from malfunctioning primary chain tensioner or even a defective compensator, as was the case on my bike.  Good luck and remember it is a H-D.  
Jesus is Lord

USMC Diablo

• Born in Ashland, KY

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 10:23:33 PM »

LOL...I will remember that it is H-D.  It's my first attempt with H-D and will never go back, my others do not compare in the least.  I'll have them check out your suggestions.  THANKS

jjohn581

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 conv
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 11:17:57 AM »

There have been several threads about the saddlebags falling off.  I have yet to have it happen and double check to make sure they are latched properly but sometimes on long trips I do use a zip tie as added insurance and just peace of mind.  Here is a link to a thread about the issue.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=68930.0

Never had any noise issues so do not know what that could be.

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 11:43:10 AM »

Brother,

I feel your pain on the bag issue.  You will see my handle all over the threads on bags falling off.  In regards to the noise, check out this thread from Porkypig;

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=75979.0

He had a similar issue and it was due to the way the fairing was attached causing reflected noise.

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 02:25:41 PM »

Yes, the noises do cause some questions, that's for sure.  I'm actually still having some issues with the noises that seem to come from the engine.  I thought I isolated them to the frame resonating thru the fairing, etc.  But I have not had any real time to delve deeper into the issue.  Thinking about it deeper, it would seem that if there is some amplification of the noise thru the fairing, it must indeed exist to start with.  It does sound like a 'tapping' noise not unlike tappets in a car engine that aren't getting enough lubrication.  Still having that issue.  I have even wondered if the gaskets in the exhaust pipes are loose and getting some exhaust noise escaping and that is what I am hearing.  I believe the pipes can be tightened up but that involves removing the guards so you have access to the manifold bolts.  Does it sound like that could be the case with yours, MC??  Can be frustrating to be sure.  I had lower balancer bearing problems with my 05 heritage and I'm just not wanting to allow the Moco to tear my engine in half on a whim at this point.  Will do some experimenting of my own while it is still on warranty.  If I can't get it figured out in 2 years, I may let them do something.  It is really frustrating when you hear others talk about how good their engines run and all right from the dealership.  Mine is still bone stock and these issues shouldn't be a concern on technology that is 110 years old.  When I sit on my seat and rev the engine up a little bit, my engine sounds no different than a healthy lawn mower engine.  Do others get a different sound from their stock bike??

My thougts are if you can remove everything that you know isn't the problem, then you can focus on what the problem may be.  Hope you get it figured out and dialed in soon.   Pork.

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »

Noises on a big V-Twin which vibrates a lot, sure can be tricky to figure out.

For the best part of 6 months a rattle drove my crazy.   It sounded like it was coming from the front and would only happen whenever I was cruising at a consistent speed.  I looked at and tested every fastener I could find.  Put cardboard between parts, cables and such.  Just about every time I was on it, I would check another part.

One day I was listening to that rattle and thought that it kind of sounded like it was coming from the brake cable area and thought that I saw the cable moving.  I put my hand on it to stabilize it and kind of touched the gas cap,  BINGO.   I was the freaking GAS CAP.   Got a new one under warranty, no more rattling.

Not sure of the moral to this story, but I guess it would be to keep on looking.

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 11:16:49 PM »

My 2012  had a similar sound.  Noise was coming from the left black plastic piece that covers the tire at the lower fender area, was hitting the belt and making a grinding noise when I had a passenger or hit big bumps.  Cut off a small area of the plastic near the belt, no more grinding sound.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:46:23 PM by SteveO »

USMC Diablo

• Born in Ashland, KY

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 01:46:49 AM »

Thanks for all the replies.  I'll let everyone know what it was if the dealership finds the issue.  I go in Tuesday to have them check it out.  Hopefully it is the primary chain tensioner or even a defective compensator like it was in one of the posts.  Thanks for that by the way.  Just a quick update, the dealership, San Diego HD, were great trying to help out with the saddlebag, however, HD said they will not even entertain helping out because it's "user error" when the bags fall off.  They say they have done "extensive research" to find the problem.  I guess I screwed it up, so thank you insurance!  Thanks again all for the replies.

USMC Diablo

• Born in Ashland, KY

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 08:46:59 PM »

Well I took her in today and the deal couldn't replicate the noise.  Still have no idea what it was.  I'm hoping something was rattling around in the saddlebag somehow...

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 10:46:57 PM »

Belt guard..............

USMC Diablo

• Born in Ashland, KY

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »

That was one of the first things I checked.  Couldn't be that easy I guess...

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 06:34:30 PM »

Just found another rattle on my bike.  The muffler baffles on both mufflers, gonna try to pop out the rivets and see if I can repair !

Blackhawk

• How do you clear your mind between meetings: wind in my face at 60mph and a rumble between my legs.

• CVO1: 2012 Softail Convertable
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 09:19:53 PM »

Outside the tapping I hear which as it's own CVO110 thread, and some slight rattle when I try to be "the bat out of hell" I got nothing of value.  Good luck.

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 08:16:48 PM »

So far as mentioned I have found 3 major rattles on my bike.

Gas tank cap
Both Muffler baffles
Rear belt scraping on the plastic guard when hitting a large bump with excess suspension travel

Also found loose hardware and miss aligned parts.

Quality American Union Made product.

natabran31

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 09:59:52 AM »

My saddle bag fell off also, the dealer in tampa FL, told me that, they will replace it but i had to pay a 3rd of the price.
I did, problem solve.
Now i have a intake leak and running hotter than normal temp, its burning my pipes, it has been retune but once it warm up the fuel ratio goes 16 to 1, the dealer has not figure it out yet.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 21 queries.