Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10  All

Author Topic: CVO Bike Markup Practice  (Read 17318 times)

d-rock

• Full CVO Member
Re: CVO Bike Markup Practice
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2006, 10:08:43 AM »

Here in NH there are two dealers 30mi apart one sells at MSRP one marks up 2 or 3 grand. The thing that seems strange to me is that the one that marks them up makes no deals and still sells more bikes.  [smiley=confused5.gif]
113 inch S.E.
The parts list will never be put in writing :)

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2006, 10:19:27 AM »

I don't blame any dealer for selling bikes as high as he can. If I owned any kind of dealership or business, I would want to sell at the highest price the market will allow. As the owner, it's my responsibility to price my products where they need to be to be competitive. As a consumer, it's my job to search the market and pay the least possible price. I think it's funny that some refuse to lower thier price when a good offer is made or a bike sits on the floor for a long time. The dealer closest to me marks everything up and currently has an 05 SE Fatboy on the floor that is marked a $29,995. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but if I hadn't sold a new bike that sat for almost two years, I would lower the price and move it outa there.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

RedFXR2

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2006, 10:27:54 AM »

I don't blame any dealer for selling bikes as high as he can. If I owned any kind of dealership or business, I would want to sell at the highest price the market will allow. As the owner, it's my responsibility to price my products where they need to be to be competitive. As a consumer, it's my job to search the market and pay the least possible price.

Hammer-nail-head.

d-rock

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 10:34:47 AM »

I agree if people will pay the price  let them have it. I just cant understand why people do not shop for the best deal.
113 inch S.E.
The parts list will never be put in writing :)

RedFXR2

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2006, 10:41:25 AM »

I agree if people will pay the price

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2006, 10:45:13 AM »

The opposite of allowing the free market to set cvo prices would be price fixing. A method used quite successfully by Opec.  With that in mind, I  welcome the opportunity to shop for the best deal.    
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2006, 10:58:34 AM »

An article written at one of the moco's quarterly earnings release quoted management as saying they want to keep production at a level to discourage dealers from charging over msrp.  I have no idea what profit a dealer has if he/she sells at msrp but I'll wager that it is pretty handsome at that price.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2006, 11:42:32 AM »

I read a long time ago about a market stallholder who had one source for his cabbages and they were all the same.

Some he priced at $0.90, but other, identical, cabbages were priced at $1.50.

The $1.50 cabbages always outsold the $0.90 ones

Why? I hear you ask

Because some people prefer to pay more believing they are getting a better product

Cheers

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

RedFXR2

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2006, 11:57:56 AM »

Because some people prefer to pay more believing they are getting a better product.

Ahhh, the power of marketing.

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2006, 12:34:05 PM »

Now that i have most MSRP's memorized I get a big laugh when I go into new dealers and see the mark up and the dealer add ons. I lucked out and found a good dealer so I am sticking with them. 2 new bikes and never payed MSRP (always under) plus no freight, set up charge and security sysytem thrown in. No haggle no hassle thats the way it should be.

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2006, 01:23:03 PM »

It is the American way to build what you want and charge what you can, as long as business is done according to the law of the land.  When MoCo was using trade barriers to protect itself, things were different.  Now I don't feel they are doing anything wrong.  We can vote with our feet as we choose.  Another dealer, another model, another mode of transportation.

If the have high prices on CVO's then everybody can't afford one.  Guess what, everybody can't afford one at MSRP - $5000.  Maybe they can afford a Softail Standard.  I loved mine.  Maybe a Sportster.  I loved that bike as well.

Why would anyone pay MSRP +$5000 from a dealer they do business with and trust in their neighborhood when they can call 25 other dealers and save the $5000 and drive 100 miles to get it cheaper.

Like me, they may not have the time or feel its worth the effort.  I suspect if MSRP was $40,000 most of us would still have one.

We have the right to shop and work the system, negotiate, and deal for every dime.  Lets not call them low down and dirty for trying to make a buck.  Heck, I do it every day.  I'll bet many of you guys do too. [smiley=soapbox.gif]

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2006, 01:44:03 PM »

I read a long time ago about a market stallholder who had one source for his cabbages and they were all the same.

Some he priced at $0.90, but other, identical, cabbages were priced at $1.50.

The $1.50 cabbages always outsold the $0.90 ones

Why? I hear you ask

[highlight]Because some people prefer to pay more believing they are getting a better product[/highlight]

Cheers

Dave

My college Bus. Prof. told the tale of the "Cheese-whiz" makers doing the same thing.
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2006, 09:11:52 PM »

[highlight]"After I got back I asked the local dealer in Oakland to let me know when one came in. When the call came I went over to look at it. They wanted $4k over list and would not budge on price. I was shocked since I have never paid over list for a motorcycle. I was a new customer to them who was ready to purchase on the spot. No deal. I told them that I would be willing to wait for another one to come in. No deal![/highlight]"

Clyde,
Oakland dealer still has the Blue SERK3 & YellowSE Springer sitting on the floor @$5K over MSRP along with a 2006 SEUC w/500 miles and
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 02:43:12 AM by CVOJOE »
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

ace4059

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2006, 11:51:26 PM »

My advice to anyone who is being quoted over MSRP is to get on the HD website and print out a list of dealers within an "x" hunderd mile radius of your home (however far you are willing to drive to pick up your new bike) and get on the phone and start making phone calls to the sales manager of each dealership and tell them you are serious and ready to buy today at MSPR, and you should be able to find a dealer that is willing
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 11:54:22 PM by ace4059 »
There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.- Roger Staubach.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2006, 12:01:30 AM »

Some years back you had to stand in line on new year model release day to get a lottery ticket to "win" the opportunity to buy at asking price (whatever it was). If you were "lucky" enough to win in the lottery, you had to produce a 10% non-refundable deposit on the spot. You did not get the "luxury" of choosing color or options. You were notified when your bike arrived to the stealer and you had 7 days to produce the balance (securing financing if applicable) and take delivery. Otherwise you "defaulted" and they went on to the next "lucky" guy/gal on the list. Price negotiation was a novelty reserved for the Japanese dealership down the street.

I don't really think that many stealers have ever let go of that mentality, even after MoCo increased production and ... well frankly demand wavered in the face of Jesse James customs, Big Dogs, Titans, Victories, "every other county" choppers and all the others who have long since gone out of business.

But the truth is that every single day, some guy or gal out there gets that one paycheck that gets their "HOG fund" savings to the point necessary for them to trade in their JapCrap and finance their dream machine which is... and but for the grace should always be - a shiny new Harley Davidson.

Fact is, quite simply, the Stealerships charge what they do because they can. And they can because in our hearts and souls we all want Harley Davidson to always be the American legend that we grew up believing it to be.

Soap box surrendered.
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.