Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Full faced helmets in the Southern heat  (Read 14689 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Full faced helmets in the Southern heat
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 09:28:11 AM »

HD are super expensive HJC helemts... ;)

ultrarider123

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 09:35:49 AM »

HD are super expensive HJC helemts... ;)

True, but most dealerships at least have larger sizes so Joe may be able to try 'em on at least.... :nixweiss:

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 09:51:11 AM »

Joe, my new Neotec is a 2X and seems on the small side to me, too.  I don't think it's much, if any, larger than my XL Nolan.  But a 2X Nolan was huge on me, so maybe they run big and a 2X or 3X will end up being just what you need.  Good luck!

Thanks Brian! I bought my first helmet (this time) the day I got my bike and it lasted 4 days. It was an HD and the styrofoam dug into my head and it had to go. The one I'm wearing now (HJC 3/4) was bought on the road because my head was hurting from the HD. It's OK but really doesn't fit like I would like it to. I'm going to take my time on this purchase and hopefully find one I'll like for the long haul.

I dunno, but after meeting you, it appears that you may have a box fer a noggin... :huepfenlol2:

I got so frustrated getting a fit, I cut out a carboard sheet and kept trimming it until it fit around my squash...the outline was frightening... :huepfenlol2:

I always say "you can't park a bus in a one car garage". Takes a big melon to house all this brain :huepfenlol2:. At least, that's my story! I'm sure you know what I mean!!

I hate throwing this out there as most of the comments are on aftermarket/other-than-HD helmets.  I looked back through the threads and don't see any mention of the HD helmet options.  I know they have larger sizes in their selections at most dealerships....may be something to at least try on for comparison.  I know I'm very happy with my HD Hybrid half helmet.  While not a 3/4 or full face, it's VERY comfortable and light weight...my two cents.

Howard

I tried the HD FXRG and one other HD modular helmet first (my dealer gives me 15% off) but it fit kinda like the Neotec I tried on yesterday. They didn't have anything bigger than a 2X and even they suggested I try shopping somewhere else. I think they remembered what I put them through when I bought my Heritage. I tried on every lid in the store.

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2013, 10:51:09 AM »

We went to a Honda store that carried all brands of helmets and had a trying on fest in the store. After a few hours made our decision. After years of no helmets, beanies and half helmets a full face/modular for me was tough to get use to. When we got home I put it on and wore it around the house, even made a few phone calls from my helmet  :huepfenlol2:...yep looked like a dork, but better than going down the road and having a claustrophobia attack. I now love my Nolan helmet  :2vrolijk_21:
We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2013, 10:55:39 AM »

What else were you wearing? Hmmmm.... ::) :huepfenjump3:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2013, 12:59:15 PM »

I urge you to read the stuff on webbikeworld about head shapes.  A "normal" head shape is something between round and oval and many helmet manufacturers build their helmets to fit this shape, as that is the majority of people.  But, if you've got a head that's Earth shaped (round when viewed from the top) and try to put it in a "normal" helmet, it is likely to be tight on the sides of the head.  Same is true for a head shape that is a long oval...pressure point will be on the forehead, which can be VERY uncomfortable.  If the pressure point is not really bad, you can take the back side of a spoon and use it to compress the foam a bit to reshape that portion...I'm not saying to do it a LOT, but compressing it 1/16th of an inch here and there can make a HUGE difference in comfort level.  I've even pulled back the liner and taken a piece of emery cloth and slightly sand a bit of foam out of the hot spot area...again, not reshaping or removing enough material to compromise the integrity of the helmet's safety design.  Also, a new helmet is going to fit tight until it adjusts to your head a bit.  You also have to consider whether your head is "tall", how far your jaw bone protrudes, etc.  Most flip face helmets have more room between the chin/mouth than a true full face to allow for the pivoting action, but some are closer to your mouth than others.

The reviews on webbikeworld of each helmet discuss what head shape might fit best in any particular helmet.  I would suggest you read the review on the HJC you are looking at.

Unfortunately, there are not many manufacturers who design helmets for different head shapes...the only one I am aware of is Arai, and they currently do not offer a Flip Face helmet.

Whatever you end up with, I would suggest that you wear it around the house for at least an hour before committing to it 100%...or do so in the store.  You might look dorky, but in the long run you'll be happy you did.  In an hour or so, you'll find out if there are any hot spots.

Since the Shoei is now out of the picture, I'd strongly recommend giving the Nolan N-104 a good look.  If you can't find what you're looking for at the local Cycle Gear shop, or some other bike shop, Revzilla is a good source...it might cost you a few dollars to ship it back and get another size, but they are very good to work with from my experience and they get good reviews on line for their customer service.  They also do some excellent video reviews on gear.

Your Mama didn't drop you on your head as a baby, did she?   ;) :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »

I spent some time on webbikeworld last night. Lot's of info there. I really like the look of the N104. Hopefully I'll find one around here that'll fit but if not, I'll try Revizilla. I didn't realize you could return helmets.

Not sure if Mom ever dropped me but Dad drank a lot so there's no telling what might have happened.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2013, 03:00:38 PM »

Joe, I highly recommend this vendor:  http://www.sierra-mc.com/default.asp

Bought lots of stuff from them over the years and got both my and momma's HJC modulars (they carry other brands also) from them having them install the J&M headsets.  Mine didn't fit quite right so I sent it back for another.  No problem, no hassle, just the cost of return postage.  They are great to work with from my experience.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2013, 03:14:15 PM »

Thanks Jerry! I'll check them out too.

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2013, 10:46:13 AM »

Hey Joe! :drink:

I have watched all the reviews and think they are pretty good from Revzilla. I purchased 3/4 HJC from them for Deb and I. Mine fit fine but Deb needed to go a size up. No problems swapping out. They were very helpful too!

http://www.revzilla.com/modular-motorcycle-helmets

I agree what Terry said. You have to wear it around the house for at least 1 hour or 2. That's the only way you will know if you are going to develop a hot spot like you had with your HD helmet. On my first Nolan modular I developed a hot spot right in the forehead. I removed liner and buffed out ever so slightly a section of the Styrofoam and that fixed the problem. I am looking to upgrade again myself. The one I wear now I got from Terry and it has been great. Just looking for one with an internal shade visor as I am wearing my glasses more often. Good luck buddy!

:bananarock:

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2013, 11:13:20 AM »

Good Morning John!

I've been looking at the websites, including Revzilla for about a week now. I'm an info junkie but I've just about OD'ed on helmet info. I've really got my sights set on the Nolan N104 based on what I've read. I'm going to try to find one today that I can try on and if that doesn't pan out or if I can't get the same pricing I'm going to order one on line. Revzilla has the best price I found on line by about $20 so far and I really like what I've heard about them here. I'll let y'all know how this ends up.

Take care.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2013, 07:08:20 PM »

Went to four different stores and tried on a bunch of modular helmets today. The only one that fit decent was a Shuberth C3. It was a little tight at my forehead but I think it could work with a little tweaking. I never did find a Nolan N-104 so I've decided to order one from Revzilla and give it a shot. If the Nolan doesn't fit better than the Shuberth, I'm going to go with the C3.

As a footnote, the salesman suggested I tried a 3XL C3 PRO and it was way too tight! I couldn't believe the difference between it and the regular C3. I couldn't hardly get it on my head! I thought it was a 2XL that was mismarked but I tried two and they were the same. Crazy.

Mountainman streetbob

• Just Ride, Daily if possible, Just Ride!!!!!!!
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 SE7 CVO Electra Glide Ultra
    • GA

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2013, 08:48:54 PM »

Great Thread!

On a personal note, full face he,mets are much safer as far as neck and chin injuries go. I am living proof that a full face helmet can save your life. 21 years ago Shoei made the difference between a good headache and coma... Just a thought besides the comfort factor. I personally have 4 helmets and choose between styles depending on the trip.
2012 CVO SE7 ElectraGlideUltra Cams??? PowerCommanderV Crocodile Seats, rhinehardts,xm, Ipod, Nav-Zumo...
Windscreen, driver backrest handlebars, fulsac COMING SOON

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2013, 08:52:38 PM »

Well Joe, sounds like you have a Hog Head!!! Get it, Hog....Head!!! Wahahahahahaha I crack myself up! :o :D ;D :huepfenlol2: :drink: :2vrolijk_21: Sorry, I couldn't help myself Joe, Love ya man, God Bless!

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2013, 09:24:34 PM »

Great Thread!

On a personal note, full face he,mets are much safer as far as neck and chin injuries go. I am living proof that a full face helmet can save your life. 21 years ago Shoei made the difference between a good headache and coma... Just a thought besides the comfort factor. I personally have 4 helmets and choose between styles depending on the trip.

At this point, I'll be happy with one that fits.

Well Joe, sounds like you have a Hog Head!!! Get it, Hog....Head!!! Wahahahahahaha I crack myself up! :o :D ;D :huepfenlol2: :drink: :2vrolijk_21: Sorry, I couldn't help myself Joe, Love ya man, God Bless!

If I was sensitive I'd have a real complex by now John. You should see the looks I've got when the 3X's don't come close to fitting. The worst was from Janet!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.